How much would you pay for a pre-lawsuit era Lotus LP?

theGhost

• Members

guy says that the thing is from the 70's but is in good condition and weighs 11 lbs. says that he knows the visible wood all on the guitar is mahogany, but doesn't know if it's solid or just a veneer type thing b/c it has binding on the front and the back. set neck. pretty good shape overall. anybody have any suggestions? thanks.

• Members

Guitar Myth #1: Most guitars are collectors items.

A Japanese knock-off from the 70s is not "vintage." It's just "old." The fact that it's relatively well made doesn't change that, nor does the fact that it's relatively hard to find.

Does it play and/or sound *significantly* better than a relatively good Asian knock-off LP from today, such as an Agile (or an Epiphone, for that matter)?

If not, $50 sounds about right. Maybe $100, if its in outstanding condition. Anybody willing to pay more is doing so strictly on the classic "there's a bigger fool out there" speculation.

What made "lawsuit" guitars so popular at the time (I'm old enough to have been there) was that they were so cheap. Make them a not-so-great bargain, and you take away the main reason anyone would want one.

• Members

Does it have a bolt-on or set neck? Check for set.

Decent or cheesy tuners? Quality enclosed tuners are a good sign.

Lots of inlays and relatively upscale cosmetics?

Should have a maple top?

What kind of shape is the hardware in?Some 70s Ibanez and similar MIJ brand hardware is very susceptible to corrosion.

Hard Case?

Lotus guitars don't have tremendous reputation. Check it out, play it and see if it seems to be one of their better models. A set neck and decent hardware are a couple of better indicators.Sight unseen and over the internet comment is pretty speculative. If it has a good case and seems decent figure $150-200 ballpark if you like it. By the way, 11 lbs is pretty heavy but makes the hollow LP copy type rather unlikely .

• Members

I too am old enough to remember those Lotuses. My recollection is that they were far inferior to the bottom of the line Agile knockoff I've got now.

Especially of note are your comments "pre-lawsuit era." Even Ibanez didn't make good guitars "pre-lawsuit era."

• Members

I'm also old enough to remember Ibanez as "cheap crap from Japan". Lotus was/is much worst. They were crap then and I'm willing to bet that the same guitars are crap now. In this case age does not equal quality.

• Members

Does it have a bolt-on or set neck? Check for set.

Decent or cheesy tuners? Quality enclosed tuners are a good sign.

Lots of inlays and relatively upscale cosmetics?

Should have a maple top?

What kind of shape is the hardware in?Some 70s Ibanez and similar MIJ brand hardware is very susceptible to corrosion.

Hard Case?

Lotus guitars don't have tremendous reputation. Check it out, play it and see if it seems to be one of their better models. A set neck and decent hardware are a couple of better indicators.Sight unseen and over the internet comment is pretty speculative. If it has a good case and seems decent figure $150-200 ballpark if you like it. By the way, 11 lbs is pretty heavy but makes the hollow LP copy type rather unlikely .

:cop:(imo)This post pretty much covers it. Good stuff:thu:

• Members

I'm also old enough to remember Ibanez as "cheap crap from Japan". Lotus was/is much worst. They were crap then and I'm willing to bet that the same guitars are crap now. In this case age does not equal quality.

Yep. Generally speaking, crap does not age well.

I'm aware that there are folks paying astronomical prices for 1970's Fenders, but in general, crap does not age well.

• Members

I'm old enough to remember and have played a lot of Lotus stuff. Lotus was generally on the crappy end of the scale.

I'd say $75 if it's in great shape, and be prepared to do or pay to have a good set-up. As someone mentioned, cheap does not age well.

On the other hand, if you want to forego the set-up, just jack up the strings and you could have a cheap guitar to learn slide guitar on.

• Members

Buy it and hang it on your wall-I'm not being obnoxious- I have an old memphis explorer knock off in black with a metal pickguard I got for like 75$- It looks cool- it plays like CRAP- It hangs on the wall with some records, tour posters, concert tickets etc above a diner booth in my kitchen ( I have a really tolerant wife) People love it and it was less than a good framed art print-

• Members

+1 to being old enough to remember how crappy Lotus was... they were akin to today's First Act (the ones at Wal-Mart, not the CS ones).

Some were playable, but most were horrendous. If it's in decent enough shape, has quality components/ woods, & isn't a bolt-neck, I might offer $75-100 for it.

As another poster already pointed out, you're probably better off with an Agile.

• Members

Buy it and hang it on your wall-I'm not being obnoxious- I have an old memphis explorer knock off in black with a metal pickguard I got for like 75$- It looks cool- it plays like CRAP- It hangs on the wall with some records, tour posters, concert tickets etc above a diner booth in my kitchen ( I have a really tolerant wife) People love it and it was less than a good framed art print-

I hear ya. I've got my old Aria hanging on the wall (sideways over the window) in my office:

artsm.jpg

My wife is VERY tolerant as well... I don't think she'd take kindly to this spilling out into the kitchen, though ;) :

1437944169_06b1ef9acf.jpg

• Members

I was recently warned that the amount of bedroom space I have taken currently is close to my allotment- It went something like any thing new or things on the walls need to involve something that isn't a guitar or a guy with a guitar- so I bought an amp. :)

• Members

I was recently warned that the amount of bedroom space I have taken currently is close to my allotment- It went something like any thing new or things on the walls need to involve something that isn't a guitar or a guy with a guitar- so I bought an amp.
:)

:lol::lol:

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Actually the late 70's very early 80's Lotus guitars were some of the better ones. The Moridaira Japanese made Lotus guitars had a very good build quality. Later when production shifted to Korea and India the quality took a nose dive and the company folded in the late 90's. I just inherited a 79 or 80 Lotus Les Paul copy. Set neck (with the micro tilt) brass nut, good quality tuners, beautiful inlay work etc. The neck is solid and plays like a dream. It does have a small wiring issue (loose and possibly corroded wire/connection in the bridge pickup) and I need to replace one of the pickup rings and put a knob on the pickup selector switch and have the pots and coil selector switch cleaned and of course normal wear and tear you would expect from a 40 year old guitar. In the late 70's to very early 80's this model (depending on wood choice, inlays etc.) retailed for between 400-900 usd. With the inlays and equip. on mine I would guess it retailed towards the top end of that scale. Would this guitar compare to lets say a 59 custom Les Paul? Absolutely not. Is it a cheap piece of junk? Absolutely not. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I though they were made by Daimaru of Matsumoto Japan. Worth about $150.00 but usually sell for more because people think there is some mystique to claimed "lawsuit era" guitars even though there was no law suit, only a cease and desist letter from Gibson to Ibanez over their use of Gibson's headstock shape. It had nothing to do with any of the other makers as their guitars were not even in the same league as Ibanez through some will claim Greco was one of the better copies also.

Archived