What would you prefer: Fender Hot Rod Delux or a Vox AC15CC1?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Personally, I'd take the AC15. I love Fender amps with a passion bordering on the unnatural, but I'm not a fan of overdrive channels in general, and Fender overdrive channels in particular,

F'r'instance, if I was currently amp shopping (which I be not), I'd take a Blues Deluxe over a Hot Rod Deluxe in a New York minute.

(And a Vibrolux RI over either).

• Members

Honestly, I would look for a Traynor 40watt Custom in a 112. You could buy the same amp in a 210 also. I played both and the Bass response was much nicer on the 112. Used in Great shape for $400!

But I am also a HUGH fan of FENDER amps and have played them since my first Bandmaster/Reverb in 68. I have a TR and a BM still and also in my Avatar is a Blues Deluxe. I pulled the Eminence and put a Jensen C12N in it. I also do the same speaker change on Classic 30's. The Jensen and some JJ's make a big difference in HR Deluxe and ESPECIALLY in a Classic-30. The Blues is a little warmer sounding than the Hiot-Rod.

The Fender Clean on the Hot Rod deluxe is a good Fender clean. You'll find that there is a little emphisis on the Mids with the Deluxe. For single-coils thats not a bad thing. But with humbuckers I don't like it and prefer the DeVille's clean channell much more! The Deluxe Volume knob at around 5 is 95% of the total volume. At 3 its LOUD. Why Fender hasn't corrected this with a better pot after all these years is beyond me. Cost I am sure is the reason.

Hey I seen KWS Gig the Deluxe's? So don't for a second think that they can't be gigged. They are plenty loud for small clubs.

I've seen Robby Krieger [from the DOORs] gig 212 DeVilles with his SG.

But IMHO I would go a different route, and while I like the AC15, I wouldn't want it for my ONLY amp that i am using all the time. I would want a Fender clean, and if I couldn't afford the one I wanted. I would go with the Traynor. The have a GREAT 1 and 2 channell.

• Members

I would go with the Fender and stay off the drive channel. That's a good clean channel, and a good sound board for pedals. Actually, I don't think the drive's all that bad on the HRDs, at least it's highly efficient in cutting through a band - not a "pretty" sound, but it get's the job one.

• Members

Personally, I'd probably get a lot more use out of the Vox, but the Fender isn't a terrible amp, and probably a more versatile amp if you like the higher gain sounds in the Fender which I don't.

I have a buddy that gigs with a Hot Rod Deluxe and he get's great sounds out of it using just the drive in the amp, but when I sit in front of the same amp, the drive channel sounds like ass to me when the drive is on anything over about 3 or 4.

Edit - I just went to check pricing and Guitar Center online has some refurb AC15s for $479:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-Classic-AC15CC1-15w-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103635231-i1145854.gc

• Members

If you had $600 what would you buy? The Vox AC15CC1 (no celstion blue) or the used Fender Hot Rod Delux? The Fender is cheaper but you'd have money left over for a nice speaker upgrade...at the same time the Vox has reverb AND tremolo.

Depends on the use, the Vox is better suited for the home user for example, the Hot Rod has 40 watts, that thing is freakin loud!! Also, if your a big reverb guy you might want to try the Vox first, the Fender is much nicer. I have a Vox ac15 and I like it a lot, I upgraded the reverb tank and it still is not as nice as a Fender, it's usuable though, just not as "lush" sounding. The amp sounds great though and the Trem is actually kinda nice, I got mine used at GC for $499, can't go wrong with the Vox unless of coarse you need more horsepower

• Members

If it were me, I'd go Fender, forget the speaker up grade (at least for now) and retube down for better OD with a 12AY7 and a Volume control upgrade from a linear to an audio pot. But you're not me, so anything I tell you is up to you to follow through or not. Good luck.

• Members

How giggable is the DRRI after all it's only 22 watts and if i got a Fender it would be to mainly use the cleans out of it? So how well does it keep its cleans when you really need to use the amp at higher volumes in a small club?

I gigged for many years with a '66 Deluxe Reverb.

• Members

How giggable is the DRRI after all it's only 22 watts and if i got a Fender it would be to mainly use the cleans out of it? So how well does it keep its cleans when you really need to use the amp at higher volumes in a small club?

I've never compared them using an SPL meter, but the difference between a 22W amp and a 40W amp from the same company isn't a staggering, radical difference as long as they have the same speaker configuration and they are both tube amps.

Said another way, if you aren't into crazy gain, if the HRD will work for a gig, there's a 99% chance the DRRI will work for the same gig.

To my ears, the DRRI is literally radically better sounding. The drawback for me with the DRRI is the reverb channel isn't as warm as the regular channel so if I got a DRRI, I'd basically HAVE to mod it.

• Members

gig 212 DeVilles with his SG.

But IMHO I would go a different route, and while I like the AC15, I wouldn't want it for my ONLY amp that i am using all the time. I would want a Fender clean, and if I couldn't afford the one I wanted. I would go with the Traynor. The have a GREAT 1 and 2 channell.

My only problem with the Traynor amps I've seen is the tube sockets attached to the PC Board, I really don't like that kind of engineering. Other than that I might have bought one, their a great sounding amp.

• Members

Only 22 watts? Have you heard a Deluxe in a gigging setting? They are pretty loud. As for your question, I'd probably switch to zylophone before playing through a stock HR. I could live with the AC15.

Archived