Help identify the good Squiers

stanfield

• Members

Do you have a Squier you think plays great? Let everyone know who made it.

We all know Squier isn't made by Fender USA, but rather the brand is outsourced to various manufacturers. Different manufacturers means different machinery and different systems of quality control. Different years can also translate to different construction specs. At the bottom of Wikipedia's entry on the Squier brand there is a section on 'Serial Number Tracing'. This breaks down the serial by country as well as the outsourced manufacturer in some cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#Serial_number_tracing

Post your model, country of origin, manufacturer(if listed), and year to help fellow forum members in their search for the elusive 'good deal'.

EDIT: Seeing as this is a public forum I can not moderate this thread. A couple of forum members have brought up problems with a thread like this, all valid problems. So, I would ask if you are replying to this thread to put a little thought into it. If you do not include the above information in your post, your post does not serve this thread's purpose and simply adds clutter. If you are a new player or have only played a few different guitars, you might want to include that in your response - experience means everything when it comes to opinions. Keep 'em short & sweet please.

(Good examples are batotman & Doctor Morbius)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a '06 strat made in China/Taiwan. It's a Cherryburst and according to some folk at the Squier forum, one of the best Squiers made. Can't say, but it's miles better than my '05 Indonesian strat. Except for the pups, no complaints.

• Members

1. Red SSS Squire w/white picups/guard/rosewood fingerboard/"70s"headstock

Made in China, Yako(Taiwan) in 1998.

Report: Bought used from original owner on sept 23, 2007, Never played.

After initial complete setup/w/new strings, The guitar played and

sounded VERY good. The action is one of the lowest I have ever owned

with no buzz or bend buzz issues of any kind.

Guitar nice in every way EXCEPT!!!!!= Extremely crappy tuners. Everyone

of them grind as if stripped inside(gears) cruncky like sand. Highly

reccommend upgrading.

Crappy extremely thin wires & poor soldering inside(hot and ground

attatched to output jack). Reccomend Upgrading= Easy fix. Otherwise, great guitar

in every other way. Special notes: exceptional figure on rosewood fingerboard.

2. Butterscotch blond Telecaster w/black picguard & maple neck/fingerboard.

Made in China Yako(Taiwan) in 2007.

Purchased new in july/aug. 2007

Report: Exceptional Guitar in every way. Plays great, sounds great Looks

Spectacular. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!!!!!!!!

Notes: Very nice neck/fingerboard, however, extremely light (white) in

color. Would prefer more vintage aged look on neck/fingerboard.

Easily remedied.

Pickups, sound great but somewhat noisy. I can live with it for now.

No replacement reccomendation.

Anyone looking for an inexpensive Tele, This IS the best 150.00 or so, you will spend. Period.

These are both known as Afinity Squires, and they both say Crafted in China on the headstock.

Hey, ease up!! There ARE people out there that DONT know that.;)

• Members

2005 China made Jagmaster II. Lovely guitar, plays sweet with the best neck of any Squier evah! Only issue is mine came with a ground hum that warranty service and two top luthiers said couldn't be diagnosed. Two other posters had the same issue. Still, I love the little bastard.

2005 Indonesian Tele Custom. Solid, toneful with no issues. A ton of fun for the money.

• Members

I have 2 very nice maple neck Squier Strats. Both are MIC Affinity models. One is getting a paint job and pickup upgrade, the other is a butterscotch 20th Anniversary with black pickguard that I am leaving alone. Only seen a couple like it. They both play really nice. The pickups are sucky though. Compared even to a MIM Std Strat, the Affinity sounds really thin. All by itself it's OK. I dont mind the skinny body at all, I find them more comfortable that way.

• Members

I have to do research?

and by research I mean; go take my guitars out of their cases, write down the serial number, cross reference it, and then post it back here? ok I'll be back next week...

My Indonesian Cort 2004 Trans Walnut had an absolute piece of shit for a neck. Lovely to look at, frets poked in by a blind rhinocerous, with a painful hangnail.

The fret level involved taking about 20 thousandths off of some frets and NONE off of others. Then I accidentilly broke the tongue off while trying to seat the last fret. AFTER the leveling of course. :freak:

The body with blade pups is in the spam thread. The body is nice, but I hate this git.

I'm going to saw the neck into itty bitty little pieces, burn it in a coffee can, and then piss out the fire.

All my other Squiers are excellent. Some are far better than they have a right to be. Like I said, I'll update this thread later.

