What are the advantages/disadvantages of a stack compared to a combo amp?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm curious what the differences are...other then yes one is a stack and one is an amp. For example an ACC30 combo and an ACC30 head with a 2x12 stack and other examples too the Little Giant 5w stack to the Little Giant 5w combo. Assuming you're using the matching cabinet what is the tonal difference in a stack and a combo? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

advantages for stack:

separate pieces are often easier to carry than a heavy combo

combos can vibrate from the frequencies produced by your speaker, this makes your tubes rattle, sometimes they can go microphonic faster, other times its just an annoyance... stacks wont have that problem as the cab and amp are separated

you can play with your sound more with stacks, experiment with different speaker combinations, as well as closed and open back cabs, for combos, you are usually stuck with open back cabs if thats what you get (not a good idea to close it up because it will overheat)

advantages of combos:

its a neat small package, this makes it fairly convenient in terms of space, and portability if its a small combo....

• Members

Stacks have volume and projection.

Combo's have tone.

It's hard to crank either...but it's easier to crank a combo.

I'm not critisizing, but explain the combo's having tone part. I personally only own and play combos at the moment. Are you saying there is a tonal advantage to combos?

• Members

I'm not critisizing, but explain the combo's having tone part. I personally only own and play combos at the moment. Are you saying there is a tonal advantage to combos?

USUALLY, combos have lower wattage than their head counterpart. Meaning you can crank the combo and get poweramp breakup.

That is what I mean by better tone.

• Members

well when you have the amp, and the speakers in separate enclosures you lose the tone, its really that simple..... whats not to get:idk:

• Members

the only real problem I have encountered with combos in my time has been excessive vibration and microphonic tubes as a result..... not a problem for low volume players, but once you get above conversation volume, it gets annoying...

Better tubes? :confused:

• Members

Better tubes?
:confused:

its not always the tubes, its different parts of the amp that vibrate too..... not a problem for the sturdier built amps, say Boogies and upwards in the boutique market.... but for the more budget oriented tube amps, I have found it to be a problem (those are mostly what the OP was refering to I gather)

• Members

I think it is a lot easier to sit on MOST combos and play, whereas you probably have to stand up and play with a STACK. That means you get better Metal poses, but can't look as laid back when playing the blues. You need a chair if you're BBKing or something.

• Members

I own both.

Advantages :

Combo -

Easy to carry, easy to pack, some can get pretty loud

Stack -

Awsome and impressive looking to the audience, generally really loud for big venues

Disadvantages :

Combo -

Not as impressive looking or as loud as a stack

Stack -

Frickin heavy, takes lots of muscle to move, takes a bigger vehicle to transport, usually too loud in the hands of newbies

FWIW. YMMV. :cool:

• Members

Yeah...Bassman's/Bluesbreakers/Deluxes don't have tone.

I'm not gonna argue any more...I'm not trying to argue.

Sorry, I didn't mean to set that off. I wonder what the difference would be between the same amp, speakers and cab size in a combo format and a stack format. Just curious.

I have dealt with the downfalls of combos for sure. Microphonic tubes, rattles, and other strange noises due to vibration, but have never taken the effort to take out the chassis to see if what it would sound like seperated. I know how to effectively fix the issues when they arrise, but its still a pain when it does happen.

Archived