Can I get over my disdain for Auto-Tune?

• Members

Some great responses, folks! :thu:

I love this line:

Originally posted by Magpel

For me, it has gotten so bad that I take poor vocal pitch as a badge of integrity.

Heheh, I totally know what you mean, Magpel. :D

Originally posted by MikeRivers

We used to work with singers and help them with their pitch problems, punching in phrases again and again until they got it right. But nobody has that kind of attention span any more, so the tools were developed to fix those problems in only the way a computer can.

This begs the question, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Did the attention span start to fade away when the new editing tools became available?

• Members

Originally posted by Alndln2

That reminds me of Frank Zappa's comment that some guitarist seem to play the same solo over and over regardless of the chord changes.
:D

I guess you are talking about the guitarist with the "secret chord changes", on which he plays the same solo since 1968 and it works exeptionally well for him...

• Members

I'm not a fan of Autotune at all and it bugs me when I hear it used. My son and I get into disagreements when Shakira's songs play on the radio; I tell him that her vocal tracks are Autotuned and that they annoy me. He swears that she has NEVER used manipulated vocal performances in any of her recordings. He swears that the blantant pitch bending is her NATURAL voice.... :rolleyes:

Someone that may have insight into the recording sessions for Shakira can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm concerned Shakira is Autotune Queen.... next to Ashley Simpson:D At least Ashley's wasn't nearly as blatant as Shakira's.

• Members

Originally posted by magentaplacenta

How good can it make something that's so bad?

It depends on the user. It's a controversial subject on numerous levels, but one of the reasons it's controversial is because it's "abused" to the point of where vocals sound "fake".

If the user is tasteful and savvy, maybe changing just a couple of notes to preserve in otherwise really great, impassioned vocal performance, you won't be able to determine if AutoTune's been used.

If the person applies AutoTune to an entire vocal track that hasn't been sung all that well, it may sound really "fake".

Another reason why it's controversial is because, quite often, you can get better vocal performances and actually save time if the vocalist simply does another take. And it may also create this sense of malaise on the part of the vocalist, who may think, "Well, this guy can simply fix any mistakes I do anyway..." - and in some circumstances, that may not lead to the finest vocal performance.

• Members

I know a signed artists (with a Major Label) - She's not well known in the states.

The woman has an absolutely banging sense of pitch and can do some rather freaky glissando like note slides and all.

On a certain track (a cover BTW) - the producer and session engineer re-edited the vocals because her attack transients sounded auto-tuned.

She had infact used absolutely ZERO autotune at all on the production and they found it odd how similar her vocal style sounded too very subtly used Autotuning.

I had accused one of the engineers of autotuning the vocals myself when I know full well this woman CAN SING.

Bizarre I know but a true story none the less :eek: .

Infact at least 4 tracks on the said recording where all original 1 take vocal recordings that didn't even need a touch up :thu: .

Originally posted by Ani

He swears that the blantant pitch bending is her NATURAL voice....
:rolleyes:

Someone that may have insight into the recording sessions for Shakira can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm concerned Shakira is Autotune Queen....

NO, she is not.

That natural bending can be witnessed during acoustic performances. Shakira sings that way since more than 10 years ago, far away from AutoTune's age.

Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries) is one of her influences. And Cranberries were far before AutoTune, too.

It is not that I like her music -and I actually like a few of her first songs- but well, you asked.

... now if we were talking about Paulina Rubio, that is an entire different story.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Storm

Or should we all just get used to the sound of Auto-Tune?

I think that we are already used to the sound of auto-tune - sometimes in subtle ways.

Listen to some pop/rock music as recent as the 80's and early-90's. There's no way that some of those vocal takes would make it on an album by today's standards without being doused in auto-tune.

• Members

I don't use pitch correction on my voice when singing normally not as a matter of principle, but simply because my voice sounds better when not corrected. I'm an okay vocalist but not great. The human touch is what adds any appeal that I have. To get rid of that leaves me with a voice that's very undistinctive and uninteresting.

I do use pitch correction on synth bass, though, to add slides and give more of a fretless effect. I also use it on vocal harmonies sometimes to tweak the intervals so they're really pure. I leave the attacks in place, though, and just deal with the sustained parts.

The best thing about autotune, bar none, is when someone does a GREAT vocal performance except for one note that's pitchy. So you do another take, and that note is okay, but the feel wasn't quite as good. So you try to paste in that one note but it sounds unnatural.

That's when you correct the one bad note and move on with the session.

• Members

I want to Autotune my drums and cymbals.

Could be interesting to hear the 'Cher' effect on my ride.

Slightly off-topic, but I was listening to a couple of Madonna's old tunes the other day. Borderline and Lucky Star. I nothiced that her voice is higher pitched on those recordings, and I was wondering if they sped up the tape a little to give her more of a 'teeny-bopper' voice. Obviously she was being marketed to 14 year old girls, at the time.

Anybody know anything about that?

Archived