Fake Fenders

intothevoid

• Members

I've wondered the same thing. Don't know if maybe it has anything to do with the facts that a strat can be easily taken apart and examined more closely than a neck through, thus making it a little more difficult to pass off. Les Pauls sell for a good chunk of change so when they make them and sell them they make more money. As for strats you have MIM, MIA, etc that all vary, as a result people are more cautious with strats because we know the parts interchange and just because someone says that it is MIA doesn't necessarily mean it is, as the neck could have been changed, etc.

IMO for a counterfeit to make money they would have to go for the custom shop version and in many of those cases a close examination would make it difficult to use crappy woods, (ie: clear finish, figured maple necks, etc. If they had to invest in those woods to pull off the scam they would cut into profit.

I don't know if any of this is right or not but they are some of the things I have thought about.

• Members

I've wondered the same thing. Don't know if maybe it has anything to do with the facts that a strat can be easily taken apart and examined more closely than a neck through, thus making it a little more difficult to pass off. Les Pauls sell for a good chunk of change so when they make them and sell them they make more money. As for strats you have MIM, MIA, etc that all vary, as a result people are more cautious with strats because we know the parts interchange and just because someone says that it is MIA doesn't necessarily mean it is, as the neck could have been changed, etc.

IMO for a counterfeit to make money they would have to go for the custom shop version and in many of those cases a close examination would make it difficult to use crappy woods, (ie: clear finish, figured maple necks, etc. If they had to invest in those woods to pull off the scam they would cut into profit.

I don't know if any of this is right or not but they are some of the things I have thought about.

It's the same reason that you don't see couterfeit one dollar bills. If you going through the hassle.. do the one that will make the most $$.

• Members

I'm guessing that there are a lot of guitars being sold as MIA Fenders that really aren't. All the parts are readily available on the internet, right down to the Fender Custom Shop decals. So for a few hundred $ you could slap together whatever signature, reissue, CS, or relic model you want that would bring nearly as much as a Standard LP.

I've bought quite a few cheap guitars online, but wouldn't consider putting down serious money unless I've personally seen the guitar.

• Members

I'm guessing that there are a lot of guitars being sold as MIA Fenders that really aren't. ...

I think this is the right answer.

Fender essentially make their own "fakes" at every price point so there is not as much demand and where it happens it is not as noticeable.

• Members

I remember back in the late 80's early 90's at the guitar shows...If you walked into a guitar show with a tweed case, you were mobbed by Asian buyers offering pretty much whatever you wanted for your vintage Fender. Then you'd see em on the payphones standing by stacks of tweed cases arranging shipping. Sad to say most of that stuff is gone and alot of what is floating around is fake.

• Members

I'm guessing that there are a lot of guitars being sold as MIA Fenders that really aren't. All the parts are readily available on the internet, right down to the Fender Custom Shop decals. So for a few hundred $ you could slap together whatever signature, reissue, CS, or relic model you want that would bring nearly as much as a Standard LP.

I've bought quite a few cheap guitars online, but wouldn't consider putting down serious money unless I've personally seen the guitar.

+1 Agreed.

I think there are truckloads of "fake" Fenders on the market. There are so many models, built in different countries and times that it's almost impossible to be sure.

Besides, there are perfect aftermarket parts built to original specs that it complicates things even more. Also, the construction is so basic it's very easy to copy... not to mention the decal that is available anywhere.

• Members

I got burned on Ebay by a guy trying to pass off a Fender Squier body and electronics bolted on to a Fender Standard neck. The problem was that the body wasn't a flat black but instead some kind of sparkle black that didn't look right. Sure enough it was a hunk of crap with a decent neck.

I wrote him asking for a refund. After a week of no action I finally filed a claim and he got all pissed about it and immediately refunded my money. The crappy thing is that I couldn't leave him bad feedback because he could just have easily busted my balls on the feedback too. So I left nothing, but I bet the sh*t stick is still on there. His name was some kind of number then the world "trains" like 123trains or some such. At least Ebay is cool enough to force a refund if you get screwed.

• Members

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but there's one major reason why there are so many more Gibby fakes- the stupid amounts of money LP's bring.

You'll RARELY see vintage Strat selling in the same 'stratosphere' [ sorry] as 50's era Les Pauls do. 50K ? Piece a cake . 75K ? All day long. I've personally seen a certain '59 Les Paul Standard selling for $210,000.00

And it sold.

• Members

Gibson is without a doubt the most common fake and comprises about 75% of the fake market.

With that said, they do make Epi's, Fender's, Ibanez's, Rick's, Gretsch's, and I even saw some Hofner copies not too long ago.

• Members

When I was working for a large, popular guitar store chain, we had a lot of concern about fake Fenders coming through. There were all kinds of fake Fenders being brought around or misrepresented Fenders, etc. People would do things like remove the electronics from an original vintage Fender and try to pass it off as all original, or they'd swap around necks and bodies or they would flat out make attempts at duplicating the originals, etc. Either way, there are a lot of fakes floating about.

Archived