Budget alternative to an SM57?

• Members

57's are pretty cheap to begin with..why not just get one and then you will always have it.

+1

The reason why the SM57 is so phenomenally popular is because it's considered to be a lot of mic for the money. They are fairly rugged, fairly accurate, and fairly affordable.

(Says the girl who uses a Sennheiser for her vocal mic and a cheap chinese POS on her cab...)

• Members

GLS Audio ES-57

I have one and it's fantastic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLS-Audio-ES-57-ES57-Pro-Mic-Instr-Microphone-P-37-206_W0QQitemZ220217537352QQcmdZViewItem

mic-es-57.jpg

+1 these are AWESOME mics. and not just at the price. they sound like they should be competing with the 57. they don't sound exactly like a 57, but not in a bad way at all. they have a lower tuned low mid region with less of a presence boost up top.

• Members

Maybe this is what pawn shops are still good for but,...used mic's have been slobbered and spit on by their previous owners and well,...that's gross! Mic's are a personal thing like toothbrushes.

If all you're going to do is mic your amp, fine!

But sing into it? Yuk!

I wouldn't want it near my face if it was used, old and grungy.

• Members

Maybe this is what pawn shops are still good for but,...used mic's have been slobbered and spit on by their previous owners and well,...that's gross! Mic's are a personal thing like toothbrushes.

If all you're going to do is mic your amp, fine!

But sing into it? Yuk!

I wouldn't want it near my face if it was used, old and grungy.

I can see your point, but if you feel that strongly about it, you probably couldn't play the clubs I've played in. We always had no option but to use house mics that everyone else used. It sucked but hey, what are you gonna do right?

Archived