fender amp guys

Leftovercrack

• Members

i posted this over in the amp forum but didnt really get any responses, so im looking to upgrade my fender hot rod deville to something that sounds better. im looking for another fender style amp and i really like the twin reverb but its a bit pricey for me. i was wondering what else i should be looking at. whats the deluxe reverb like? im a regular gigging musician (with a crazy heavy handed drummer) so im worried about maintaining head room. i rely on pedals for all my dirt aswell. and ive never played a vibrolux either im thinking 40 watts should be enough. oh and what are good prices for some of these amps used too

• Members

deluxe reverbs are 22watts and twins are 85watts. They are both about the same price. dual showmans are 85 watts also. You can get a twin RI for $800 or so used. I have a dual showman and a twin reverb RI and they have plenty of headroom.

• Members

I'd have to concur with the Twin. I have 2 1972s and I have a DRRI (I also have two Bassman heads a 1969 drip edge Silverface and a 1966 Blackface).
The Twin delivers the clean volume and that oomphy thump that is produced by 4 6L6s hammering away at two quality 12" speakers. No other amp quite like the Twin Reverb.

• Members

silverface Twin with no reverb can be a working amp ... REAL LOUD. i didn't think the clean was bad at low volumes. it was clean for christsakes. that being said ....

one word - Mesa. drummer will need to hit the gym 8 hours a day and take steroids to keep up with you.

• Members

There are quite a few options actually, it all depends on what you comfort level is with used amps.

First, just to cover this base, the current Custom Vibrolux Reverb is not a good choice. They took what used to be a Vibroverb 2x10 RI (one of the first Fender RI's) and tweaked it into an overdrive machine...removed negative feedback loop, changed gain structure of the channels, etc. It's not built for clean headroom (it could be rewired for such).

You need to be in atleast the 40-watt range for clean with a drummer.

The Fender Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe do offer that signature Fender clean tone on their clean channel, it's the OD channels people have never been huge fans of). But at 40 watts, they start to be worthwhile options, even better would be there 60-watt Deville counterparts.

The Twin Reverb is an excellent choice for clean, and nothing does Fender clean better. But it'll offer enough clean volume to play a concert hall, which may be more than you need.

The Super Reverb RI is 45-watts, loud, clean to a huge volume (and then it gets sweet and dirty) and drives a lot of air with 4x10" speakers. It's a great choice.

The SR had other counterparts in the old days. You can still find old Silverface Pro Reverbs for affordable prices these days (everyone is too busy buying up SF DR, SR, and TR's), it's a 45-watt, 2x12" combo that is very similar in output and tone compared tot he Super Reverb. But just know if you go this rout you should always budget it for replacing the filter caps and possibly even the old speakers when comparing prices. Amps all require maintenance and when you buy old, you can't assume the last guy took the time to maintain it.

The old SF Vibrolux Reverb is just slightly lower output than the Pro and Super and comes in a smaller 2x10" package.

Then there is the Allen option, Allen is a builder of boutique amps that are BF Fender based. New, the cost a little more than a Fender, but they are a bargain used, keep an eye out for a used Allen Old Flame or Encore and you can get them for as little as $800.

• Members

The deluxe reverb is louder than you think. It gets pretty dirty from volume 6-8. If you need clean headroom, try putting a mic on it. A Shure SM-57 is the all time classic guitar mic and it only runs around $100. If putting a mic on your amp is an option, get the deluxe reverb.

(I've played a few twin reverbs and they are LOUD!)

• Members

why is it too much for the bedroom? just asking cause i have one that i use in the house all the time with no problems? infact right now its my only amp and probably will be for a long time. it sounds great at low volumes. i absolutly love my super reverb and will never have a need for another amp.
zzzzczczczczc.jpg

Archived