Advice: A&R scout wants... me

Phait

• Members

Yeah I know, long-time-no-see, but this ain't about that.

I've been on MySpace for awhile with my "music":

http://www.myspace.com/carbonflaw

http://www.thecarbonflaw.com

and today I got a message from a "leading indie A&R" company. It says:

Greetings, My name is Dave,

Our company works for several labels and music supervisors for tv and film here in Los Angeles, CA

We are interested in your music, and would like to help you secure some deals.

Please contact our Los Angeles office @ ###-###-####. Immediately or reply to this message with your best contact phone if you want to get your music signed.

You can find out more about us @
www.arselect.com
or here on our myspace site.

Thanks,

Dave

New Artist Division

A&R Select

http://www.arselect.com

http://www.myspace.com/arselect

Honestly, I don't feel the work I've done is in top form to go anywhere with it, and my interest doesn't lie there. The stuff I do is personal but comes across more like a film score... though, if I did have the opportunity to do some scoring, I'd feel more confident working in that facet - and I might consider it.

So basically, has anyone heard of these guys?

• Members

Hey Phait. I was looking at one of your wallpaper images just the other day and wondered what had become of you. ;)

Begin by double checking that phone number's area code is in the Los Angeles area. There are scammers who get you to call numbers that appear to be U.S. numbers when in fact they are connected to toll collecting in the Caribbean islands. They charge you dollars per minute and it's almost impossible to recoup your money because so far as your phone company can tell the charges are legal. If you want to contest them you have to go to the location of the receiving phone (in the islands) and guess what? The governments of several places allow them to pull these scams legally.

It seems to me the temptation to get signed would be a great lure for such a scam. You could check out the company's rep (or lack thereof) with the Better Business Bureau or check that they're a legitimate business at all with the City of Los Angeles or State of California.

I'm leery of a company that doesn't provide you an email address when they sent you a message. If they're that interested they can ask for your number in an ensuing conversation and foot the bill for discussing your music over the phone. ;)

• Members

Looks to me like they're all about selling promo services to artists.

Their website is entirely geared to drawing in artists. I don't see anything there for actual A&R people.

Their biggest "success" seems to be someone named Jana who they claim is "one of the most successful independent artists online"...

Which is why she's a household word, right?

If they never ask for any money or any rights to your music (or any other committments on your part) then there's probably no harm. But I strongly suspect that you'll get pitched right away for pay-for services.

REAL A&R people do not make "talent" pay... that kind of gets in the way of the whole talent search thing.

• Members

I got the same note on Myspace. I did some searching to find out what they're all about. If it's the same one I got (I think so), they charge you money to shop your music to labels. I found discussions about the company, and it seems most of the people who take advantage of their service are fairly happy with it, compared to other companies that do the same thing. It wasn't for me, though; no way I'm going to pay someone hundreds of dollars to do something I could do myself if I wanted to get off my ass, and thought my music was good enough to warrant it.

I replied to the message I got on Myspace, asking a few questions. Never got a response back.

• Members

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't worth your time to research them.

If you do choose to check them out, Google them. If it's a scam you'll know right away.

Came acrosss this one for you... taken from another website...

I am honored that you have expressed the sentiments that you have, and we are pushing hard to make this the best opportunity around. But, I must say, that it does take money. This company, and any company "Out There" cannot help you if they are broke. People have tried, but the truth is... You must have money to be of service to any industry, especially this one!

We need the financial backing and we get that through memberships and sales of services. We are courting investors right now, and this is a time consuming process. With everything else that each of us does, it is the most important component to your career and our marketing strategy. We are not an "Advertising" supported site currently. We have opposed that idea and have resisted the temptation to have ads all over the place. We have a few, and will have a few more, but I'll be damned if that is the only way to support a website! Members, promotional services, the digital record label. These are what we are banking on, not ads on how to enlarge your penis or "How to make a million on the net with (You fill in the blank). This HAS to be a fan and member driven business to be REAL! The rest of the malarky on the Internet is mainly smoke and mirrors. We are creating a business by the people, for the people. But we have to finance it with our membership, otherwise we are just another MySpace. MySpace is alright, they have lots of members and financiers, etc. So I would venture to say that they are doing alright. But what about their members? What is there really? Do you think they are concerned about your ability to make a living? My guess is no.

Here is what we are getting ready for your career needs. You want a career doing this... Music? That is what you are here for, right? If that is so, then let me ask you a point blank question... If our label could provide a way for you to make up to $50,000 to $100,000 dollars a year on one hit song, would you call that a worthwhile career move and quit your day job? That is part of the plan... We are telling you that this could be your move. Want to tour and promote while signed to our label? Yup! We won't own you or your music. You can be signed and still do your own thing. We will have artists that will be 100% vested into our entertainment company, but even Independents can be on a label and run their own business at the same time!

In fact, when I show you the breakdown it will be apparent that you will make more money than we do!

Sure, we will make more money because we have more artists working with us, but one on one YOU WILL ALWAYS BE THE TOP DOG!

