New Gear Day (warning VOX Tonelab content)

Geeter

• Members

This is the reason I couldn't buy one of Jay's cool guitars. Sorry for the crappy photo.

tonelab.jpg

Already had picked up this Tonelab at GC. $175 out the door. Love the sounds coming out of this thing, but I have much to learn. :thu:

I am going to be selling my AD15VT Valvetronix amp since I really wasn't using it except as a sort of DI to my computer.

• Members

Good piece of kit. I have a Valvetronix AD 120VTH and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
I had picked up one of those Tonelabs too for the ease of computer use too.
I didn't use it long as I always gravitated to my PODs and Bigger amps.
Not for lack of grasping what an excellent piece of gear ir is though.
Enjoy the hell outta that thing my man it is a VERY credible piece.

• Members

I picked up one of these used for around $150 and it's easily the most fun and versatile piece of equipment I"ve bought in years. And really usable, too. I use it for recording and it sounds great. I also use it with my band as a preamp running into the Effects In on my tube amp (so that it hits just the power tubes) and it sounds fantastic. I can dial in different amp sounds at the push of a button. Good score!

• Members

HNVD!!!

these preamps are great! my Toneport UX2 with all the add-on
models doesn't stand a chance.

you might want to replace the standard tube with something more hi-quality than a EH tube. I have a JJ Electronics (former Tesla) in mine and it sounds :thu::thu::thu:

the only drawback is that you have to cough up the cash to buy the VC12 footswitch. but it's worth every cent!

• Members

I have had mine for a couple of years.

I hate it, because it's so good it's kept me from buying a "real" amp for ages. And it's a hassle when you gig because you have to almost pick a fight with the sound crew to get it plugged to the (often {censored}ty) PA system, to get a good monitor sound, and to make sure that it sounds good in the audience.

Now I'm trying to decide wether to leave it indoors and get a real amp, or to buy meself an Atomic Reactor. I want a real tube amp but I'd have to get a real expensive one if it's gonna impress me after the ToneLab, and I'll need a dozen stompboxes, and STILL I'll miss the flexibility (I play progressive stuff so I need like a billion different settings). Not sure what to do.

Anyway, the ToneLab rawks, especially clean and crunch settings. If you like metal, try the Soldano mod (US higain) through the Marshall 4x12 (UK T75) with gain at 12. That one'll work.

• Members

Thanks all.
I have been working with it, trying to get the "feel" of it. Different beast than the AD15VT. Much deeper. The modelling is pretty damned good to my ears.
Tomorrow I am going to plug it in to my Blues Jr and give it a ride. Should be fun.

• Members

I have one and like it. I paid the regular $299 price a couple years ago I guess and felt it was a bargain even at that price. I like the modeling effects the most. I find the DSP modulation effects to be okay and use them, but it's the amp and cabinet models that I appreciate the most with that rig. I have mine sitting on top of a Roland JC120 and it really helped add some color to that amp.

• Members
Congrats, I've been having a hard time trying to locate one online. MF says they've been discontinued. I've also tried AMS, Zzounds and Sam Ash
:freak:

Yeah, I had to go in to the local shop and ask. They had one on display and some in the back.

• Members
the only drawback is that you have to cough up the cash to buy the VC12 footswitch. but it's worth every cent!

I might be persuaded to sell you my spare VC-4 for dirt cheap ;)

I love my AD120. Many times I'd dhought to look for a tonelab to compliment my recording gear but forgot. May have to start looking for one again.
I'd be happy If I found one for $150-ish.
I think $300 is too much for a used one though considering the newest SE version is only $399.

• Members
I have one and like it. I paid the regular $299 price a couple years ago I guess and felt it was a bargain even at that price. I like the modeling effects the most. I find the DSP modulation effects to be okay and use them, but it's the amp and cabinet models that I appreciate the most with that rig. I have mine sitting on top of a Roland JC120 and it really helped add some color to that amp.

The JC would be an ideal platform. I have always had a stiffy for those. Probably has to do with being a teen in the 70's ;)

• Members

I've been messing around with my tonelab tonite. I'm running it thru my VJ head and cab and playing a xaviere xv700 and a 51. I really like the fender and vox amp models. I'm still trying to work thru the presets. Lots of the heavy stuff just sounds mushy. I may have to write my own.

Archived