sg copies

zoinghun

• Members

Agile has a guitar called a Valkerye which is suppposed to be "SGish"

And their SX brand also has an SG copy guitar

I think you don't see as many SG copies as Strats and LP's b/c the SG would probably be voted the least popular of the 3.

• Members

If you can ever get your hands on a Guild S-100, an American-made SG inspired instrument, try it out. IMHO, it is a much better guitar than the SG. I've got a '97 reissue that is one of my favorite guitars of all time. Unfortunately, Fender bought Guild out and eventually discontinued all their electrics.

• Members

epiphone, my man, epiphone

i second this. for the price, its hard to beat a nice epi g400 if you want a "real" sg.

sx makes a propper sg clone, but you cant buy it in the US. bacchus also makes a cool SG clone from real african mahogany for $300ish, but again, not available in the US.

most of the rest are the lopsided or melted sg variety, and cost about the same as the epi's anyway.

• Members

epiphone, my man, epiphone

That's basically what I was thinking upon reading your OP. They've really got it covered, so it makes sense for a company like ESP to take off from the SG and create something similar but different (thicker for one) in the Viper.

I did notice the other day, however, that ESP makes SG copies under the Edwards name.

I recently picked up a Epi G-400 Deluxe (blem) as a Christmas present. Just got done setting it up and boxing it back up for the big day.

e23c_1.JPG copped an ebay pic (but hard to beat this SG copy for $296)

My assessment was - very nice as is - just needs new pups to be a little more complex in tone and then it will be stellar. And I went looking for Edwards to see if the made SGs because I was curious what they use as pickups - answer - Duncan '59 & JB. Whaddaya think of those in an SG?

• Members

If you can ever get your hands on a Guild S-100, an American-made SG inspired instrument, try it out. IMHO, it is a much better guitar than the SG. I've got a '97 reissue that is one of my favorite guitars of all time. Unfortunately, Fender bought Guild out and eventually discontinued all their electrics.

On the cheap there's also used DeArmond S-73's, which are based on the S-100:

2000dearmond-s-73.jpg

I have an Agile Valkyrie II, which has P-90's, which you can't get on Epi or for that matter virtually any of the other copies (Turser does have an SG Junior though):

64969414_025241fa57.jpg

• Members

Bacchus? $300?
:confused:

indeed. universe series, made in china, set up in japan. trying to get one shipped to canada but havent had the time or energy to do so yet.

its got the modern neck joint and propper bevels too, along with neck volute, which is why i like it more than the others ive seen which are all based on the 61.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g61775683

gvincent50s-img450x600-1194590080tmp28-1

• Moderators

indeed. universe series, made in china, set up in japan. trying to get one shipped to canada but havent had the time or energy to do so yet.

its got the modern neck joint and propper bevels too, along with neck volute, which is why i like it more than the others ive seen which are all based on the 61.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g61775683

gvincent50s-img450x600-1194590080tmp28-1

Aaaaaahhhh, very good looking

• Members

I tired a friend's Vintage SG a while back ,and was very impressed with it indeed - especially with the quality of the Wilkinson hardware and pups. (For whatever reason, I've always found SGs less prone to sounding muddy than LPs, especially at the cheaper ned of the market.) The Vintage certainly compares very favourably to the Epi at a significant saving, though I'd like to try one of each that was a few years old to compare how well they wear. The Epi G400 is an extremely impressive instrument for its price bracket - almost too good for Gibson's own good. Whereas the "proper" Gibsons are crazily priced over here (around US1200 for a faded...), the Epi represents excellent value for money. My personal choice, when comes the time for an SG, would be Tokai: I fancy one each of the Korean (similarly priced to the Epiphone) and the Japanese models. The MIJ is, IMO, a real threat to the Gibson, coming in at around half the price. I'd also consider Edwards if I found one available. Tokai do a p90 equipped model.

If you're less fussy about it having the Gibson look, Gordon Smith do great SG style guitars. No fancy schmancy crown or block inlays, and most of them are satin finish, but they're made by two guys (I think officially they're not hand made because there is some element of mechanisation, but it's not exactly cookie cutter stuff, they're all hand operated). Unbeatable at the price, which is a shade under the Gibby SG Special, and all the options are available, including p90s and single pup junior styles.

• Members

ive never seen a company get the same curve/body style as a real SG except epiphone (though I dont consider them a copy)

epis arent the same as a gibson in shape neck joint or bevels.

the closest ive seen is the bacchus '68 copy, and the edwards '61 copy. the edwards cost nearly as much as the gibson though, so...

Archived