Am I justified in wanting a SG?

Fine_Young_Fool

• Members

Right now I have an Epi LP Custom Plus Flametop deal (man i get tired of saying that...), but I really want an SG. I am tired of having a guitar made not made by the actual company (I know Epi is owned by Gibson, but it still bugs me) that created the original design.

I really want an SG though. I have tried asking for trades on cheap (faded or special) SG's throughout the classified forums, but no one is responding. And my guitar is really nice (Around $900 w/ case) but it seems to have the Epi stigma ruining it for me.

I have no other reason to want an SG other than I just do. Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother, and band I love/hate (it is hard to not get pissed at em for being so blatantly derivative, I guess I more envy them than anything...) plays one, and I just think they are uber awesome.

Is there really a huge diffrence between an LP and SG? Is it so wrong to want one?

Also, what are the tonal differences in an LP and SG?

Yours truly,

A confused and sad guy (:confused:)

~FYF

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Higher end Epi's are much better than lower end Gibsons IMHO. as for tonal difference SGs sound thinner mostly but frankly its different on every guitar and since you wont have the same pickups it will probably sound much different.

Also if i were you id get over the name brand thing as that road leads to an expensive and often dissapointing end, especially with Gibsons quality control these days.

• Members

Is there really a huge diffrence between an LP and SG? Is it so wrong to want one?

~FYF

why don't you go and play one at the store and see if you like it. be sure to play it standing up with a strap rather than sitting down, it makes a difference.

• Members

Also if i were you id get over the name brand thing as that road leads to an expensive and often dissapointing end, especially with Gibsons quality control these days.

Fair enough, I have played an Epi LP once, and it was crappy. It was one of the nicest models available too. And with the brand name thing, I guess it just feels wrong to me, I don't know why.

• Members

Okay, here are the facts.

The guitar I own is not an elitist, but it is the nicest EPi LP besides an elitist. It is $700 dollars, the case was $130, straplocks $20, so I count that as close to $900 dollars, so don't be nit picky.

Thanks NED, that was a very helpful post. THe problem is not whether I believe I am worth it or not. The problem is that I am going to have a hard time justifying my move from Epi LP to a Gibson SG if I ever have the opportunity. Yes, I am a teen still living with my parents, obviously, and they are pressuring me to save up for a car (I have a job) and I am not sure that I will have a valid enough point to sway him, as he always goes on about contentment, and never being happy with what we have, or whatever.

So really, I don't exactly know why I made this post, I just wanted to see if there were at least some people who would not give me a hard time about it.

• Members

I am here to help you. To administer meaningful aid to you we must, first, accurately identify the true problem or situation or mind-set that is plaguing you.

So, here is my diagnosis:

1) Your problem is NOT whether you are right to "want" this or that model of guitar. It's not about the money, either. This is HCEG. We are all in to guitars, for their own sake. There is no such thing here as needing to "justify" an urge to possess a guitar. Your concern is fraudulent, it is non-valid. You invented this concern to mask (hide) the truth from yourself. Let us set aside this bogus concern and move on.

2) Your problem has nothing to do with any uncertainty regarding the differences between an "SG" and an "LP". Nothing. Another fraudulent concern, created by you to mask the truth from yourself. There ARE differences between SG's and LP's, but those differences have nothing much to do with you or your problem. We will set this bogus concern aside, also.

But before we move on, I'd like to call your attention to the quotes I put around "SG" and "LP". Why did I do that? It's a hint for you! I did it because YOUR use of the terms SG and LP is meaningful. You say you want to know the tonal differences between an SG and an LP. Ha. You are full of beans. Here's why:

3) Your real problem is that you are having trouble accepting the difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson. You have attraction/repulsion issues regarding Gibson and Epiphone. You WANT a Gibson. But you want to pay the price offered by Epiphone. You really wish you could get a Gibson for an Epiphone price. When you initially purchased your Epiphone, you thought you WERE getting a Gibson for an Epiphone price. You thought the difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson was "just the name." Now, you are less sure. You're having second thoughts.

-------------------

And you SHOULD be having second thoughts. Because Epiphone and Gibson are a lot different. They are more different than they are alike.

Epiphone is the Gibson Company's response and reaction to complaints about high prices. They offer Epiphones, which are fine, well made guitars at budget prices. Anyone who thinks that Gibson prices are "wrong" or that they constitute some sort of ripoff, has not examined an Epiphone lately. Epis are cool guitars, and they are great values.

But Gibsons are better guitars, quite a lot better. Are they enough better to be worth the price difference? Ahhh -- that's something that smart people disagree about. There is no "final answer" to that question. But there is general agreement that Gibsons are certainly better.

So -- here's my advice:

* Understand that you want a Gibson, but are having trouble giving yourself permission to just buy a Gibson. You are struggling, pretending that there is some objective "truth" about Gibson vs. Epiphone. Armed with that insight, you should be able to come to a workable conclusion for yourself.

