Concert tickets - why is it legal for us to be ripped off?

• Members

I'd pay $1000 per seat to see the Police on the following conditions...

1) 1/2 money went to the charity of my choice (Juvenile Diabetes)

2) 3 Hours of music/play

3) 1000 seats in the round

4) Sting can sing. If not, he has to reschedule once his voice is healed up.

Ticket prices are crazy for the acts once they go 'big'. I am seeing Lucinda Williams Sunday, and I think the tix were $40.00 per, and I am in the 22nd row.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The prices being talked about here harked me back to the good old daze.

I paid $4.50 AUD to see Led Zeppelin in 1972.

Right here in Adelaide at Memorial Drive Park

LedZep_1_270.jpg

hehehe ....they spared no expense for the seating on stage eh?

The band was awesome!:thu:

Around the same time I went to see Leonard Bernstein

and the New York Philharmonic performing Stravinskys' FireBird Suite

and Tchaikovskys' 6th Symphony.. Path

• Members

Here in South Australia we have:

The Summary Offences (Ticket Scalping) Amendment Bill 2006:

Part of which states:

"A person must not sell, or offer for sale, a ticket for admittance to an

event to which this section applies at a price which exceeds the

original ticket price by more than 10 per cent.

Maximum penalty: $5 000.

Expiation fee: $315."

• Members

4) Sting can sing. If not, he has to reschedule once his voice is healed up.

Yeah ..a band I was in in the late 70's, supported the Police at 3 shows around

Australia and Sting had all but lost his voice at the time.

There were some bad moments on stage when his voice just went all together,

he'd walk over to the side and a roadie would spray something down his throat

from an atomizer and ... somehow he kept going.

I remember at the time being blown away by his perseverance and courage.

• Members

Yea it sucks ... I want to go see Genesis, I paid $15 bucks the last time and today it's no tickets available for the face value price, if there are their crappy seats ... but there are seats available for $2,500 each !!!! Plently of $1,000 seats too. They've only anounced about 15 shows in the USA, the nearest one to me is Washington DC .. I've never been and thought wow that might be fun to spend a day in DC sight seeing then go to the concert. Maybe I'll just go buy a BIG Screen TV and get the DVD and still come out ahead.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Well said everybody, but does anyone remember when it got REALLY crazy? IIRC, it's when the Eagles did their ''Hell Freezes Over'' tour. I can remember that the most inexpensive seats were going for 75 bucks a pop face value. This was in the days when most seats were going for well under 30 bucks, and the best seats could be had with a little camping out effort. One thing I remember well was the radio jocks up here in the Boston market proclaiming it the ''Greed Tour''. I never went to that show. Scalpers were getting 500 for the first 4 rows, and even nosebleed seats couldn't be touched for under 150.

Here's something else to think about. Clear Channel owns or has interests in a huge number of radio stations AND venues here in the states. I know most of us don't give a {censored} about Rolling Stone, but I found this article to be an interesting add to our discussion.: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6432174/inside_clear_channel

• Members

Ticketmaster is a monopoly that somehow manages to escape the the eyes of those who should be preventing this. Perhaps that's who is sitting in all the good seats. Ticketmaster sells blocks of tix to scalping companies at a premium who then turn around and gouge the public who just want to see a show. If they still have tix the day of the show they get kicked back to tickemaster and they try to sell them at face value. Isn't it strange how great seats all of a sudden show up the day of a show.Hmmmmmm????

• Members

Ticketmaster is a monopoly that somehow manages to escape the the eyes of those who should be preventing this. Perhaps that's who is sitting in all the good seats. Ticketmaster sells blocks of tix to scalping companies at a premium who then turn around and gouge the public who just want to see a show. If they still have tix the day of the show they get kicked back to tickemaster and they try to sell them at face value. Isn't it strange how great seats all of a sudden show up the day of a show.Hmmmmmm????

While I'm no fan of Ticketmaster's "convenience" charge, they are not in cahoots with the scalpers. In fact, they are lobbying legislation in congress to stop all third party sales of tickets (if you read the proposed legislation, they want to charge resale fees based on a percentage of the resale value). The reason some shows have good seats available the day of the show are "holdback tickets" which are typically reserved by the artist for friends, VIP, fans, etc.

• Members

Somehow I think that the youth of today will be OK not getting in to see the Police. There is plenty of affordable live music around... when you hear about $1k for a ticket your internal lame alert should be going off. High school and even college kids of today were not even born yet when the Police were cool.

Sting is a staple on the PBS station here... you know that clip where he plays some wacky middle-eastern looking thing with 20 strings... I dubbed it a pretentitron if you catch my drift... they put him on after a concert of old soul acts where the youngest face in the audience looks to be about 60, wedged between that and the horrific women of Irish music thing, where they strap a pig on a surfboard and get her to screech in a Gaelic falsetto.

The Police, the Stones etc etc... it reminds me of Soviet state funerals where the body is on display in a glass case filled with inert gas.

