NUGD (New Used Guitar Day) - Epi Strat content!

falsethreats

• Members

I'm sure some of the DC/NoVA craigslist regulars will hate me for this since I'm sure they saw the listing for a TWENTY DOLLAR EPIPHONE STRAT! :eek:

There's a good reason why this guitar is so cheap. The previous owner purchased this guitar from the original owner and kept it in its gig bag for three years. The strings are rusty, the frets are rusty, and the electronics need to be replaced. So, not only does today mark my new guitar day, but also the start of my first project. I really don't want to replace the neck because it feels really nice. I think I'm going to trash the pickguard and order a new wired pickguard from GFS. I want to buy a fat strat pickguard, but if the body doesn't provide space for it, then I guess a 3 single-coil pickguard will have to do.

Anyways, PICS!!

DSCN1512.jpg

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1514.jpg

I have some questions regarding the project. Is it okay to leave the guitar unstrung for a long time during this project? Also, what would you all recommend for removing the rust from the frets?

• Members

D U D E!, I have that guitar! Mine plays pretty nice. I added Jackson Electronics/pups and it's a cool guitar. Of course I have a Charvel with the exact same electronics that I play 99.99% of the time over the Epi because it's neck is teh sex.

Here is the Charvel:

?action=view&current=2e1ef66a.jpg

And the Epi-Caster:

ummmm..well..I just went through both of my photobucket accounts and realize that I don't have a single pick of the EPIcaster. It looks exactly like yours but with a hss jackson layout..the pups look like black EMGs not the sparkly versions in the guitar above.

Happy NUGD

bouncing0ms.gif[/img]

• Members

That's a score, even with the issues.

Are the bodies on those plywood or solid wood?

Doesn't feel like plywood, but I'm no expert.

EDIT: I checked the routing, and it looks like I can install a fat strat pickguard. If I wanted, I could use an HSH pickguard as well. :->

• Members

I missed that but I been busy elsewhere (snicker snicker).

Great score!

If I was you, I'd clean it and polish and not change a thing! It's pretty cool by itself. Take your time to learn what that particular guitar can show you.

WD-40 eats rust. Go to it. No problem leaving it unstrung.

• Members

I missed that but I been busy elsewhere (snicker snicker).

Great score!

If I was you, I'd clean it and polish and not change a thing! It's pretty cool by itself. Take your time to learn what that particular guitar can show you.

WD-40 eats rust. Go to it. No problem leaving it unstrung.

Well, the problem is that the wiring must be messed up, because when I tried it out, I had to mess around with the controls so that the guitar would output sound. And, it's not like "Turn it up to get output". It's more like "move the switch or volume knob around until a sound comes out of the amp".

• Members

You just need to learn yer tinker skills.

PM me where you are at, and we'll get together and fix that thing up.
:thu:

Don't buy anything, it ruins the $20 effect!

My father and I will work on cleaning and rewiring. For everything else (basically setting it up), I'll contact you. Thanks a lot! :thu:

Archived