Headstock reshaping completed! (pics inside)

asdfjkl semi

• Members

Some of you might remember the strat I built a few months ago that got me into the PartsPlayers Platoon (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668191). I've shown it off in a couple of different threads.

0.jpg

I really loved it and thought it was a great player. It had a great Warmoth neck, a string-through hardtail body, locking tuners, and all that good stuff, but something was bothering me aesthetically...

1.jpg

The big headstock started to get old after not so very long. Fortunately I go to a college that has a couple of halfway decent wood shops, and a friend of mine in the architecture program snuck me into one for some time on the band saw.

First I made a template of the headstock I wanted. I found some templates online, but they weren't quite perfect. I had to stick it to a neck I already had to make some adjustments.

2.jpg

I knew that the template would probably get in the way or fall off while working the band saw, so I threw a little bit of silver ink on the regions I wanted to cut off. Luckily, the 50s & 60's headstock design fits perfectly inside the 70's style headstock, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it to look right.

3.jpg

... to be continued in my next post ...

• Members

I didn't get any pictures while working the band saw (didn't want to lose any fingers) but here is what came out of a little bit of labor:

4.jpg

I still had a little ways to go. I had made a mistake in the sawing process and cut the lower horn thing as a (mostly) straight line instead of a bezier curve. THe ball part of the headstock was about as good as I could get on the saw I had to work with. I had already anticipated having to work that by hand.

So, I got out some files and got to work on that ball and the contours on the back of the neck. I wound up deciding to sand the horn-thing straight and just leave it.

5.jpg

Eventually I got a shape I was pretty happy with:

6.jpg

After that I sanded the edges smooth, then sanded off the old finish on both sides of the headstock so I could make a seamless coat. I also sanded the finish on the back of the neck down so that the next layer of poly would adhere and it would all look even. The next image shows some tape over the nut and the end of the ebony fingerboard. I didn't want to ruin those with the sander.

7.jpg

I applied a thin coat of polyurethane, then brought the thing back inside to dry in front of the fire. It was about 30 degrees outside, so leaving it out overnight was out of the question.

8.jpg

• Members

After the polyurethane had cured, I took some steel wool to the neck to leave a fast-playing, cool-looking satin finish. Then I bolted the neck back on, strung it up, checked the setup and headed out to play. Feels great and looks a lot better to my eyes now, though I probably voided the warranty in the process.

The end result:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Archived