NGD = Bit of a BUMMER-cuz-Poor Gibson & FQMS QC

GAS Man

• Members

FYI $2299 is dealer price on this Les Paul. FQMS and any one store that has one of these Guitars of the Week paid exactly $2299 for their guitar. I have this same exact guitar and it plays like an absolute dream.

Of course, I spent more than $2299 on mine -- the street price is $3100 and I was able to snag mine for $2700 which is a great deal. Anyways, the guitar is fantastic. Take it to a tech for a full setup and tell him about the 8th fret. The fret wire is gold straight through so don't worry about exposing nickel underneath or anything.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got a Squier '51 I'm prepared to trade you dead even, no questions asked...
:wave:

~Blackbelt

That made me chuckle out loud. :lol:

But you should consider hanging onto the '51, give me the $99 bucks you probably paid for the '51 and then you can put the '51 neck on the Gibson Supreme when it gets there since the two that I own have superior fret leveling (just not superior fret edges) :cool:

• Members

FYI $2299 is dealer price on this Les Paul. FQMS and any one store that has one of these Guitars of the Week paid exactly $2299 for their guitar. I have this same exact guitar and it plays like an absolute dream.

Of course, I spent more than $2299 on mine -- the street price is $3100 and I was able to snag mine for $2700 which is a great deal. Anyways, the guitar is fantastic. Take it to a tech for a full setup and tell him about the 8th fret. The fret wire is gold straight through so don't worry about exposing nickel underneath or anything.

Thanks - I'm thinking that way - but waffle back and forth between that and tossing it back. I do know a luthier in Seattle who does very good work, but it would cost about $180 or so out the door for his full pro-setup that includes leveling, crowning and polishing. Plust that's a 200 mile round trip for me twice. :freak: I just don't know if I trust any of the little shop tech up in my town to do the work.

But one other thing that is really interesting about this model guitar is

THEY ARE FAT! I could tell just by the feel that it is thicker, but I just discovered the bottom won't even fit into my Quik Lok guitar stands. It contributes nicely to that jazz box tone that's blended in with the LP tone on this guitar.

• Members

After seeing the initial pics, I thought you were going to say a pot was bad and needed to be replaced. Not sure how that's done on those.

However, just to ask the silly question: Is it possible the fret is just not fully seated? I'm not even certain how you could correct that without possibly cracking the neck binding.

• Members

If you dig the guitar other than its flaws I say as earlier mentioned Send it too Gibson or a Gibson authorized luthier/repairman and insist on a flawless example. But if your turned off on her now and understandable then just return her.

BTW you have so Many fine Gibson examples allready what could this model offer over the pack you allready have?

Id get a 335 over the Supreme LP's for the semi hollowed/chambered vibe.

• Members

I just got another e-mail response back from Larry at FQM, and he's offering to pay for return shipping, fix the guitar there, and then send it back to me.

That sounds like a good idea. A hassle, but nothing else other than just exchange for refund would make good sense to me. He also stated that he had no more wiggle room for price adjustment since the $2299 was their cost as Protokoll posted earlier.

But I wanted to be sure to post this so FQM gets the credit for giving me a good response on this matter.

• Members

BTW you have so Many fine Gibson examples allready what could this model offer over the pack you allready have?

Id get a 335 over the Supreme LP's for the semi hollowed/chambered vibe.

I didn't pick the USER name of "GAS Man" for no reason. ;) I'm truly afflicted.

But it also offered more bling and a LP with the 490/498 combination which I didn't have. And truly, it does sound and feel different than the others. It's also got an ebony fretboard which should contribute to a bit more top end.

I've actually got the 335 thing covered. I found a '91 years ago and picked it up used for $900. Although I love the 335 for what it is, it's such a bulky bastard that I've never really bonded with it. I'd be tempted to trade off that 335 for one of these newer/smaller bodied 339s.

• Members

Is it possible the fret is just not fully seated? I'm not even certain how you could correct that without possibly cracking the neck binding.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I was visually putting a big set of pliers over the fret and neck and giving it a squeeze after I padded the surfaces, but I'd hate to crunch it.

• Members

P.S. I`ll take that black beauty on the far left with the P90s. Please tell me it plays and sounds as wonderful as it looks!!!

