So what's the verdict on those single-coil SG's?

trill

• Members

Like this one, or this one, or this one.

Anybody got one? There aren't any reviews posted that I could find. I'm thinking short scale + single coils = sweet, sweet tone. Also the Fireburst one is about $100 cheaper than the other two, I guess because it's swamp ash?

Someone tell me which one of these I should be dreaming about buying.

• Members

I like them, though i can't see me paying Gibby money, TBH! I'd love to see one with an ash body and a maple neck & FB... a sort of SG-Strat crossbreed - yum!

They're pretty reasonably priced for a USA, limited-edition Gibson. The Fireburst is about $800.

• Members

I like them, though i can't see me paying Gibby money, TBH! I'd love to see one with an ash body and a maple neck & FB... a sort of SG-Strat crossbreed - yum!

Forget Gibby money, they are down to $799 right now. That's more like Highway One money

• Members

Wait a minute . . . Ash body, maple neck, 3 single coils? What, other than the shape, is the SG part of that equation? Sounds more like a blackmore strat to me.

• Members

Wait a minute . . . Ash body, maple neck, 3 single coils? What, other than the shape, is the SG part of that equation? Sounds more like a blackmore strat to me.

Scale length, upper fret access, fretboard radius, set neck. It could be the best of both worlds, or it could sound tinny and weak. That's why I'm trying to get some feedback on them. Edward up there is just fantasizing, though.

• Members
Someone with some Photoshop skillz needs to get on that to make the comparison a bit clearer.

SG3WEBCH1_.jpg

adux_1976_15924

I guess it's a personal bias -- I think SGs should only have soapbars or 'buckers, though if I was less shallow, I would be open to a a light weight guitar with funky lipsticks that would be very articulate and quite playable...

c

• Members

I also want to know about these. evidently not too many people bought them, or someone would have written in to tell us how they sound.

Well, all three are Guitars of the Week, which means they're limited runs and just a tiny bit on the pricey side. The Fireburst ones are practically a steal now, though....

...provided the pickups don't sound like butt, that is.

• Members

yeah, just got the fireburst, and i must say, it was well worth it! i paid 720 for it when musiciansfriend was having a sale on them. 720 for a gibby with a real finish and with a case is an incredible deal imo. it is quite versatile too and has some p90 flair to it. oh and it is INCREDIBLY light (about 5.5 pounds)!

• Members
yeah, just got the fireburst, and i must say, it was well worth it! i paid 720 for it when musiciansfriend was having a sale on them. 720 for a gibby with a real finish and with a case is an incredible deal imo. it is quite versatile too and has some p90 flair to it. oh and it is INCREDIBLY light (about 5.5 pounds)!

Awesome. I think someone's trying to flip one on ebay for $750 :mad:

• Members

They're pretty reasonably priced for a USA, limited-edition Gibson. The Fireburst is about $800.

I hit the Fireburst sunday night. Got 20% off. $639.20 was not too bad for a USA Gibson and I already have enough HH guitars. I'll give it whirl.

Archived