an age-old question... is the gibson worth it?

bluesboy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think it is worth the money to buy a brand new chambered Gibson Les-Paul.

If you really want a Gibson LP then buy a USED pre-chambered version.

+1 on the pre-chambered. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Gibson VM when I spotted a used Special. Lots of people don't like the weight of the older Gibbys but I'm a pretty big guy so it doesn't bother me. Also, when a shook the VM, there was a rattle in one of the chambers - probably just some wood chips but WTF when you're paying big $?

On your Gibby vs Epi question - if you can swing the $, I think it's worth it to have an American-made plank that you will never second guess ("Should I have gotten the Gibson?")

• Members

+1 on the pre-chambered. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Gibson VM when I spotted a used Special. Lots of people don't like the weight of the older Gibbys but I'm a pretty big guy so it doesn't bother me. Also, when a shook the VM, there was a rattle in one of the chambers - probably just some wood chips but WTF when you're paying big $?

On your Gibby vs Epi question - if you can swing the $, I think it's worth it to have an American-made plank that you will never second guess ("Should I have gotten the Gibson?")

I don't think that the VM is an entirely accurate indicator for the other Les Paul models. All the new standards and classic customs I have tried seem to have something I haven't seen in Gibson in a long while now. Consistency. The QC seems to have improved according to the dozen or so Les Pauls I have tried.

Having said that, I am having trouble dealing with the chambering so my route has been cut to going used or Custom Shop.

FWIW, the guitars sounded good and were consistent in terms of playability and tone.

• Members

I was one of the ones set to drop a few bucks on an LP and shopped around for a few months to be honest. I've been wanting one for as long as I can remember and wanted to make sure that it was what I wanted and no regrets. Couldn't do it with anything I found less than $2K locally. I ended up trying out a few of the VM's and A/B'd them with a few of the pricier LP's and while it may be a case of unusual circumstances here, there was no comparison. Cost or not, this particular VM just had 'it'.

That's how I would go about purchasing this guitar if I was you. Find the one you want and pull the trigger, not the one that you think that you want.

And I would have honestly bought this guitar if it said Epiphone on the headstock.

• Members

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by "chambered"?

Not a dumb question at all. Gibson started boring out the bodies to provide weight relief. So essentially, there are chambers throughout the body of the guitar and thus, it is lighter.

Archived