The Greatest Guitarist currently alive?

dizzydog

• Members

As has been said, it depends on your definition of "greatest" guitarist. Do you go for most popular (like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc) or some-one who plays the instrument exceptionall well, some-one who can play anything in any key, (like John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia, etc). Additionally, in both categories, I think you would need to consider how the artist interprets the music and instrument, the degree of musical "feeling" or "colour" he possesses - you get some very technically efficient guitarists who just sound boring.

Personally, I would have to go for the exceptional player category and, of these, I would probably have to nominate John McLaughlin. Yes, there are other equally good players around but he has probably done more to extend the boundaries of guitar playing than any other.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends how you define greatness. Even though he's mostly a bass player and not the most technical guitar player, I'm going with Paul McCartney. I can't think of anybody who's contributed more to modern music than him that's still around.

• Members

As has been said, it depends on your definition of "greatest" guitarist. Do you go for most popular (like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc) or some-one who plays the instrument exceptionall well, some-one who can play anything in any key, (like John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia, etc). Additionally, in both categories, I think you would need to consider how the artist interprets the music and instrument, the degree of musical "feeling" or "colour" he possesses - you get some very technically efficient guitarists who just sound boring.

Personally, I would have to go for the exceptional player category and, of these, I would probably have to nominate John McLaughlin. Yes, there are other equally good players around but he has probably done more to extend the boundaries of guitar playing than any other.

McLaughlin is truly great. However, after watching and listening to the McLaughlin-deLucia-diMeola concerts, I grudgingly give Paco the edge on technique, feeling, and mastery of the instrument. JMO.

• Members

McLaughlin is truly great. However, after watching and listening to the McLaughlin-deLucia-diMeola concerts, I grudgingly give Paco the edge on technique, feeling, and mastery of the instrument. JMO.

I won't argue - there is very little to choose between them. I would even perhaps agree that Paco is a slightly better player - probably due to the fact that he fingerpicks (which I believe is almost always the best way to play a guitar). What swung it for me is McLaughlin's inovative work - he has, IMO, pushed out the boundaries of guitar music more than any guitarist I can think of.

• Members
It's not about how good they are, it's about giving each player a rating based on what they've offered the world of guitar playing. It's not like we follow the criteria blindly, that's why there are editors using common sense as a guideline.

If thats the case then Joe Perry and Brad Whitford should NOT be lumped together as one. They need to be ranked individually, and WELL into the top 50. My opinion I know (again, it's why these lists are useless). But it always amazes me how far down the list Perry ends up. Whitford, (if he even makes the list) is always way down.

:)

• Members

Ill give the list a go (Sorry only 25 and not in a definate order except for the first few)

Beck

Gilmour

Winter

Trucks

Satch

Page

Gibbons

Eric Johnson

Slash

May

Perry

Berry

The Youngs

EVH

Dickey Betts

Lifeson

Vai

BB King

Moore

Townsend

Santana

Buddy Guy

Clapton

Tony Iommi

Steve Miller

Good list except for Trucks, Buddy Guy and Steve Miller......

• Members

Right now I'd say that it's close between Phil and Tommy Emmanuel.

I've seen a LOT of guitar players live, Hendrix, SRV, Albert Collins, Roy Clark, most of the "major" rock bands, etc. and nobody can hang with these guys.

• Members

It's a work in progress. Based on the criteria, and compared to most other similar lists out there, I think it's a pretty damn good one. You can't put 200 players in the top 50, so you've gotta be selective. Inevitably, some of your faves won't make the cut.

As for the players you mentioned... Zoot Horn Rollo hasn't been added yet, because a proper placement hasn't been found as of today. Mike Campbell is #233, but it's possible that he'll be bumped a few places. The Foghat boys are on the list, but way low on it. They could see a bumpage. Kim Simmonds is #204. As for the Fleetwood Mac gents, they've been discussed, but we still haven't found good placements for them.

If you read my other posts in this thread, you'd see that I've already explained Stevie Ray's absence from the list.

There's obviously one thing we can agree on...

we both love guitars, and everything they're capable of!

Thanx for your reply!

But you really outa consider gettin' Peter Green way, WAY up that list. Geez, he's got guitar products named after him, not to mention songs written in his honor.

• Members

Alex Lifeson. He possesses both skills and humility which is rare in these days of Zakkish self-promotion.

He's also perfected the art of going from rhythm to lead and back seamlessly and repeatedly in the same song. He understands what NOT to play.

Alex demonstrates restraint, unlike a lot of the hot dog shredders. What he doesn't play in a song is nearly as important as what he does play. Clearly, he could play lightening fast lead lines repeatedly in a lot of Rush songs, but he waits for the moment of maximum impact. He's simply a guitarists guitarist.

alex_lifeson050217040514.jpg

• Members
There's obviously one thing we can agree on...

we both love guitars, and everything they're capable of!

Thanx for your reply!

But you really outa consider gettin' Peter Green way, WAY up that list. Geez, he's got guitar products named after him, not to mention songs written in his honor.

Oh, I love Peter Green's playing, and I can assure you that if he does get on this list, his name will be placed high.

• Members
Miller was a mistake. Prolly would put one of these guys in there instead ( Paco Delucia, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia, or Knopler)

Why dont you think Trucks or Guy?

Not a total mistake ,

Miller was among the worlds best bluesmen ('Blues without blame' comes to mind) like Elvin Bishop and Clapton (Clapton also was amazing in Cream)
----they decided on $ VS craft:freak:...........

Miller,Clapton Bishop went on to great success , but in my mind they ended there careers as they went. :mad:

=

• Members

Alex Lifeson. He possesses both skills and humility which is rare in these days of Zakkish self-promotion.

He's also perfected the art of going from rhythm to lead and back seamlessly and repeatedly in the same song. He understands what NOT to play.

Alex demonstrates restraint, unlike a lot of the hot dog shredders. What he doesn't play in a song is nearly as important as what he does play. Clearly, he could play lightening fast lead lines repeatedly in a lot of Rush songs, but he waits for the moment of maximum impact. He's simply a guitarists guitarist.

alex_lifeson050217040514.jpg

I can't dispute any of that. Since joining the Rush trib band a few years ago I've studied his playing in great depth. When you really examine the full catalog of his work it really makes you understand how talented he really is.

Archived