• Members

I`ve been pretty pissed about this too for some time now. I just purchased tix to see Josh Rouse for next week at a local place where I grew up and I eneded up paying almost a $100 for two tickets and believe me, this place is a local place so you can imagine the sound. I also bought tix to hear and see The Fray at Jones Beach in June, those tix ran me almost $150.

The issue I have besides the lucrative prices are the add on costs.

EB

• Members
Sting is a staple on the PBS station here... you know that clip where he plays some wacky middle-eastern looking thing with 20 strings... I dubbed it a pretentitron if you catch my drift... they put him on after a concert of old soul acts where the youngest face in the audience looks to be about 60, wedged between that and the horrific women of Irish music thing, where they strap a pig on a surfboard and get her to screech in a Gaelic falsetto.

Hey at least they stopped flogging that "Roy Orbison in Black & White" thing for a little while! :deadhorse::D

But I get your drift. Like the Led Zeppelin for $4.50 thing up above. At that time, Led Zeppelin was a new thing, not an established classic. The Police might be reaching $300 per ticket, but stuff like the Killers is decidedly not. But in 20 years, if we're lucky, a band that has only two albums out in 2006 will be pulling in the kind of crowd that shells out for the Police today.

• Members

Not just bands like The Police, but bands I'd really want to see... I was at my keyboard the second Rush tickets went on sale, but it was already 30 rows back, way off to one side. I'd be willing to $75 to see Rush for sure, but not if you can barely even see them.

As a rule, I don't go to concerts without GA standing room in the front... those are the funnest.

And I've been to some great concerts for $5. Hell, Kayo Dot was one of the best concerts I've ever seen, and the band outnumbered the audience :p

• Members

Same problem over here. Thought you may be interested in THIS interview with a school kid who thinks this is the only way for him to make a decent income???!!!

You're at school you little {censored}, you shouldn't have a decent income!!!!!!!!!

Should send them back to sweeping chimneys!!!!! :mad:

• Members

It is without question a total bummer. I also question what it does to threaten live music. Obviously at the moment nothing because people buy the tickets. However we are adults. The current generation of kids, unless those have parents of fortunate means, don't go to concerts. I know my son, who is 17, has never been to a live concert simply because of the price. We wanted to catch rush in Va Beach, but the crappy seats are $75. Good seats are in the 1k range. Nope.

As for DVD's while, they present the performance, they don't give you the atmosphere and excitement. There is just something about being there. I cannot imaging not having gone to the concerts I did growing up. It helped shape what I do for a living. That whole aspect is gone from today. The other side of the coin that has not been brought up, is that the artists could change things and they are not. The concert promoter et al, only care about selling out and making their money. They are not concerned about who buys the tickets. The artist could force the hands of the promotion company to change the system. They could also lobby, like they did against napster, to change the laws. However it doesn't seem to be a big deal to them. That is why I thing that Todd Rungren might have the right idea. I don't know if he still does this, but he was for a time offering subscriptions to his music. You then could download things as he produce them. I do not think that concert tickets were part of this subscription, but image if it did. The artist would benefit, the concert promoter would sell out, tickets would be affordable, and you could chose the artist you want to be subscribe to. Things are not simple anymore. Bummer.

• Members

I am seeing Lucinda Williams Sunday, and I think the tix were $40.00 per, and I am in the 22nd row.

You will enjoy; saw her in Asheville at the Thomas Wolffe Auditorium... great little band behind her. Guitar player is incredible... very tasty stuff...

• Members

I guess I solve that problem by ONLY going to smaller venue shows, where standing in a small line for 5 mins and getting a great ticket are pretty standard.

I don't go to arena shows, it's always small clubs, or small to large theaters for me. and can't think of anyone I'd pay to see in an arena really. Even my last Prince show was at the Atl Civic Center.

• Members

You were right...tasty stuff..I was shocked by a few things...

1) She is TEENSY WEENSY.....Like 5 foot nothing.
2) Her voice is HUGE, which doesn't come across n recording as being such. It sounds as if she is on the end of her range, but then , the turbo kicks in...
3) The wait between the unbilled opening act (Carrie Rodregiuz) and her was WAAAAY too long...something liek 45 minutes..
4) Set was too short...
5)Guitar player was amazing (Doug Pettibone)
6) Songs were VERY light on Essence, her strongest cd imho, and a little light on the new one ( which I could take or leave)

Overall, very pleased.....I love seeing great artists in small venues...

• Members

You will enjoy; saw her in Asheville at the Thomas Wolffe Auditorium... great little band behind her. Guitar player is incredible... very tasty stuff...

ha! you were in my hood. seeing ween there in a week [for FREE]. i saw a pic of her in the mountainx... thats one ugly chick.

• Members
. i saw a pic of her in the mountainx... thats one ugly chick.

Well, I for one, think she still has a sexy vibe, and she is in her mid 50's.....I bet if she came up to you, pushed you back against the wall and planted one on you, you would at least feel it flutter..:p...Articulate, passionate, talented women are attractive, period...

Archived