Stolen gear at gigs?

sheepeH

• Members

Ever got your gear stolen at a gig?

Last monday I had a gig at a place me and my band usually gig and I played bass that time. We hang out there pretty much alot and Its not some shady pub so Im not to worried about my gear. Anyways, after our round this other band goes on and I had to leave my bass onstage because I didnt have a gig bag for it. we go grab ourselves a beer and watch the show. 30 minutes later the guy who owns the place calls us to backstage to talk with us about something, meanwhile the gig is over. I was backstage for like 5 minutes and when I come back my bass is gone. Must of been 1 of the stage workers but they were hired and not the regulars so I have no idea who they were. Luckily it was a 50$ Dean bass, but i was still pissed off like {censored}.

Anything like this happened to yoU?

• Members

I thought my guitar got stolen once, turned out I was just too drunk to remember taking it home with me after the show. I woke up in a panic when it wasn't in my living room with the rest of my gear. I later found it in my garage, on its stand along with a few taco bell rappers and half a 32 oz Mt Dew. Good times.

• Members

Big {censored}-off weigh-a-ton Peterson Strobe Tuner nicked from dressing-room at Dingwalls Dancehall in Camden Town, London, 1979. Later recovered because the thief was known to the management. Just as well, because we'd borrowed the damn thing from another band.

Drummer's trap case (cymbals and stands) nicked from between stage door and van after a gig in Liverpool during the 30 seconds it was unattended during loadout, 1980.

Huge Acoustic 1x18 bass cab taken from the basement where we stored and rehearsed, by the band who were playing in the bar upstairs that night, 1987. Cops were told, did nothing. And we couldn't go after them ourselves because they had some Very Heavy Friends.

• Members
I thought my guitar got stolen once, turned out I was just too drunk to remember taking it home with me after the show. I woke up in a panic when it wasn't in my living room with the rest of my gear. I later found it in my garage, on its stand along with a few taco bell rappers and half a 32 oz Mt Dew. Good times.

LOL! :D

Roadies/security = good. :thu:

• Members

I did a gig I think in '77 as bottom of the bill on a 3 band show.

After the gig, bits of our gear started disappearing...1st the cymbals went, then the amp head disappeared.

The 2nd support band seemed concerned and were "helping" us to look for our stuff, until I noticed one of the band members struggling to carry a sports bag with something very heavy inside. After a bit of investigation, we found our amp head in the guys bag, and our cymbals and stuff in their van!

Things got a bit heated, but we were way off of our home turf and hugely outnumbered, so we beatt a hasty retreat back to our van and {censored}ed off...but at least we had our kit.

• Members

I lost a SRV Strat after the Gig loading gear in the vans. Left it alone a few minutes..............GONE! I mentioned the story several times here. Took me awhile to find another I really liked. And real good SRVs are hard to find because of the Neck/frets on them. When I did..........it was so similiar to my first, my adrenaline started rushing. Matter-of fact I have photo's of both I have posted here before. STRIKING Resemblence.

• Members

I've never had any gear stolen (knock on wood) but one thing i have learned is that people will steal ANYTHING not nailed, screwed or locked down. (Even then they will try)........ EFFING scumbags. Sucks to think this way but you just cant trust anyone.
I've had my car broken into at a party when i was younger and found out later that it was kids i went to school and played sports with. losers!

• Members

One of the tough things to accept is that people will steal your stuff. Strangers will steal your stuff, but friends will ALSO steal your stuff. Musicians who don't believe this are musicians who haven't had it happen to them, yet.

Gigs are the #1 risky places for theft. Rehearsal spaces are #2. Tied for #2 is your house and garage. The people who steal from your house and garage will be your friends, because they are familiar with the house, your habits, and so forth -- they can show up when they know your gone and the house will be clear. I know this is hard to believe.

At gigs, the dangerous times are load in and load out. Between the two, load out is by far the most dangerous. Most gear is stolen from a staging place near the rear door. It's sitting there, waiting to be carried out the door to the van.

The key to avoiding theft is to have an unvarying SYSTEM for loading out, one that, if possible, avoids leaving anything unwatched for any amount of time. If it's not possible to have watchers at each point, then it's better to leave the van unwatched for a moment, rather than a spot near the door unwatched. You and your band members need to develop a simple plan that will handle the moves. The plan should have the ability to adapt to real life situations -- such as a bar owner asking you to sit down, right now, to schedule future gigs. The load out system must be able to adapt smoothly.

Anyone who imagines it's not going to happen to them because "everyone knows us," or something of that sort is delusional and has been lucky. Your luck will not last.

Heh. There was a fairly well known national band a few years ago, called The Lost Trailers. They had lost TWO complete trailers, along with the entire contents of each trailer. Two separate incidents, separated by many months. The trailers were each stolen from gigs they were working. One theft involved the removal of a locked car that had been blocking the trailer in at the end of an alley. I am not making this up.

• Members

Heh. There was a fairly well known national band a few years ago, called The Lost Trailers. They had lost TWO complete trailers, along with the entire contents of each trailer.

Why didnt they change the band name after their first trailer was stolen?

Did they change the name after the 2nd trailer got jacked?

I'm sorry but that is as funny as it is unfortunate. It's like they set themselves up. They should change their name to Lowjack.

• Members

After a gig in '87 opening for a friends band, my band mates and I all loaded our gear into our cars and then returned to the club to watch the second act. When the show let out I found my car had been emptied of ALL of its contents. My Amp (JC-120), 3 guitars (Gibson Firebird, Fender Tele and Kramer Farrington Strat), My pedal board with all my effects, Sure SM58 Mic... All my cables and misc stuff. It was my worst nightmare.

None of it was ever recovered. :cry:

OGG

• Members

Big {censored}-off weigh-a-ton Peterson Strobe Tuner nicked from dressing-room at Dingwalls Dancehall in Camden Town, London, 1979. Later recovered because the thief was known to the management. Just as well, because we'd borrowed the damn thing from another band.

Drummer's trap case (cymbals and stands) nicked from between stage door and van after a gig in Liverpool during the 30 seconds it was unattended during loadout, 1980.

Huge Acoustic 1x18 bass cab taken from the basement where we stored and rehearsed, by the band who were playing in the bar upstairs that night, 1987. Cops were told, did nothing. And we couldn't go after them ourselves because they had some Very Heavy Friends.

Damn! I hate those SOB VHFs!!!!

• Members

Cracker/Camper Van Beethoven had so much crap stolen during their 2004-2005 tours that they had a commemorative "Thief Tour" shirt, with all of the dates and the value of the crap ripped off.

When it gets that bad, what can you do? Try to laugh a bit, and maybe recoup a bit on the t-shirts.

• Members

I don't gig, but a few of my buddies do, and they've had almost everything imaginable stolen...a 1970s era Les Paul...a MIM SuperStrat...a couple of Basses...an entire drum kit...a nice marshall head...they've since started hiring people to stand watch over it, so that's obviously helped (who wants to mess with a 250 lb pro-wrestler type?)

Archived