Am I justified in wanting a SG?

Fine_Young_Fool

• Members

This thread makes me want to justify having 3 instead of 2 Gibson SG's:eek:

:cool:

You don't have it too bad Salsage, try justifying this... :cool:

newgibwall.jpg

To the kid - It's always okay to lust after different guitars but your parents are trying to help you get your priorities in the right order. Listen to them.

-Ron

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You don't have it too bad Salsage, try justifying this...

newgibwall.jpg

To the kid - It's always okay to lust after different guitars but your parents are trying to help you get your priorities in the right order. Listen to them.

-Ron

hey another member since June 01 been around for awhile ?

Love your gear

Gas:eek::eek::eek:

• Members

G.A.S. stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Sorry, can't give you one just wanted to see where your interest lay. I actually got the standard and the MIM Strat at a local pawn shop for $750 for the pair. No OHSC with the SG though.

• Members

I would guess that if you get a real Gibson SG that you like you will probably be proud to own it and play it the rest of your life. For some people, the most badass of Epiphones or some other import/copy will still not scratch that Gibson itch.

As far as the tone. To me a really great SG doesn't necessarily sound thinner than an LP, just a bit harsher and more in your face. It's not a bad thing and it really only applies to the bridge position pickup. The neck position of a great sounding SG is just as buttery and full as most LPs to me.

• Members

I think it's a myth that SG's sound thinner. I own two LP's and two SG's. Gibson SG are all mahagony, which actually gives them a slightly darker tone. A LP which is mahagony with a maple cap has a big sound with a little more of a high-end snap due to the maple cap.

Its different from guitar to guitar but in general from the many SG and LP's ive played it seems like the SGs have a somewhat darker like you said, but the LPs maple cap brings clarity to a certain lower freq that makes them sound bigger IMHO.

Personally im not an SG fan, the only SG i would consider buying is the Epi Iommi just because of the pickups and the price of said pickups.

• Members

Fair enough, I have played an Epi LP once, and it was crappy. It was one of the nicest models available too. And with the brand name thing, I guess it just feels wrong to me, I don't know why.

Im confused, i thought you said you owned an Epi?? I kind of hope you've played it more than once....:freak:

Regardless you really need to actually play a guitar before you can say that guitar is good or bad. There are some godawful Gibsons and some fantastic Epiphones, and the reverse is true as well. When i bought my main guitar, which is an Epi Les Paul Standard, i play about a dozen epi LP's and a couple Gibson LPs and that one guitar was the one which felt and sounded the best.

• Members

hey....I'm new but bored So i'm going to weigh in. You live with your parents? An important thing to realize is that they have to work to earn the money it's going to take to spend on that guitar. I am not sure about their financial situation but I am sure about once thing. You have a nice guitar in the Epi. Guitarned is right about alot of stuff. In my expierence there isn't that much difference between epi's and gibsons. I once had a side by side comparison with a high end Gibson and an Epiphone LP standard that was rather enlightening for me. They feel A LOT alike and sound A LOT a like. The stuff that i care about was the same.

If you were an adult and buying this guitar yourself and could budget it out I would say go for it. You are justified in WANTING the guitar. Your parents have done you right by getting you the EPI. It's a great guitar and will serve you well. If you want to get the gibson you need to choose to save up for it and get it - yourself. If that is more important to you than the car then that choice is up to you. Being stuck at home with a gibson or having wheels and an Epi? Remember you can always have both it just might take a while.

• Members

Im confused, i thought you said you owned an Epi?? I kind of hope you've played it more than once....
:freak:

Regardless you really need to actually play a guitar before you can say that guitar is good or bad. There are some godawful Gibsons and some fantastic Epiphones, and the reverse is true as well. When i bought my main guitar, which is an Epi Les Paul Standard, i play about a dozen epi LP's and a couple Gibson LPs and that one guitar was the one which felt and sounded the best.

Sorry, I meant to say SG. This kid had one and it was heavier than my LP:confused:.

@ Shadowsong: My parents did not buy my LP for me. I saved up my moolah from work and i bought onehundred percent of it and its case and straplocks, so it really is not their money that I am dealing with here.

The only problem that my mom has is that she thinks my guitar is prettier than the one I want to trade for. :)

Archived