Why's it called "brown" sound?

The Blue Garden

• Members

The term, indeed, goes back to EVH. In general, it is used to refer to a tone that is warm, middy and organic sounding. EVH's tone was deceptively lo- to medium-gain in those days, with a lot of power amp crunch, a good vintage Marshall tone stepped up a notch; completely different from the scooped-mid, hi-gain preamp tones that are popular these days. The color could tie into "earthy," "well grounded," "dirty," etc. It is also often used to describe those old Tweed tones of the '50's blues recordings.

• Members

I've always found that interesting. Based on his descriptions of the sound, I've always kind of wondered if EVH was a neurological synaesthete.

It appears that, in certain people, neurons which are supposed to connect directly to their respective sensory cortexes, sometimes are at least partially rerouted to another part of the brain.

Thus, for instance, a light stimulus might also have a smell associated with it, so that the color blue might also literally smell like, say, lavender.

Apparently, there are a number of combinations this can happen in. Some people see a different color for each letter on a page, for instance, regardless of their actual color.

Some synaesthetes also happen to literally see colors when they hear sounds, and such people usually make excellent musicians, because they can literally see music, and every pitch on the musical scale has a different color.

I've always wondered if EVH was one of these people.

• Members

Thanks GT

There have been many players that have made the mistake of playing too loud and too long, and found the results permanent. This is why EVH still has at least some of his hearing. Get the right tone, and it sounds loud, without actually being that loud. :thu:

• Members

I've always found that interesting. Based on his descriptions of the sound, I've always kind of wondered if EVH was a neurological
synaesthete

It appears that, in certain people, neurons which are supposed to connect directly to their respective sensory cortexes, sometimes are at least partially rerouted to another part of the brain.

Thus, for instance, a light stimulus might also have a smell associated with it, so that the color blue might also literally smell like, say, lavender.

Apparently, there are a number of combinations this can happen in. Some people see a different color for each letter on a page, for instance, regardless of their actual color.

Some synaesthetes also happen to literally see colors when they hear sounds, and such people usually make excellent musicians, because they can literally see music, and every pitch on the musical scale has a different color.

That would be cool to be one of those poople. ;)

• Members

I've always found that interesting. Based on his descriptions of the sound, I've always kind of wondered if EVH was a neurological
synaesthete

Awwww man, I think the clock is slow!

CLASS DISMISSED!

Thanks for the discourse, professor!

:poke: :D

Archived