Squier 51'

inais

• Members

hey all,

i own a squier 51', love its shape, love its colours, and its style, but it needs more in sound & soloing.

does anyone have any ideas on what i can use?

i know some of u might going, hey man, its a cheap guitar just buy a new one, the pickups will cost u more. but it was my first guitar, and its been faithfull, so i figured id reward it with a new set of pick-ups. I would definalty buy another one, i really like them in vintage blonde.. does fender make a copy of this apart from the bass version?

anyways, any help would be great

cheers

• Members

i play pretty much everything.. not really a big fan of heavy metal or emo..

just like to play rock, blues, slow stuff.. pearl jam/john mayer somewhere in between there..

I dont really know what im missing from the stock ones, ive never played a guitar with good pups, so i cant really tell.. these stock ones dont sound too bad, but I know they could sound a lot better..

Im on the GFS site now, these are looking good.. gunna be a biatch getting them over here but..

• Members

I also think it's your amp.

That guitar does well with a warm amp, like a Fender or Vox style.

I like the stock pickups quite well, and they blend together very well.

Sometimes I think about a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro for the neck, which might make it a hair sweeter, but it's not really necessary. I have yet to come up with an idea for a better humbucker but I hesistate more to mess with it since it works well in that guitar in both full and split modes in conjunction with the neck pup.

The problem with your 51' might be that it has the apostrophe on the wrong side.

'51 ! :D

• Members

'51s are great, don't sell them short. It has a better neck than any american made strat IMHO. 3 cheers to a 99 dollar guitar with a bird's eye fretboard and a vintage burst paint job. :)

Check out http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&message_area_number=26 and cruise through to Area 51. It's a Squire '51 only thread.

I swapped a Duncan trembucker and a vintage single into mine. I kept the original PUPS.

• Members

wow, i had no idea this guitar was so popular, when i bought mine a few years back, it was sitting on the shelf for months before i bought it. noone really had an interest in it..

i use a classic 30, dont get me wrong, this guitar is the best guitar ive played so far in my music life, and yes its easy to get some good sounds out of it, but i was just curious if there was more I could do. this guitar is home, no matter what else i play, i always come back to it and enjoy it...

im just checking out those forums now, thanks guys.

EDIT: I notice there are alot of 51's with proper fender necks, is that the case? or have people just changed them over?

another question is pick-up height? further away from strings means what? and closer to string means what?

tar

• Members

hmm. Classic 30 is a good amp and a good choice for that guitar.

Well I've got a better idea of where you're at now.

Like I mentioned above, I think a Duncan Alnico II Pro would be a nice choice, and if you get the tele version with the chrome cover it looks uber-cool on a '51.

But I'm still not sure on the bridge.

Oh wait, how about a Fender Pearly Gates Plus (now this is quite different from a Pearly Gates sold under the Duncan name), the Fender version (also made by Duncan) uses an Alnico V magnet instead of the Alnico II. It's a warmer sounding pickup and they use it on some of their strats and showmasters.

I think that would be a killer choice and would make it sweeter in the neck and maybe more rockin in the bridge.

http://www.gtrheaven.com/pickups/pickups.asp?ven=20&t=Fender+Humbucker+Pickups&m=hum-----

• Members

Its funny, one of the best surprises with my '51 was how much i liked the pickups, especially the 'bucker. I guess to each his own.

Same here. Now I expect other buckers to sound like the one in my stock '51.

Inais, I liked my '51 so well I bought two more of them when I was able to get them on sale for $75. One or both of them is going to get some GFS mods.

• Members

Same here. Now I expect
other
buckers to sound like the one in my stock '51.

Inais, I liked my '51 so well I bought two more of them when I was able to get them on sale for $75. One or both of them is going to get some GFS mods.

you my good doctor i respect your opinion alot, and i keep hearing about these 51's i've played two and the one i've spent time with a friend of mine has, and it is a real POS, is it possible that the one's i've played were the fluke pos's and maybe i should try another one? what say thee?

• Members

Clip of my Squier 51 with stock pups. I start off with a Mayer riff. I think it sounds good. I just change around the pickup positions & the change the reverb on one part.

OMFG I WANT.

I should have never sold my Strat. At least I got some decent money for it. I should get a '51...

• Members

you my good doctor i respect your opinion alot,

Well ... there's your first mistake. :lol:

and i keep hearing about these 51's i've played two and the one i've spent time with a friend of mine has, and it is a real POS, is it possible that the one's i've played were the fluke pos's and maybe i should try another one? what say thee?

Tell you what, just go to THIS LINK and listen to Robert playing his stock '51 with his excellent mojo. If you're a humbucker/LP/SG or hard rock kind of guy you won't care for it at all. But if your a Single Coil/Strat/Tele bluesy type you will probably like it a lot.

• Members

Well ... there's your first mistake.
:lol:
Tell you what, just go to
THIS LINK
and listen to Robert playing his stock '51 with his excellent mojo. If you're a humbucker/LP/SG or hard rock kind of guy you won't care for it at all. But if your a Single Coil/Strat/Tele bluesy type you will probably like it a lot.

well i'll listen, but lp, sg , strat, 335, there's room in my stable for all types, so i'm open minded it's just they felt like crap to me, but i'll listen :D

• Members

I'll show you two of mine:

This one has a Gibson Classic '57 in the bridge, and a Fender SCN Telecaster pup in the neck:

9561977f.jpg

This one is in the process of getting a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge, and a Bill Lawrence T280 in the neck, with an Ian Rich 3-way control plate (and a push/pull pot where the new tone control will be to retain the splittable function of the bridge PUP):

e24f36fd.jpg

Archived