Oh No, poor guy, selling his LP to buy a ring...

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh! I did that, sold a really sweet 12 string acoustic to buy my wife's engagement ring. Years later, the wife's an ex - miss the guitar though.

yep and that's my fear for the poor guy...

it's all good now, wait til they live together for a few years :cop:

• Members

Hmmm.... someone should set up a USED engagement ring section probably...

Imagine this,

WTS: Tiffany & Co Engagement Ring.

Condition: 8/10... Worn for 3 months.

Comes with box and ribbon.

........ Just a thought!

• Members

FWIW, I bought my wife's rings from a local jewelry pawnshop 10 years ago and it didn't seem to bother her at all...and although I still paid a pretty good chunk of money for it, the same exact set brand new would have cost me almost 3x as much.

And I didn't have to sell any of my guitars to do it either.

I will say one good thing...at least the guy isn't buying his woman's rings on credit (or else he'd still be paying for it after she's long gone).

• Members

My dad did this when he married my mom. He pawned off what he thought was a scrap Les Paul from the gibson factory. Turns out it was an exetremely rare prototype semihollow from the earlier years of production. The pawnshop owner sold it to the guitarist from Cheap Trick when their tour came through later that week. My dad didnn't have a clue, and when he got there to pay what he owed (on time add you) it was gone. My dad was ticked. Needless to say, my mother and father are now divorced. He still misses the guitar, but he does have me to jam around with. We're actually planing on making some guitars together this summer. I'm gonna surprise him with a guitar I designed based all the things he told me about that guitar. It won't be the one of a kind Gibson Les Paul he had, but it'll be kind of a thankyou gift in a way.:wave:

• Members

My dad did this when he married my mom. He pawned off what he thought was a scrap Les Paul from the gibson factory. Turns out it was an exetremely rare prototype semihollow from the earlier years of production. The pawnshop owner sold it to the guitarist from Cheap Trick when their tour came through later that week. My dad didnn't have a clue, and when he got there to pay what he owed (on time add you) it was gone. My dad was ticked. Needless to say, my mother and father are now divorced. He still misses the guitar, but he does have me to jam around with. We're actually planing on making some guitars together this summer. I'm gonna surprise him with a guitar I designed based all the things he told me about that guitar. It won't be the one of a kind Gibson Les Paul he had, but it'll be kind of a thankyou gift in a way.
:wave:

that's cool about you and your Dad... :thu:

sorry to hear about his guitar and your mom however :cry:

• Members

My dad did this when he married my mom. He pawned off what he thought was a scrap Les Paul from the gibson factory. Turns out it was an exetremely rare prototype semihollow from the earlier years of production. The pawnshop owner sold it to the guitarist from Cheap Trick when their tour came through later that week. My dad didnn't have a clue, and when he got there to pay what he owed (on time add you) it was gone. My dad was ticked. Needless to say, my mother and father are now divorced. He still misses the guitar, but he does have me to jam around with. We're actually planing on making some guitars together this summer. I'm gonna surprise him with a guitar I designed based all the things he told me about that guitar. It won't be the one of a kind Gibson Les Paul he had, but it'll be kind of a thankyou gift in a way.
:wave:

Why doncha e-mail the Rick Nielsen (the guitarist from Cheap Trick) and ask him about it. By all accounts he's a nice guy and really into gear and would probably at least tell you about the guitar so you know how to spec it out for the build.

Archived