Prince tearing it up (vid)

dizzydog

• Members

Probably because in terms of style, taste, restraint, creativity, etc. that's {censored} guitar playing. Oh, and also it's a bit of an embarrassment and contradiction to what George Harrison (i.e. an honestly tasteful, talented guitar player and artist) was all about originally. That would be my guess.

• Members

{censored} playing? wow, this forum always surprises me. Prince has always been a favorite of mine, sometimes I catch some flack for it, but most times people agree.

It was a piece of advice he gave guitar player magazine that really helped expand my playing, which actually goes to explain some of his phrasing. He stated that you can't just look to other guitar players for inspiration, try learning how to play a stan getz horn solo on guitar or take a melody sung by etta james, or beyonce, or others and learn that on guitar. Don't limit yourself.

People forget that he's been recording since the 70's and was a child prodigy.

• Members

Probably because in terms of style, taste, restraint, creativity, etc. that's {censored} guitar playing. Oh, and also it's a bit of an embarrassment and contradiction to what George Harrison (i.e. an honestly tasteful, talented guitar player and artist) was all about originally. That would be my guess.

Lighten up Francis.

• Members

It was a piece of advice he gave guitar player magazine that really helped expand my playing, which actually goes to explain some of his phrasing. He stated that you can't just look to other guitar players for inspiration, try learning how to play a stan getz horn solo on guitar or take a melody sung by etta james, or beyonce, or others and learn that on guitar. Don't limit yourself.

Words to live by there. So many guitar players have such a hard time getting a sense of melody. I say that because I am one of them. My biggest advances in soloing and phrasing came after I started learning fingerstyle guitar and focusing on playing melodies.

• Members

He's DYNE-O-MITE! :D

I particularly like his 70's Pimp outfit.

But Prince had me at "hello" :o

Okay, not exactly at hello, but he had me at the "Purple Rain" album which made me look back a tiny bit at hits like, "Little Red Corvette".

But I think it's the Prince persona that has kept him where people are constantly saying, "Yeah_________________, but behind it all he's a great guitar player".

It's that "Yeah________________" that always gets in the way of him just being known as a great guitar player. But then again, that's Prince!

• Members

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW ABOUT STYLE & TASTE......LETS HEAR & SEE YOU PLAY!!!!!:mad:

• Members

has he ever released a guitar oriented album? if he has, I wanna know which one!!!!!

Most of his songs have decent or sometimes great solos. Purple Rain has a nice solo. Computer Blue (from the Purple Rain album), has a specific solo/lead run that seems like it could make Superman's frethand fatigue. Also, a new song, Planet Earth, has a great solo in it. I can say I've never really heard a bad Prince song. Even his raps like "Gett Off" are pretty funny ("you should be glad that dress is still on/I heard it rip when you sat down"). Also a song off of his last album, called "Fury" had a great solo. All of his songs have solo and extreme distortion.

• Members

I think if Prince hadn't been so talented and well-rounded, he could have done a straight guitar hero thing and really, truly been the next Hendrix.

I don't care much for Prince the person/celebrity, but his guitar playing has been brilliant. When I first heard the Purple Rain guitar solo, I thought the same thing. This guy could be the next Hendrix.

Archived