Well, I'll tell you, ya know how you start to get pre-occupied with a concept guitar like a "Gibson LP with P-90s"? Well I was going thru that and seriously considering the Edwards which I think would be a great idea, but ordering from Japan was a little initimidating to me so I was procrastinating on that idea.

The Gibson '56 Goldtops are now over $3K, so this one seemed like a compromise at $2550 or so, and it was black like the Edwards I was eyeing.

But anyway, I called Sweetwater and they knocked 10% off the street price for me, so I got it for $2294, not bad I guess.

It certainly plays just fine. I've noticed no issues to it. It sounds kinda of jazzy as well but can produce a lot of growl and cut to the tone with the bridge pup cranked, so you might be more likely to blend in some neck pup volume to fatten the tone. But if I were doing a blind fold test, I might have to admit I might prefer the Gibson P-90 tone in my Classic SG over this guy. The SG's thinner body adds a bit more vibe. I also bought a '56 Epiphone Goldtop for my stepson last June. He brought it up here and we played them both. Although we didn't exactly A/B them side by side (I was in no hurry to prove the Gibson I bought myself sounded better than the Epi I'd bought him) we played them together in the living room and I'd say they sounded similar. It's kind of a physics thing I think. Although mine has a maple cap and his has an alder cap, it's still basically thick mahogany body plus P-90 pickups = similar tone. But I imagine if we'd closely A/B'd them, you would hear a little more sweetness, vibe, clarity in the Gibson, but definitely not night and day.

So I'd say I'm happy with it and it will be a guitar I'll want to be buried with, but I wouldn't say it's a "must have" guitar. I'm also left with the curiosity of what I would have thought about this GOW next to the standard production run classic custom that comes with the open coil Classic '57 pickups. But I am a bit of a P-90 fan, so this was my choice.

That Studio with BFG electronics, by the way, is an interesting tone machine. It sounds similar in the rhythm postion with the P-90 in the neck, and it blends wonderfully with the BB-3 in the bridge, and then that Burstbucker sounds great if you like hard rock tones with lots of harmonic overtones. I guess I enjoy more classic tones, but that Studio BFG is cool for people that like a hard rockin bridge pickup guitar but would also like some cool jazzy/bluesy tones from the neck. And at half the price of admission. Only down side is it just looks a bit more utilitarian. Not the type of guitar you'd bring home to meet mom. ;)

• Members

I agree 100 percent.

I of course respect and appreciate the divergent opinions but still kinda think

REALLY?

I think it's a sexy bitch. But yeah, maybe not my first choice either (the '59 or the Vintage Tobacco Burst mgiht be for color scheme)

The pics above, as I previously mentioned, were swiped from an ebay sale and used in my previous thread from a week ago when I placed the order.

I just took a picture of it with no flash, so it looks like it does on a cloudy rainy Saturday afternoon in my study/guest bedroom/studio :D But the colors are more subdued without a bright photo light.

It's cool if you don't like the way it looks, but this guitar passes the wife test. ;)

LPSupreme.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

update:

After 2.5 weeks at the guitar doc

Finally my new bouncing baby Lester comes home from the hospital today, just in time for jam sessions with my stepson coming up to visit for the holiday.

The tech I took it to is an authorized Gibson warranty repair guy. He said the fret wasn't loose, but it probably raised up due to wood swelling. So it probably left the factory okay, but caught a cold somewhere on its way from Nashville to the Pacific NW.

And as he said, Gibson (et al) used to use "seasoned wood" now they use kiln dried wood so they can still be subject to change as the wood continues to dry out naturally.

:cool:

• Members

so she's good as new?

AWESOME!

And all that stuff was covered under your Gibbo warranty, right?

Don't have it in my hands yet, but the guitar doc said "yes" and "yes".

Although he did say he had to get a specific "Gibson warranty okay" to do the fret work. But I said "just be sure you let them know it's unplayable out of the box just not me being finicky". I was pretty sure that wasn't going to be a problem since I had talked with Gibson Support and had gotten the local guys name after describing the problem

So the story has a happy ending now, except for the debt of $2300 :eek:

:wave:

Archived