This guy thinks Edwards are inferior guitars!

Hoddy

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Terry believes that Edwards are inferior student grade guitars made from poor materials, crappy parts and sub-standard workmanship. Edwards owners stand up and feel free to post pics of your Edwards along with commentary in this thread!
:D

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683597

He's right.....Take a look at this Edwards X-ray at how they "gut" the {censored} out of their guitars.

EDIT>>>>>>OHHHH{censored}TTT....my bad, thats not Edwards that's a Gibson!

• Members

Who's Terry and why should I care for his opinion?
Interesting thread though and one more reason not to venture outside of EG
:p

From reading that thread I gather Terry is an uninformed nit who thinks he's smarter than anyone else and is (apparently) unschooled in the art of argumentation.

+1 on venturing outside EG.

• Members

The guy is an arrogant troll.

I'd bet he's never touched an Edwards, Burny, Greco, or Orville LP.

He can think and say what he wants. I've owned Gibson LP's and I'll stay with Edwards from now on thank you.

• Members

Actually, its Grass Roots that are the student grade guitars. Edwards are the mid level :) I've only played a few, but I prefer them to Epi's, but not as much as Gibsons. To each their own though :) .... either way, no sense in feeding trolls... nobody is ever wrong on the internet...

• Members

Actually, its Grass Roots that are the student grade guitars. Edwards are the mid level
:)
I've only played a few, but I prefer them to Epi's, but not as much as Gibsons. To each their own though
:)
.... either way, no sense in feeding trolls... nobody is ever wrong on the internet...

I hear ya, Though with the way Gibson is now "gutting"...errr...I mean chambering the reg' Gibson LP line, makes me wonder if copies like Edwards are going to start sounding more like a Les-Paul than a Les-Paul does.:freak:

• Members

I hear ya, Though with the way Gibson is now "gutting"...errr...I mean chambering the reg' Gibson LP line, makes me wonder if copies like Edwards are going to start sounding more like a Les-Paul than a Les-Paul does.
:freak:

Gibson did that before with their smartwood studios, I thought they sounded pretty good. Besides, werent chambered guitars sold at a premium before anyway.... like its some special feature.

• Members

Who's Terry and why should I care for his opinion?
Interesting thread though and one more reason not to venture outside of EG
:p

:thu:

Yes, I usually feel like I need a bath whenever I surf outside of EG.

• Members

Gibson did that before with their smartwood studios, I thought they sounded pretty good. Besides, werent chambered guitars sold at a premium before anyway.... like its some special feature.

Gibson does or did have some higher end chambered models. The chambering is much dif' though. Not as severe and not under the bridge area. No pup routes on this pic' (backside shot) but there def' is a dif'. I think they wired up in a weird way like through the input jack or something then added a maple cap back.

• Members

Terry believes that Edwards are inferior student grade guitars made from poor materials, crappy parts and sub-standard workmanship. Edwards owners stand up and feel free to post pics of your Edwards along with commentary in this thread!

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683597

Well.. I read the whole thread, wow.. Terry does come off as an arse..

But actually.. dude, so do you.. :wave:

(yes I owned an Edwards and currently own a Bacchus LP copy and a Gibson LP copy, so I have no sides on the pissing match:p)

• Members

I have a 2006 Gibson Studio, an 2005 Edwards John Sykes and an 80s model Burny.. They are all amazing ! The Edwards gives NOTHING up. I DONT like the new weight relieving gibson is doing.. I think it should be an option. My Burny is about 11-12 lbs.. Its a beast but sustains forever..

LESPAUL1.jpg

EBONYIVORY.jpg

• Members

I'm not sure about the whole chambering thing, as if it is a bad thing. Why would Gibson go to the extra time and expense to add chambering, if it made the tone worse? Doesn't make any sense. It would seem logical they do it because:

a) It has no affect on tone

b) It makes the guitar lighter, which is what the majority of players want

c) It makes their guitars more "feature laden" compared to the competition

I don't have an Edwards, and from what I have seen on the interent, they look like a very nice guitar. But if you want the "real thing" then it is still a substitute. No Gibson pickups, and (usually) a poly finish, not quite the same thing. But to the OP, yeah calling it a "student guitar" is idiotic.

• Members

I'm not sure about the whole chambering thing, as if it is a bad thing. Why would Gibson go to the extra time and expense to add chambering, if it made the tone worse? Doesn't make any sense. It would seem logical they do it because:

I don't have an Edwards, and from what I have seen on the interent, they look like a very nice guitar. But if you want the "real thing" then it is still a substitute. No Gibson pickups, and (usually) a poly finish, not quite the same thing. But to the OP, yeah calling it a "student guitar" is idiotic.

a) it does have an effect on tone. Chambered guitars are a mix between solids and semis in tonal coloration.

b) it allows them to use lower-quality wood without the weight penalty, saving them a few $ in the process.

c) no.

If you want a guitar that's closest to the original, don't get an Edwards (veneer, poly, SDs), get a Navigator. That said, I'd take a 1-pieced body, long neck tennoned Edwards over a chambered, short tennoned, multi-pieced Gibby LP Standard on features and price 100/100 times.

• Members

Can Gibson even classify the Paul as a solid body guitar these days?:freak: All that wood gone, especially under the bridge is going to change the tone. Of course the change being good or bad is subjective.

• Members

People can think what they want.

I know what I have, and I know I like it.

My:

Diodati 59Q, Edwards Sykes LPC, Diodati 58, Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe.

nonlpsfc3.jpg

They get me those nice mahogany/maple, 24 3/4 scale, dual humbucker tones

I'm looking for.

That's all that matters.

Besides saving a lot on my Car insurance. :lol::wave:

• Members

People can think what they want.

I know what I have, and I know I like it.

Yup.:thu:

One of the small compensations of actually knowing what you're talking about is the privilege of not giving too much of a {censored} about what other people think.

• Members

yeah when i first got here i went round and round with "no soul" then got to play an edwards, nice! i was wrong! "soul" was right!

what i don't get now is everyone cried about the gibby's being to heavy, so they listen to you and start making them lighter and you all start crying " oh they cut them up" now imho you all ( you know who you are) just seem to want to go on about something and theres no making you happy, but like i said thats just mho

anyway thier both fine guitars and i wouldn't throw either of them out of bed for eating crackers:D

• Members

yeah when i first got here i went round and round with "no soul" then got to play an edwards, nice! i was wrong! "soul" was right!

what i don't get now is everyone cried about the gibby's being to heavy, so they listen to you and start making them lighter and you all start crying " oh they cut them up" now imho you all ( you know who you are) just seem to want to go on about something and theres no making you happy, but like i said thats just mho

anyway thier both fine guitars and i wouldn't throw either of them out of bed for eating crackers:D

I think they were hoping Gibson would use solid lighter weight mahogany (like on the Historics) for the Production models.

Not take heavy mahogany and just route it.

Archived