NGD- Mexi Strat FTW!

Auslander

• Members

Congrats on the guitar! :)

The first thing I did when I got my MIM Classic 50's Strat was changing the strings. I put a set of D'addario's 0.010 - 0.046 because it kept going flat. Problem solved!

I've been told that changing from 0.009 to 0.010 doesn't (necessarily) require a trem adjustment... changing from 0.009 to .011 would though.

I'm pretty sure it's just the strings... change them ASAP! At least, try a set of these: DaddarioEXL110.jpgThe tone will be much better!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXL110-Nickel-Regular-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=100191

• Members

Fender floating trems are notorious for not staying in tune. If you move up to 11's, be careful that they don't get hung up in the nut and string tree(s) when you play with with tremolo. You might need to file and graphite the hell out of the saddles, string tree(s) and nut for that thing to stay in tune. Also, the added tension of the 11's are going to pull your trem higher than it is now. Take off the back plate and tighten the two spring claw screws a little to bring it back down.

• Members

Strings don't dictate tone, geez.. I've used Bullets before and I liked them alot. Stayed in tune well once they were stretched properly. Changing from anything to anything always requires a tension adjustment on the claw unless you just crank the thing tight enough to slam the bridge regardless of what you put on it. That's not a proper setup though. the bridge should be parallel to the body and the screws should be flush (all of them) when the bridge is at rest.

oh, and HNGD! Brownburst MIM strats are a favorite of mine.. Here's mine ;)

strat-overall.jpg

I used to have a normal one like yours from about 1993, but I gave it to my uncle as a gift. He still loves it on a regular basis.. MIMs rock!

• Members

Thanks for all of the posts so far- My wife just had twins yesterday, so we have been a little busy! Don't tell her, but there is a Guitar Center about 5 minutes away from the hospital- I have already made 2 visits, and it has only been like 24 hours. I thought it would be appropriate to buy a Twin Reverb in their honor, but I want to still have a place to live when she gets out of the hospital.

Anyways, back to my guitar-

I think I am going to try to tighten the bridge screws a bit, especially the two outside ones. I bought two sets of these ropes:

exl115.jpg

GC didn't have any extra trem springs in stock- what's up with that?? I'm really anxious to try these out, but I don't want to attempt it until I have at least one more spring on the trem. I will keep everyone updated on when I finally get it sounding like I want.

Chris

Archived