overhauling my gear

Alchemist

• Members

I dont know whats come over me, but I feel compelled to just tear down and rebuild. Some things have earned their places so will stay in the rig (Mesa F-30 head, fender supersonic 4*12 cab, AC custom, G&L Legacy, and Ibanez RG1570).... I'm getting rid of the rest, and putting it towards some more expensive gear that will hopefully suit me better (I hope :freak:).

Its probably gonna be a while until I can sell all my other stuff off (twin reverb, bass amp, bass, drums, my other RG570, and other unmentionable cheap guitars :o)....

At the end, I plan to put the money towards some boutique clean to slightly dirty rig, maybe a Dr Z Maz 18 or Carmen Ghia head into a Dr Z 2*10 cab, a PRS McSoapy or Mira, and a fruity over the top warmoth superstrat build....

Anybody else done this? did you regret it after?

I've sold off a lot of gear in the past, but never in large volumes at once.

• Members

I've had some lapses of GAS consciousness through the years where I've parted with a few gems.
The list of regret:

1955 Gretsch Country Club(Cadillac Green:cry:)
1964 Gibson SG Special
1969 Ampeg Dan Armstrong Plexi guitar
Mid 60's Mosrite thinline bass
Ampeg VT40 (original run)....this was a SWEET amp. I must have been high as a kite when I let this go.

There were more but these are the ones that went that I think about.

• Members

Nope, never done it all at once. I don't have even enough average gear to be worried about selling even better gear to get boutiue gear (does that make sense?). But I do sell off stuff once in a while to make things less complicated, less is more philosophy. But I haven't been buying gear all that long, so it will take me a while to get to the level you're at. I could see though, eventually getting a really good LP, a really good strat, and a 335 or something like that, and not much else.

• Members

nice im doing that to my strat, sorta, im replacing everything on it, i really liked the feeling of the neck, but i hated it, its a squier, but then i found some flaming on the back of the neck, so i am going to keep it, and just overhaul everything on it

• Members
Keep it then.

The gear I dumped was nothing I would have missed. I kept teh cool stuff!

I dont like the tube, and chasis vibrations that occur in high power combos..... I try to ignore it, but it gets to me (its not that loud now that I changed my preamp tubes, but I can be borderline OCD when it comes to this stuff lol).... I prefer head/cab combinations, seems to eliminate that......
its a tough choice, but Dr Z cleans are as good or better (really its just preferance at this point), so I dont know if I will truly miss it once its gone.... it will be tough letting go of that beautiful reverb though :(

• Members

I dont like the tube, and chasis vibrations that occur in high power combos..... I try to ignore it, but it gets to me (its not that loud now that I changed my preamp tubes, but I can be borderline OCD when it comes to this stuff lol).... I prefer head/cab combinations, seems to eliminate that......

its a tough choice, but Dr Z cleans are as good or better (really its just preferance at this point), so I dont know if I will truly miss it once its gone.... it will be tough letting go of that beautiful reverb though
:(

Ya the ol' Fender reverb is something else at that. You could always go with Fenders 63' outboard reverb box replica if needed. Might be just the thing!

• Members

I did. I got a Carmen Ghia, and I love it. That's pretty much all I play now. I even traded my Carr HammerHead since I never used it anymore.

I don't regret the "shift" that took place. Sure I have a lot less guitars - from 30 down to 12 - but what I have left is guitars that are perfect *for me*.

I dont know whats come over me, but I feel compelled to just tear down and rebuild. Some things have earned their places so will stay in the rig (Mesa F-30 head, fender supersonic 4*12 cab, AC custom, G&L Legacy, and Ibanez RG1570).... I'm getting rid of the rest, and putting it towards some more expensive gear that will hopefully suit me better (I hope
:freak:
).

Its probably gonna be a while until I can sell all my other stuff off (twin reverb, bass amp, bass, drums, my other RG570, and other unmentionable cheap guitars
:o
)....

At the end, I plan to put the money towards some boutique clean to slightly dirty rig, maybe a Dr Z Maz 18 or Carmen Ghia head into a Dr Z 2*10 cab, a PRS McSoapy or Mira, and a fruity over the top warmoth superstrat build....

• Members

I did. I got a Carmen Ghia, and I love it. That's pretty much all I play now. I even traded my Carr HammerHead since I never used it anymore.

I don't regret the "shift" that took place. Sure I have a lot less guitars - from 30 down to 12 - but what I have left is guitars that are perfect *for me*.

Good to see ya back in the neighborhood!

• Members
I dont know whats come over me, but I feel compelled to just tear down and rebuild. Some things have earned their places so will stay in the rig (Mesa F-30 head, fender supersonic 4*12 cab, AC custom, G&L Legacy, and Ibanez RG1570).... I'm getting rid of the rest, and putting it towards some more expensive gear that will hopefully suit me better (I hope
:freak:
).

Its probably gonna be a while until I can sell all my other stuff off (twin reverb, bass amp, bass, drums, my other RG570, and other unmentionable cheap guitars
:o
)....

Yup. I did exactly this earlier this year. Dumped a bunch of lower end amps, and started towards my "good" gear.

• Members

I'm kind of in the middle of the same process. I have some really nice guitars I'll never part with, and I have a few I've picked up along the way that I don't consider "heirloom" instruments. I'll probably gradually phase some of those out in favor of long-term gear.

~Blackbelt

Archived