Broken headstock on LesPaul guitars!

Burstbucker

• Members

There's a guy in a neighboring province that offered me his 1996 Gibson LesPaul Studio in wine red in a trade for a near-mint 1984 MIJ SQ Squier Telecaster copy of a 1954 Tele that I was thinking of selling.

The only thing that might be of concern is that the headstock on this LesPaul Studio had been cracked at some point and then repaired, this was already done before the current owner of this guitar bought it. This fellow told me that he's had it for a few years and is rock solid and plays great.

Would you go ahead with this trade? I'm thinking that trading my 1984 MIJ Squier SQ Tele for a Gibson LesPaul Studio(even with previous headstock break) would be a pretty decent deal. Would you agree or am I off my rocker?

What do you think of this repair job?

BTW, that gunk that's on the front of the guitar right next to the bridge is just sticker glue and has since been removed by the current owner.

Here are some pictures:

LP.jpg

LPHead.jpg

LPBack.jpg

• Members

If a broken headstock is repaired right, it's often stronger than it was before the break...if it's been stable for a few years, I'd say it's good to go. My old bandmate Peter Stroud (now with Sheryl Crow) often looks for vintage Gibsons with headstock repairs as they are often a better value.

• Members

Thanks for that!

BTW, I just had another email from the owner of this guitar and he assures me that the guitar feels and plays like a dream and sounds great(he has a Duncan Jazz and JB in there now). He says that despite the visible glue used in the repair, it's a really good job.

• Members

Squire for a Gibson. Even with the break the Gibson's gotta sound better then the squire.

Theres no reason at all to think that.

Until you hear the guitars side by side there is no way to decided sensibly which one sounds the "best" (which is totally subjective anyway).

MIJ SQ squiers are very highly thought of, and I personally would rather have theTele than that Studio with a break..no problem with the break or LP_ Studios (though I dont know why you think it would affect the sound) I would just prefer the Tele.

As obviously would the guy doing the deal.

:thu:

• Members

Yeah, but this is one of the MIJ Squiers built in the early to mid 80s. There's just no comparison to the Squiers that are hanging on the racks nowadays. These old Squiers seem to me to be as good as the pricier Fender Teles being made now such as the '52 Reissue Telecaster.

Awesome Telecaster copy IMHO, real quality stuff. But with that being said, I guess I'm not really a Tele guy and I think that I'd feel more at home on a LesPaul.

• Members

I would have to look at what 84 MIJ's are bringing now. I know they are sought after because I've read they were Fender parts sent to Japan, assembled as Squiers and then sent back. The broke neck is not a selling point for me, I wouldn't touch it, solid or not, everytime I would look at it I would feel weird.

• Members

"A Les Paul Studio with a broken headstock is unlikely to ever have any collector value, so they're probably right."

Oh, I totally agree that the Les Paul Studio would have virtually no collector value at all. I was just saying that I'm doubtful that the value of this SQ Squier Tele will ever go through the roof.

"The only issue the headstock repair poses is resale value. A guitar with a repaired headstock is worth about half as much as before."

Absolutely! I realize that the resale value of this guitar's been adversely affected but as long as it's a "player", I'll more then likely hang onto it and this shouldn't be an issue at all.

• Members

If resale value means nothing, then I think the LP is a better guitar.

I had a MIJ Squire Tele in the 80's, and it was a nice guitar... but it wasn't nicer then a MIA tele, and I don't care what any collector tells you - it didn't play as well or sound as good. That guitar was stolen in 1989 and I'm still p*ssed off about it.

Personally though, I wouldn't want a guitar with a broken headstock.

• Members

I just checked on ebay and there's a 1983 SQ Squier Telecaster that went for $660.00 USD.

There's a 1995 Gibson Les Paul Studio in wine red that also happens to have a neck repair and it's at $475.00 USD with appx. 22 hours left in the auction.

It kinda looks to me that both of these guitars are pretty much in the same ballpark as far as value goes.

• Members

If your not really feeling the tele, let it go.

I'm also dubious about urban myths like fender shipping fender parts all the way round the world to rebadge as an entry level line and sell for a fifth of what they'd sell for if correctly badged.

I'm sure the squires fine, entry level guitars often are, particularly CIJ, but I imagine the studio will slay it. They may be billed as the little brother, but most I've played have felt like serious instruments

• Members

I got a repaired headstock studio, didnt even know it til i refinished the neck, but.........I wouldnt do it,

IF it were me, I would sell the tele, and use the money to bo towards a not broken anything, you never know, someone might really think they are getting a great deal on your tele.

• Members

I'd actually be inclined to keep the Tele. However, how are you dating the Squier? Fender was pretty much kaput by mid 1984 and the dating info folks go by has some inaccuracies. The second generation of MIJ Squier didn't show up USA til later 1985. If the Tele is worth holding onto that should be pretty clear to a player of BB's experience, however, I would think.

• Members

If the person doing the repair just left the glue that oozed out of the joint, then he was not a pro, IMO. I'd be concerned about what else might've been overlooked. On a crack of that magnitude, I'd almost expect to see some reinforcing "splints" across the crack, although that's usually reserved for cases where the headstock broke off completely. I can't tell for sure if that's what happened here from the pics, but it looks close.

Anyway, I guess it comes down to how much you like your Squire and how much you like the LP when you play it. Also, can you tolerate seeing that repair every time you pick it up? Personally, I have no qualms with a stable, pro-repaired crack, as long as the purchase price takes it into consideration. Just not so sure this was done by someone who knows what he was doing.

• Members

I checked my serial number on a website devoted to the first years of the MIJ Squiers and it is definately a 1984 SQ series Telecaster.

FWIW, I'm now having serious second thoughts on trading my guitar and I'll probably end up just keeping it, I've got this feeling that I'll probably regret it later if I do get rid of it.

• Members

Squire for a Gibson. Even with the break the Gibson's gotta sound better then the squire.

My suggestion - make the trade, clean up the gluje job a bit and refinish so it looks close to right on - keep it if you like it or sell it for $500.00 and buy a new Squire Tele and a MIM Strat!!

You're going to win with the Gibson either way.

Archived