Advice: A&R scout wants... me

Phait

• Members

Nah, not profiting. Don't quite have a good enough camera to do anything decent with the prints - only 2.0 MP, and just a point n' shoot (although I've managed to do alright with it and some Photoshop tweaking).

Only thing I'm profiting from at the moment is a real job, and slowly getting graphic design (print focused) beyond step 1 with a decent fictional portfolio (mockups are quicker to complete than finding good clients at this point).

• Members

Don't get me wrong but there are plenty of things you can do (and are doing) with that 2.0MP camera that are worthy of profit.

2.0MP is more than enough to make those wonderful splash screens (wallpaper) for companies which can also be used in smaller forms of online advertising. You have a wonderful eye for design and the tools to work on website design. If you have no interest in programming the website, hook up with a web designer who can do the programming, incorporating your photography and graphic design. :thu:

• Members

I know I may just be a cat, but I never had much care for 3rd party A&R folks. A&R is traditionally handled by record companies themselves. In other words, if a company is looking for artists, they have their own scouts. 3rd party scouts that say that they will hook you up are usually full of it.

• Members

I did a little Google search for something and ran into some hip-hop, third party claiming to do everything from A&R to labels, budgeting recordings, administering mechanical royalties and a host of other services.

After whining for several paragraphs on how they can only serve clients by staying in business, they proceeded to lay out a legal document stating their contract with (presumably) you, the artist.

Among other things they're asking for 20% of all gross monies earned from recordings made during the term of the contract in addition to 20% of all gross monies made from ongoing sales of previous recordings made prior to the start of contract!

What kind of idiot would sign over 20% of everything they've already done before hooking up with these "agents"?? :rolleyes:

Archived