an age-old question... is the gibson worth it?

bluesboy

• Members

Im currently in a dilemma that i know many many people here are curious about... I already have a really nice epiphone les paul standard, that looks and plays and sounds fabulous (with seth lover pickups). I am not disatisfied with this guitar at all. HOWEVER, i've been lusting after a gibson les paul standard for a long time (years!). is it worth it to drop the dough? Opinions please!

and because this has been asked a billion times ill add my own :deadhorse:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes and no.

They're great guitars. Slightly overpriced yes, but .. it's Gibson, so pretty self explanatory.

There are guitars with more features (eg Long Tenon) that are slightly cheaper which have similar specs; but I'm sure someone will mention it. (Those-guitars/That-brand start/s with an E.)

Really depends what you're looking for.

• Members

Im currently in a dilemma that i know many many people here are curious about... I already have a really nice epiphone les paul standard, that looks and plays and sounds fabulous (with seth lover pickups). I am not disatisfied with this guitar at all. HOWEVER, i've been lusting after a gibson les paul standard for a long time (years!). is it worth it to drop the dough? Opinions please!

and because this has been asked a billion times ill add my own
:deadhorse:

I don't think it is worth the money to buy a brand new chambered Gibson Les-Paul.

If you really want a Gibson LP then buy a USED pre-chambered version.

• Members

From my experience you need to get the Gibson. I bought an Epiphone as a substitute but always new I wanted to get a Gibson, so I just pulled the trigger one day and don't regret it a bit. Mind you I bought an SG special rather than Standard but I've grown to love my guitar and wouldn't trade it for anything...... well maybe anything under a few grand! haha!

Bottom line I think if you always want that one "Gibson", then it's worth any amount to get exactly what you want, otherwise it'll be in the back of your mind for even longer.

• Members

I think part of the deal is how much you want A Gibson.

Some people want a Gibson like others want a Harley. It's got very little to do with the ACTUAL qualities , and a lot to do with your perception of the brand.

If you want

the best guitar you can get for your money, a Gibson may not be the best option.

If your heart is set on a Gibson (as mine once was) then the pleasure you will get simply from owning it is hard to put a monetary value on, and no other guitar will do.

• Members

Is a Gibson worth it? Is gasoline worth it?

IMO Gibsons are overpriced. But I have one and just ordered another one yesterday. Of course I'll be 50 this year and have the money to spend. Call it my midlife chrisis.

I have a first cousin a year or two older than me. He is a professional musician and has been playing for 40 years. He bought (or his mom did) a new Gibson Les Paul in 1967. He has one guitar, that Les Paul. He also has a Brian May guitar but it isn't played. For him, it was worth it. As a matter of fact, that guitar is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars now.

Do you need a Gibson? Do you need gasoline?

The choice is entirely up to you alone. Not us. Choose wisely.

FP

• Members

IMO...no, Gibsons are not worth what you pay for them new. However, you can find good deals on used ones. You just have to be patient, and play a lot of them. But, if you have the money and can't live with anything else, they can be great guitars. If were going to buy a higher-end guitar like a Gibson or high-end Fender, I would not order one over the internet or the phone. Play every one you can get your hands on in your price range until you find "the one." You'll know the first time you play it. Found my "the one" a few months ago in a local shop. Never expected to find it right here at home. When you find that guitar, you may be surprised at which model it is. There have been a lot of posts here lately about people that went in to buy a LP Custom or Standard, and ended up buying a Studio or Vintage Mahogany model because they liked the way it played and sounded better.

Just my 2 cents...

• Members

I was once a very so-so guitar player. I had hit a plateau years earlier. I was sad and insecure. I was shy.

Then I got my first Gibson. I have three now. My playing immediately went up to the next level, and then to the one after that. I became confident. I strap on one of my Gibsons and immediately feel an infusion of power and strength. I am connected, through the Gibson, to the audience and to generations of blues and rock & roll music.

So ...it's been worth the money.

• Members

IMO... There have been a lot of posts here lately about people that went in to buy a LP Custom or Standard, and ended up buying a Studio or Vintage Mahogany model because they liked the way it played and sounded better.

Just my 2 cents...

+1.

Dont judge a book by it's cover...the perfect Gibbo for you might not be what you think it is!

One time, when I had some money, I had been particularly looking for a Les Paul. I spent some time in a shop checking out what they had. The LP's just were not doing it for me, so I kept playing. I tried a '61 reissue SG...nice enough guitar, but the neck was too thin, and it didn't sound that great to me. I tried ourt an SG special, in all honesty not expecting great things.

I really liked it...the feel was spot on, nice chunky neck ( though I now prefer them just a little slimmer) sounded great. Had a bit of a dry board, but I bought it, and bought a US Tele with the change!:D

I've still got it..good workhorse guitar.

• Members

There have been a lot of posts here lately about people that went in to buy a LP Custom or Standard, and ended up buying a Studio or Vintage Mahogany model because they liked the way it played and sounded better.

That's exactly what I did. I bought a Studio. I just ordered a Gibson of the Week as an investment. It may do better than my 401k.

FP

• Members

Everyone says to not get it on ebay.....try a bunch at a store......

but I don't think you can go wrong if you watch the auctions for awhile to get a feel for what the Gibby's are going for.....then wait for a deal and go for it.....

If you aren't happy...you can always turn it back around and get your money back......that in combination with a few trips to a Gibby dealer to decide WHAT exactly to look for..

• Members
Everyone says to not get it on ebay.....try a bunch at a store......

but I don't think you can go wrong if you watch the auctions for awhile to get a feel for what the Gibby's are going for.....then wait for a deal and go for it.....

If you aren't happy...you can always turn it back around and get your money back......that in combination with a few trips to a Gibby dealer to decide WHAT exactly to look for..

Just beware that eBay is infested with Chinese fakes, and the fakes are getting better & better, and they are being re-sold in the US. You could be next. :eek:

• Members

do what i did buy an epi Lp and get gibson pups pots and switch, and put them in. The the only difference between the gibson and your epi will be the wood (whitch is a slight difference) and the clear coat ( once again slight difference). If you go this route get an epi LP Plain Top, because it is solid mahogany rather than mahogany/alder. I put in the Burstbucker2 and 3 in mine at it is hot, sounds perfect though my Marshall half stack.

So is a Gibson worth it? sure if you just want a Gibson, but if you want a great guitar there are other ways :thu:

• Members

In my opinion, no. But I'm not a Gibson fan at all. It's just every other Les Paul I play seems to have shoddy workmanship and play pretty nastily. Why can't they be as consistent as Fender?

The only Gibson I would get is an SG special.

• Members

I agree with metalhead. Maybe an upgraded Epi is 95% of the guitar a Gibson is, but if having a real Gibson makes you happy, there's nothing wrong with that. Get a Gibby.

But shop around and be careful. My friend just sold his Standard (one of the first ones with Burstbuckers). It was better than any Epi I've played, but I don't think I would have payed $2,000 for it. If you apply the same logic people use when buying Squiers and MIM Strats, really testing everything out and picking the best of say 10-15 different Standards, I guarantee you will have a killer guitar that you will be very happy with.

Archived