Why is "Open Jam" a part of Harmony Central? What's the point of it's existence?

• Moderators

OJ is rarely boring or stuffy, not filled with angry, name-dropping pedants furiously splitting hairs over audio minutia, not stiffly civilized as this one sometimes is. It is a sandbox where (almost) anything can be built, then just as swiftly kicked down by the other unruly children as all look on and laugh. Sycophants are slapped down as quickly as they arise. It is a haven from the overly civilized discourse found here, it is everchanging and usually entertaining, if only in a slapstick way at times. It is alive, it is multifaceted, it is REAL.

Life shouldn't always be about gear, and music, and whose artistic cock is larger. It should, at times, be about fun and irreverance and whimsy and impudence. Yes, these things are allowed here also, but always with a box around them, a mandatory structure leaving only a few blanks not filled in; a coloring book vs a blank canvas, stay within the lines please.

That's why I am mostly there, no disrespect to here is implied nor should any be inferred.

:wave:

Terry D.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OJ is rarely boring or stuffy, not filled with angry, name-dropping pedants furiously splitting hairs over audio minutia, not stiffly civilized as this one sometimes is. It is a sandbox where (almost) anything can be built, then just as swiftly kicked down by the other unruly children as all look on and laugh. Sycophants are slapped down as quickly as they arise. It is a haven from the overly civilized discourse found here, it is everchanging and usually entertaining, if only in a slapstick way at times. It is alive, it is multifaceted, it is REAL.

I wouldn't go that far. I fell asleep and got a big knot on my forehead from the screen reading that {censored}. Potential doesn't equal reality. Real? Compared to what? Three people posting as two hundred multi-faceted characters is real? ;)

• Moderators

I wouldn't go that far. I fell asleep and got a big knot on my forehead from the screen reading that {censored}. Potential doesn't equal reality. Real? Compared to what? Three people posting as two hundred multi-faceted characters is real?
;)

Perhaps here is your cup of tea, then. :)

Terry D.

• Members

Life shouldn't always be about gear, and music, and whose artistic cock is larger. It should, at times, be about fun and irreverance and whimsy and impudence. Yes, these things are allowed here also, but always with a box around them, a mandatory structure leaving only a few blanks not filled in; a coloring book vs a blank canvas, stay within the lines please.

That's why I am mostly there, no disrespect to here is implied nor should any be inferred.

Terry D.

Oh. My. God.:o

It's Terry D.:o

Emmm, I'm Gammy... big fan!:love::o

• Members

OJ is rarely boring or stuffy, not filled with angry, name-dropping pedants furiously splitting hairs over audio minutia, not stiffly civilized as this one sometimes is. It is a sandbox where (almost) anything can be built, then just as swiftly kicked down by the other unruly children as all look on and laugh...... It is alive, it is multifaceted, it is REAL.

MrKnobs hits another Grand Slam.

Some of us enjoy a break from reading about how someone's recording are better than the next guy's because they record at 192/15800000 vs. whatever.

I've been at HC for over 5 years now. That stuff gets a little old after awhile. Sometimes we just wanna have fun and take a break from recording,etc. If we need to get serious, we can always drop into numerous HC forums and read what some copy/paste experts have to say about everything they know everything about.:love:

Some of whom have even been in the same room with some of the gear they wax poetic about. That impresses the hell outta me, I can tell you!:thu:

Not ,of course, that I would imply that anyone on this forum falls into that category.:) Gosh no.

Have A Nice Day. Come over and visit sometime.:wave:

• Members

As I've said before, what's so wrong with poo? It's a very useful substance. Can be used as a fertilzer, a fuel, as a building material, and for so many other things. Poo rawks.:thu:

Lemme aks you guys something. Don't you feel kind of stupid talking to a guy named WaterBong. It was the stupdiest screen name I could think of, and it's purpose was to help me blend into The OJ, but the problem is, I am way older than most of the kids there, and sometimes I get this "old guy" vibe from myself. For instance a kid started a thread the other day about the book SteppenWolf by Herman Hesse, and said yeah it was a book before a rock group like that was some kind of revelation, and he wasn't kidding, and I started to say "Uh yeah, I've read everything Herman Hesse ever wrote" but...what would be the point in that? Then...they might find out how smart I am, and shun me.:mad: I mean :D .

• Members

I wouldn't go that far. I fell asleep and got a big knot on my forehead from the screen reading that {censored}. Potential doesn't equal reality. Real? Compared to what? Three people posting as two hundred multi-faceted characters is real?
;)

hah :D .. the alt situation there is greatly overexaggerated.. :thu:

but yeah, OJ's great. it's a forum to shoot the {censored} with other musicians, that's all. we all have a common ground so it makes for good conversation. sure, there's plenty of stupid fads and running jokes (ie: poo), but not everyone takes part in that.. and those who don't are usually pretty damn cool guys. even some that do, are- even dispite that.

the other forums are good for when you want to find out something about equipment or discuss something specific about technique or something.. but as for just passing time at work and getting a break from reality, OJ is a perfect fit :cool:

• Members

I'm just curious as to Why "Open Jam" is part of Harmony Central. Just curious.