• Members

I'm going to saw the neck into itty bitty little pieces, burn it in a coffee can, and then piss out the fire.

I don't feel like digging out my few squiers to see where each was made, so I am going off memory. :freak:

The '51's were made in Indonesia. Good guitars after tweaking, and GREAT values.

The Tele Custom II was made in Indonesia. Great guitar after tweaking, and GREAT value.

The Squier II Strat was made in Korea. I bought it in a pawn shop. The neck is GREAT, the body is a fine tone-wood ply. ;) I know the pickups aren't stock.

The red mahogany HH strat was made in China (I think :idk:). OK guitar and great value from the Overstock guitar blowout last year.

• Members

I have a '06 strat made in China/Taiwan. It's a Cherryburst and according to some folk at the Squier forum, one of the best Squiers made. Can't say, but it's miles better than my '05 Indonesian strat. Except for the pups, no complaints.

I have the same guitar. IMO, the pickups are fine if you play clean but mud up with any gain, so I replaced them with Fralin Vintage Hots.

Incredible deal stock for $199. And with $200 in upgrades I'd put it up against any sub $1000 Fender. Upgrades include the pickups, all new electronics (w/ master tone and a blender pot), new nut and cosmetics (PG, knobs, etc). The only other upgrade I might add one day is new tuners

csbsquier01.jpg

• Members

I used to have a HSS strat, made in Japan. It was a very fine guitar, with switching instead of a selector, and a coil splitter for the humbucker. I sadly gave it into an auction for a charity, in a moment of insane generosity. I slightly regret that.

I would recommend squier to anyone. Great guitars for the price, although the pickups can sometimes be a bit tinny.

• Members

I have a mijapan squire strat w/ fender replacement tuners(stays in tune great).Changed out pickups a couple of times,ending up with texas specials which work for me.Funny thing is when first purchased I didn't want it to have a squire logo so I changed decals,and added aged looking knobs.I would never misrepresent it for what it is but it sure sounds good.

• Members

I have the same guitar. IMO, the pickups are fine if you play clean but mud up with any gain, so I replaced them with Fralin Vintage Hots.

Incredible deal stock for $199. And with $200 in upgrades I'd put it up against any sub $1000 Fender. Upgrades include the pickups, all new electronics (w/ master tone and a blender pot), new nut and cosmetics (PG, knobs, etc). The only other upgrade I might add one day is new tuners

I have one of those too. It's the guitar I play the most. I put a Hot Rails in the bridge of mine. Been thinking about picking up another one this one plays so good. Kind of silly having two guitars just alike though, but it's that good. I was wanting another one so I could change out the pickguard (love the white pearl you have, it's what I wanted for mine) except I was going to put a JB in there. My camera sucks.

IM000601-1.jpg

• Members

I've had four 1990s MIK Pro Tone Squiers and they were all fantastic guitars. The Fat Tele was the best, but the three Strats weren't far behind. Played, sounded, and felt like much more expensive guitars.

I've also had a 2006 Indonesian made Affinity Strat that was uninspiring. It really felt and sounded cheap.

The three '51s I've had were all great platforms for modifications. None of mine had the normal sharp frets issue that so many people complain about.

• Members

I have one of those too. It's the guitar I play the most. I put a Hot Rails in the bridge of mine. Been thinking about picking up another one this one plays so good. Kind of silly having two guitars just alike though, but it's that good. I was wanting another one so I could change out the pickguard (love the white pearl you have, it's what I wanted for mine) except I was going to put a JB in there. My camera sucks.

IM000601-1.jpg

Thanks. FYI, I got the pickguard from GuitarFetish. IIRC, it lined up perfectly with the factory holes, except 1 that was off by just a few mm. I think they have an HSS version if you want to go with the JB

• Members

Vintage Modified Thinline Telecaster

Crafted in China - China/Yako in 2007

s/n CY07060009

This guitar is very well made. I've seen some poor workmanship on some Squiers but not this one. It is very good. Comparable to a Xaviere XV800 I use to own. :cool:

• Members

I have a chinese "bullet by squier" strat. I don't knwo how old it is. I'll look it up when I get home. It is a full-size strat. Not a thin body or short neck or anything. It has the bathtub rout and a neck like a ball bat. Very deep U. Frets are really small. The hardware was junk, but after replacing everything, it's a neat guitar. Really heavy body. bright sounding. Very good for funk. I put in GFS HH covered humbucker loaded pickguard. It has a great "le Freak" sound.

Archived