NGD- Mexi Strat FTW!

Auslander

• Members

Guys,

My father-in-law has discovered a new cure for his GAS- he now just buys guitars for my son and me! That way, when my mother-in-law gets mad, he has the perfect defense. In any event, he got me my birthday present today (2 months early, no less)- a sweet Mexi-strat. This is my first "real" guitar and I am thrilled to no end with it.

DSCN3420.jpg

Here are the twins:

DSCN3421.jpg

I have a few questions for you guys, seeing as how I am a noob at this stuff-

The Fender Bulletts that are standard- are they 9s? I usually use 11s, and I wonder how the trem will handle the heavier strings. Also, the guitar keeps going flat- is this due to the strings, the tremelo, or is there something wrong with the guitar?

• Members

they is 9s, could be going flat cause the strings are still new, put on 11s, if they still go flat too fast, tighten the tremolo claw and/or add more springs to the tremolo.

enjoy it, the standard strat is a damn good guitar for the money. you may not be playing the fity one much anymore.

• Members

I haven't really been using the whammy at all. It seems like when I finish tuning the last string, the first one is going flat already. It seems consistent across all the strings. It feels like the strings are stretching to me. I may just go ahead and re-string it tomorrow with 11s and see how it goes.

• Members

Guys,

My father-in-law has discovered a new cure for his GAS- he now just buys guitars for my son and me! That way, when my mother-in-law gets mad, he has the perfect defense. In any event, he got me my birthday present today (2 months early, no less)- a sweet Mexi-strat. This is my first "real" guitar and I am thrilled to no end with it.

DSCN3420.jpg

Here are the twins:

DSCN3421.jpg

I have a few questions for you guys, seeing as how I am a noob at this stuff-

The Fender Bulletts that are standard- are they 9s? I usually use 11s, and I wonder how the trem will handle the heavier strings. Also, the guitar keeps going flat- is this due to the strings, the tremelo, or is there something wrong with the guitar?

Very nice!

As for your questions, it's strung with Fender Bullet 9's. Horrible strings. Switch them out ASAP for the 11's you usually play with. For my MIM Strat, I needed to add one spring and tighten the trem claw a bit when I put 11's on it.

As for the strings going flat, it's probably just that they're still stretching.

• Members

Ok,

Take a look at this:

DSCN3422.jpg

The bridge retaining screws are not set tight to the bridge body. I know that these screws can be used to adjust the trem angle, but every example I can find in my books shows them screwed down flush. Do I need to fix this, or return the guitar?

• Members

Very sweet. I used to hate sunburst strats and tele's, but lately they've been growing on me. It's very nice looking. Definatley need to encourage your FIL's gas. Order him a subscription to Vintage Guitar! Seriously, everytime I read an issue I end up buying new gear or music.

• Members

I haven't really been using the whammy at all. It seems like when I finish tuning the last string, the first one is going flat already. It seems consistent across all the strings. It feels like the strings are stretching to me. I may just go ahead and re-string it tomorrow with 11s and see how it goes.

If your trem is set up to float, my guess is as you tune up the treble strings you are putting more tension on the trem springs, causing the trem to pivot up and make the bass strings go flat. Start by tuning the bass E and maybe the A a tad sharp, then go through the rest. When you finish, the E and A should be close enough to tweak into tune.

Adding more springs will help the trem counteract this effect. Screwing in the claw is effective but in a different way, as it will preload the springs and create a different feel for the arm. You'll almost certainly need to add a spring if you go to 11's, but I'd be leery of hangups in the nut. You might want to try 10's first.

When you do string changes in the future be sure to change them one at a time so you don't wind up back in the same boat.

All IMHO of course.

• Members

Ok,

Take a look at this:

DSCN3422.jpg

The bridge retaining screws are not set tight to the bridge body. I know that these screws can be used to adjust the trem angle, but every example I can find in my books shows them screwed down flush. Do I need to fix this, or return the guitar?

Yes, they should be flush. At least the two outer ones.

• Members

hngd.gif

Accompanying text that says 'HNGD' and nothing else,

showing that I did not read your thread and would rather

increase my postcount and bury threads started by

people who actually need help or have something to say.

Archived