Sounds too good to be true. That's because you have never heard of such a thing in your life! That does not make it untrue though, correct?

Truthfully, I want to hire sales people. People who want to work from home rather than commute every day. What better way to sink your hooks into the music business? Talking to fellow artists and fans all day long, networking, AND making money too? I have a great at home sales program that will be ready this week. The only requirement is a computer with a good connection (DSL/Broadband) and a phone plan with unlimited long distance, such as Vonage, etc. I am even considering (only considering at this time) supplying the long distance service if we can get some reaction from the membership here. Then we can grow independent of any investors and be truly not tied down in any way! If I can locate the right people I can even offer them a franchise opportunity to have a Music Forte office in their own home town or country. There is nothing like this currently in the market today!

That is about all I am going to divulge on a public forum. We have to have your support in all ways to create this Mega-Entertainment Dynasty. You deserve it, we deserve it. We all work our asses off for it! Our world is ready for another music establishment. See to it that you make it happen! Then we can honestly say that there has been a NEW Revolution in Music, and not the same old song and dance that we have had for so many years! It is now or never, because the big boys are closing in fast. You want some? Join the revolution then, and start today!

Do we require your money? Damn straight! I can promise you one thing, and everyone who knows me knows this is real... I WILL NOT lie to you and I will ALWAYS shoot straight! I am honest in all of my dealings here and I am telling you that this IS the Revolution! If we blow it now, we can kiss it goodbye! Look around. Burnlounge, Myspace, all the labels, they are trying to get this right, and if they do... Same 'ol Story, Same 'ol song and dance! Chances of you and I making a career in music... Forget about it! Back to covers and stinky dive bars, selling a couple of CD's here and there. Something to look forward to in your old age, huh?

Go to Myspace, Soundclik, whatever. Do you think they are as committed as we are? Maybe they are, I could be wrong. As I have said before, and I will repeat it once again, GO TO THESE PLACES AND BRING YOUR FANS HERE TO CHECK US OUT! If you have no money, we understand. Fine, then contribute by being a promoter and bring people here so we can brainwash them and hypnotize them into buying your music! (Just kidding)

Seriously, promote. Show us you can bring people in and we will exchange services to help you out with your career goals. We are generous and want to help and will be in a much better position to once we create a lively atmosphere here. So bring 'em home and let us know how your doing it, we will definitely return the favor!

We are progressive and ready to move... Are you?

Does that help?

• Members

Did you also get a MySpace message from Halo Guitars offering an endorsement? :rolleyes:

MySpace has made it way too easy for scammers, or for anyone looking to make money off of unsuspecting musicians hoping to be "discovered" online. Some of them are legitimate business offering legitimate services, but many are hoping that you won't do too much digging about what they offer...or don't offer any more information than the bare minimum.

Translation: read the fine print and do your homework. There are great opportunities out there, but many people will try to charge you for services that you could do on your own with minimal effort.

• Members

I've gotten a lot of that type of stuff from my pages on soundclick and myspace, and other stuff. I've gotten some that was such obvious spam that I reported it to the admins at whatever site generated it.

I've also gotten stuff in the snail mail because I'm an ASCAP member and have registered some copyrights with US copyright office. I don't blame ASCAP or teh Copyright office - it's a public directory and these scammers just go down the rolls grabbing addresses and mailing them.

Most of them threaten to place my song on a "professionally recorded album". I'm sure there's a cottage industry selling schmaltzy cassettes of would-be Sinatras to nursing home residents for $1.99, but I'm not signing away my publishing rights for a one-time shot on a "professionally recorded album".

• Members

I now make it a policy to resport as spam any mass commercial messaging I get on MySpace...

And, while I used to accept friends to my band's page uncritically, if I dont' recognize them, I follow their links... if they're a rehearsal complex, music store, booking agency, wholesaler, distributor, promoter, or Russian hooker, they get {censored}-canned right away.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

I now make it a policy to resport as spam any mass commercial messaging I get on MySpace...

And, while I used to accept friends to my band's page uncritically, if I dont' recognize them, I follow their links... if they're a rehearsal complex, music store, booking agency, wholesaler, distributor, promoter, or Russian hooker, they get {censored}-canned right away.

I get myspace friend requests from random bands all the time (plus Russian hookers ;) ) and I at least listen to the music first before accepting. If it's something reasonably in my stylistic ballpark, I'll link.

I DO NOT look at the Russian hooker before rejecting. :D

• Members

So Mr. Phait....

It seems you're back from outer space. I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face. I should have changed that stupid lock. I should have made you leave your key....If I'd've known for just one second you'd back to bother me.

• Members

Hey Phait,

Love the pic site. Thanks for the links. Are you profiting from your visual creative output? If not you should be!

This one:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2215/617/1600/scene8.jpg

and "the path", which looks like several on the current site but, IMHO, is better. :thu: It appears to be a different view of the 4x4 stepped path you have in full color on the site.

Archived