* The REAL question is NOT whether a Gibson is worth the extra money, over and above what a similar Epiphone would cost. The REAL question is: are *YOU* worth the money? Can you let yourself get what you want, simply because you want it, without "justifying" the preference?

I have 3 Gibsons. I gave in a long time ago. I'm glad I did. I'm much happier now.

You are welcome.

• Members

SG's = raunchy, nasty, goodness
:thu:

IMG_6587.jpg

That is a HAWT SG there.

to the OP:

Don't get rid of your Epi unless you can get a satisfactory price for it. Taking a big hit on a good piece of equipment to satisfy GAS is not a good thing.

Otherwise ... just $ave $ave $ave.

Deals do pop up on Ebay every now and again.

For instance, I found my SG, an early model faded (crescent inlays), with all black hardware, and Iommi humbuckers to boot, was at $399 BIN on the bay.

There wasn't a damn thing wrong with it and the upgrades did what they were supposed to do. They upgraded it.

That was one of my best purchases.

• Members

I reposted this because I tried to edit it and totally screwed it up:confused:

Okay, here are the facts.

. Yes, I am a teen still living with my parents, obviously, and they are pressuring me to save up for a car (I have a job) and I am not sure that I will have a valid enough point to sway him, as he always goes on about contentment, and never being happy with what we have, or whatever.

So really, I don't exactly know why I made this post, I just wanted to see if there were at least some people who would not give me a hard time about it.

If we are always content with what we have, we never strive to be anything more than what we are. Check and see if your parents are driving the same car they were in high school. If wanting a Gibson makes you work harder to get a better job, become a better guitar player and be a happier person, then go for it. Just remember the guitar won't do the work for you.

And listen to guitarNed-he knows what he is talking about

• Members

Definatly get to a Guitar Center and Rock some SG's. They carry are Great line of them their. From CS to the Faded's. IMO I would try to get into a used Standard or better. From the Standard Up you start seeing Gibsons craftsmanship and wood selection increase. The Faded's are not Bad SG's. But they are inconsistant with multiple body piece's and little appointments. And they run $575 at BEST new. I paid $600 for my used SG Standard and its an absolute Killer Black 1999 Original SG w/OHSC in great cond. They usually go around $800-up but you will occasionally find them cheaper when the owner needs cash. In my case the original owner was just a few hundred short on purchasing a 59 RI Les-Paul. So he took the first $6 and RAN from a newspaper Add he pladed. I happened to pick-up the paper the fisrt day the guitar was featured.

My immmediate re-action playing a Standard..........NECK SIZE. Mines a 99 and has a VERY large neck which is suppose to be a 59 profile. But I have 3 other 59's and none as Big as my SG. My 99 also has a ABR-1 bridge instead of a T.O.M. which I like better.

But as far as WANTING a SG. Not a Bad electric to play! They are without a doubt ONE of the most comfortable electrics designs I have played. Not to say Strats arn't comfortable or whatever. PS [another thing is make sure your's is NOT neck heavy]. SG's could be neck heavy. Gibson always has liked to put 490-498 pups in their Standard and down SG's. While they certainly are not BAD pick-ups....[bB-KING plays 490's]. Many do not like them and opt for 57's or BB-Pro's or even Ceramic a 496/500T set! But that is a easy switch if its a issue.

The most important issue is the feel and sound projection. Get outb their and play a few. See how they feel to you. They are a pretty tight set-up. Your hand position is pretty exact on a SG. Where on a Strat there is more neck to bridge area to move your picking hand. On a SG the hand placement is exact and very well thought out. I always felt SG's were a EXCELLENT designed guitar. And really they are timeless. Been in constant production since its introduction in the early 60's Good Luck!

• Members

I really want an SG though.

I have no other reason to want an SG other than I just do.

If you want a SG get an SG. They're great sounding guitars. They're on a large number of great recordings. Tone wise I'd say they're a little warmer sounding than Les Pauls.

• Members

i love SGs! my favourite guitar design for playing lead/jamming, just a shame they're a little neck-heavy

if you want sweet distorted sounds, and good upper fret access get an SG

may i suggest this...

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00540

check out the reviews

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Vintage/VS6+SG+Copy/10/1

im sure you could find it cheaply in the 'Merica

i have an Epi SG deluxe (sunburst) and it was MUCH better than 2 gibson SGs i played that friends owned (apart from the pickups)

i really wouldnt look at Gibson as your only choice

• Members

Higher end Epi's are much better than lower end Gibsons IMHO. as for tonal difference SGs sound thinner......

I think it's a myth that SG's sound thinner. I own two LP's and two SG's. Gibson SG are all mahagony, which actually gives them a slightly darker tone. A LP which is mahagony with a maple cap has a big sound with a little more of a high-end snap due to the maple cap.

• Members

He was very helpful, but kind of a smart@$$.
:thu:

But he is right,I know how these things(obsessions) work.You won't stop thinking about this until you get a Gibson SG and if you buy a cheaper one like a faded or a special you wont be happy until you get a Standard or a 61 RI or something even more exotic.Thats how it works.

Archived