What's the meaning and reason the reason it exist.

Audioicon

You may ask yourself the same question about whole human kind, or simply watch the film "The Meaning Of Life" or ask your Guru

meaning-of-life.jpg

http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~jegi/Fun/meaning-of-life.jpg

• Members

Well, this forum isn't anything like that negative picture you painted. We just have taste. :D_~

And as anybody here will surely testify, have I ever been limited in my posting? Has anybody ever forced me into a "box" of any sort? Not me, man. I don't hang in no box. I endeavor to post the most bizarre ranting possible ...unless I'm answering some technical question, or waxing philosophical.

None the less, this box you see is a construct of your perception. These limits you perceive are manifestations of your obsession with poo.

Jason D. [secret triple agent OJ604]

• Moderators

You'll never see me participate in a poo thread, not my thing. Too childish for me. :o

I'm not going to sit here and type a list of criticisms for this forum, nor was what I wrote previously such a list. I have nothing against any forum here except possibly the political forum, which is so rage filled it's practically poisonous. Merely saying that the vibe is different here from OJ, which I would be incredulous if you didn't agree with.

You like blue, I like red. It's really as simple as that. The people here are largely more civilized and adult than the folks on OJ, and most of them know each other going way back. Leave them this comfortable place, or, if you choose to interact here, respect the vibe and post accordingly. That's what I try to do.

Freedom - it's a wonderful thing. :)

Terry D

• Members

I certainly agree with Terry on the political forum... when I first started posting regularly at MP, I was posting in the political forum because I was really cranked up over politics -- and at that time was perversely enjoying a "good" brawl... but, yeah, it did get toxic.

Eventually I ended up posting in Craig and Phil's forums and bumping into one of the guys who really got me jacked up (in a negative way) over at the political forum... but in the recording forums, it was clear he was a kind, patient, and helpful guy. And I thought... you know, I hate this guy's political personna -- but I kind of like the guy, himself.

And, after a while, it just became uncomfortable to tear into someone there who I rather liked here. So I stopped going there. (And now I spend all my political vitriol over in the politico-dog fight forum at MySpace :D )

• Members

Variety is the spice of life :idea: OJ is my HC home but I do post elsewhere too(particularly GJ). I know this thread wasn't started as an attack on OJ but it amazes me how many people judge it without participating it or even reading it regularly. Yes there is some crap to sift through, but the same could be said of any off-topic forum. Naysayers should post exclusively on OJ for a week, and if their opinion is still the same then fine, at least they have something to back up that opinion. I have never posted on here and rarely lurked, so I refuse to give an opinion on it, because I wouldn't know what I am talking about :)

• Members

;)

I always thought it was at least 4 or 5 real posters. :)

• Members

I think every group of forums should have at least one that doesn't have a purpose. How regimented do our lives need to be?

If you go to a school, there are a bunch of classrooms and lecture halls and auditoriums and so on. And then there's a common lawn area where people are throwing frisbees, chatting, sneaking hits of weed, trying to look up girls' skirts, and blowing off steam in ways that might not be appropriate in a classroom setting.

So, that's what OJ is. A happy lawn.

I don't post in OJ, but only because I have other happy lawns elsewhere. I see no reason why it shouldn't be here on Harmony Central, and plenty of reasons why it should.

• Members

I think every group of forums should have at least one that doesn't have a purpose. How regimented do our lives need to be?

If you go to a school, there are a bunch of classrooms and lecture halls and auditoriums and so on. And then there's a common lawn area where people are throwing frisbees, chatting, sneaking hits of weed, trying to look up girls' skirts, and blowing off steam in ways that might not be appropriate in a classroom setting.

I don't post in OJ, but only because I have other happy lawns elsewhere. I see no reason why it shouldn't be here on Harmony Central, and plenty of reasons why it should.

the lunatics are on teh grass. :mad:

• Members

Variety is the spice of life
:idea:
OJ is my HC home but I do post elsewhere too(particularly GJ). I know this thread wasn't started as an attack on OJ but it amazes me how many people judge it without participating it or even reading it regularly. Yes there is some crap to sift through, but the same could be said of any off-topic forum. Naysayers should post exclusively on OJ for a week, and if their opinion is still the same then fine, at least they have something to back up that opinion. I have never posted on here and rarely lurked, so I refuse to give an opinion on it, because I wouldn't know what I am talking about
:)

Well, I gotta say you OJ regulars do tend to have the best signature area quotes... :D

• Members

The old Mp3.com had a very elaborate BB structure yet the culture there was such that the "general" forum would frequently have five or ten posts in a minute but the genre and tech forums would have two or three a week.

I like the "college quad" analogy, btw... it's pretty apropos, seems to me.

Archived