Concert tickets - why is it legal for us to be ripped off?

• Members

TicketMaster says re-seller agencies use software tool to bypass security measures and stockpile tickets

A series of lawsuits filed by Ticketmaster LLC is shedding light on one of the biggest mysteries surrounding ticket resellers: Where do they get their tickets?

According to the lawsuits, the resellers buy tickets straight from Ticketmaster using sophisticated software that lets them bypass security measures and make rapid-fire purchases using multiple credit cards and e-mail addresses.

A suit filed in US District Court in Los Angeles accuses four Massachusetts residents of illegally buying more than 45,000 tickets on Ticketmaster.com since early 2003 and then reselling them at a profit.

Similar suits have been filed against resellers in Illinois and Texas and officials with RMG Technologies Inc. of Steubenville, Ohio. RMG allegedly orchestrated the ticket purchases using automated devices that allowed users to sidestep Ticketmaster security measures and ticket purchase limits, according to the lawsuit.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These days, if I want to see a concert, I buy the DVD. Less expensive, no parking issues, rewind, better audio...

It's much more effective if you are there to share in the exchange and expression of emotional energies.

I almost don't have an issue with the ticket price inflation. I wouldn't pay some of these figures, but isn't this just the free market working in favor of the artists?

The thing that pisses me off about ticket prices is the ticket(monopolist)master processing fees. This is a true rip off. They are nothing more than a punk middleman bag pincher. Why is it that most all entities relating to the music business follow the business models of drug dealers?

• Members

amplayer: The fact that middle men can routinely make more on the ticket than the combined total of everyone getting paid by the original ticket at face value is mind blowing.

See above post.

Menace: No mention of Ticketmaster? I bought $35 Toto tickets and had another $12 per ticket added on for 'convenience'!

The old convenience charge. And it wasn't even convenient.

wbcsound: While I'm no fan of Ticketmaster's "convenience" charge, they are not in cahoots with the scalpers.

Maybe not, but they seem to do the same thing. $12 a ticket convenience (processing charge) is criminal, imo.

That is like how my new employer has accounts with Huntington Bank. The payroll checks are cut by this bank. Go to this bank to cash this check and guess what? They charge you to cash it. Serious.

Archived