NGD Fender Tele Thinline (special edition)

Karma1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Teles with 1 meg pots, 7.25" radii, and small frets have been around for ages, and you see a lot of good players making great music with them.

People around here make it sound like those things are a major problem. They are not, but it's a personal preference thing.

Just because you can't make good music with these vintage features does not mean that other players have the same problem.

• Members

Teles with 1 meg pots, 7.25" radii, and small frets have been around for ages, and you see a lot of good players making great music with them.

People around here make it sound like those things are a major problem. They are not, but it's a personal preference thing.

I agree, it is a personal preference thing. Most of my guitars have larger or jumbo frets, so it was quite a different feeling to play this Thinline with the smaller "vintage frets". But I really like them a lot - I could definitely get used to them.

• Members

NewTele030sm.jpg
I've had it for about 2 months now and I love it. It looks great, is light as a feather and is a joy to play. I've got 6 Fender Telecasters and this one has some serious Tele Twang (more treble bite than my American Standard). Good luck with yours - you have great taste in guitars!
:thu:

Damn that's purdy. I've got one waiting for me at the store I teach at in natural! I traded/bought it off one of the kids that works there. I'm saving for a vacation in May but when I get back I'm going to pay it off and order up a new neck and some other goodies for it so I can slap it together. Can't wait!!

HNGD!

• Members

I get back I'm going to pay it off and order up a new neck and some other goodies for it so I can slap it together. Can't wait!!

HNGD!

You can order a new neck if you wish, but MIM Thinlines have unbelievably well made necks with flawless fretwork. Also, the hardware and pickups are top quality CTS/Switchcraft all made in USA.

I ordered a MIA bridge for mine, and I realized when it arrived that it was identical to the OEM bridge.

There is absolutely nothing on the Thinlines that needs upgrading, but I understand that the 7.25" radius may be an issue for some players. Mine bends just fine and I have the action low with 10--42's.

• Members

You can order a new neck if you wish, but MIM Thinlines have unbelievably well made necks with flawless fretwork. Also, the hardware and pickups are top quality CTS/Switchcraft all made in USA.

I ordered a MIA bridge for mine, and I realized when it arrived that it was identical to the OEM bridge.

There is absolutely nothing on the Thinlines that needs upgrading, but I understand that the 7.25" radius may be an issue for some players. Mine bends just fine and I have the action low with 10--42's.

I agree that there's nothing on the Thinline that "needs" upgrading, however, it's a matter of personal taste. I actually like the neck on it a lot.

Although I'll be swapping out the pickups for something quieter, like Noiseless or single space humbuckers. I could live with the stock pickups, but I enjoy customizing my guitars. I might also put locking tuners on it just for the ease of string changes.

• Members

My friend, that thing is BEAUTIFUL
:thu:

HNGD!

Thanks! I thought so too.

When I went into the music store I wasn't even in the market for a guitar, although I've been wanting a Thinline (esp. w/ a maple fingerboard) for a while. But when I saw that white one, it was love at first sight. Then I played it and it was pure lust. I tried it along with a Squire VM Thinline which I had been considering and was half the price, but there was no comparison - although the Squire was actually quite decent. I never saw a Tele Thinline in this color combination with a matching headstock, and found out that it was a factory limited edition. So if I wanted it I had to jump on it or risk losing it. I waited a day or two since I didn't want to be too impulsive, besides the fact that it was totally not in my budget at the moment. But I "had" to have it - I'm sure a lot of you know the feeling.

• Members

When I went into the music store I wasn't even in the market for a guitar, although I've been wanting a Thinline (esp. w/ a maple fingerboard) for a while. But when I saw that white one, it was love at first sight.

Even when I'm not in the market for a guitar, I'll sometimes go to my local guitar store, Alto Music, in Wappingers Falls, NY just to take a look at what's new. I remember seeing that white Tele Thinline and falling in love with it, but the timing wasn't right. A few months later, circumstances changed and I decided to get it......but, I was too late. They had one, but it had just been sold. Luckily for me, one of Alto's other stores had one and a few days later that beautiful white Tele Thinline was mine. I'm not changing a thing on this guitar - I love it just the way it is, and it is becoming one of my favorite guitars. It hasn't overtaken my Fender blueburst Tele Plus yet, but it's giving it some serious competition.

PlusandThinline.jpg

• Members

Even when I'm not in the market for a guitar, I'll sometimes go to my local guitar store, Alto Music, in Wappingers Falls, NY just to take a look at what's new. I remember seeing that white Tele Thinline and falling in love with it, but the timing wasn't right. A few months later, circumstances changed and I decided to get it......but, I was too late. They had one, but it had just been sold. Luckily for me, one of Alto's other stores had one and a few days later that beautiful white Tele Thinline was mine. I'm not changing a thing on this guitar - I love it just the way it is, and it is becoming one of my favorite guitars. It hasn't overtaken my Fender blueburst Tele Plus yet, but it's giving it some serious competition.

PlusandThinline.jpg

Wow - that blue Tele is awesome. One of the nicest looking Tele's I've ever seen- seriously. I love Tele's with white bindings. Also dig the three pickups. What do you have in the bridge - looks like a Lace Sensor. If so, how do you like it? I'm checking out replacement pickups for mine and I want something without the single coil hum. I have Lace Sensors in my Strat and like them a lot. Also what do you have in the middle? It looks to be a slightly different size than the one in the neck - a little fatter. How do you have your switching set up for the pickups?

You're lucky you got a second chance on that white one. There's not many that were made and they are not easy to find. Thanks for posting your pics.

• Members

Wow - that blue Tele is awesome. One of the nicest looking Tele's I've ever seen- seriously. I love Tele's with white bindings. Also dig the three pickups. What do you have in the bridge - looks like a Lace Sensor. If so, how do you like it? I'm checking out replacement pickups for mine and I want something without the single coil hum. I have Lace Sensors in my Strat and like them a lot. Also what do you have in the middle? It looks to be a slightly different size than the one in the neck - a little fatter. How do you have your switching set up for the pickups?

You're lucky you got a second chance on that white one. There's not many that were made and they are not easy to find. Thanks for posting your pics.

Yeah, that blue Tele Plus has been my #1 guitar since I bought it in '98. The Tele Plus has all Gold Lace Sensors, with the middle PU being a Strat Gold Lace Sensor. I liked this guitar so much, I also bought a Crimsonburst one. I didn't change the PU's on either, as I am very happy with the sound. The Gold Lace Sensors have more of a vintage sound (not quite the same bite as an American Standard Tele PU) and of course they are very quiet.

RedTelePlus08.jpg

The PU switching is a 5 way switching with an extra toggle switch that for the life of me, I really can't hear any change in the sound at all. There isn't a bad sound out of any of the PU selections - I usually use the Bridge PU, but also like the 2nd position, which is Bridge and Middle PU (Strat PU).

• Members

EDIT: I'm kidding. HNGD!!!!!

Actually, I bought my Tele in a music store. I don't have a camera so I posted the ebay pic because it was a photo of a similar guitar.

But thanks for your humor and good wishes.

• Members

Yeah, that blue Tele Plus has been my #1 guitar since I bought it in '98. The Tele Plus has all Gold Lace Sensors, with the middle PU being a Strat Gold Lace Sensor. I liked this guitar so much, I also bought a Crimsonburst one. I didn't change the PU's on either, as I am very happy with the sound. The Gold Lace Sensors have more of a vintage sound (not quite the same bite as an American Standard Tele PU) and of course they are very quiet.

RedTelePlus08.jpg
The PU switching is a 5 way switching with an extra toggle switch that for the life of me, I really can't hear any change in the sound at all. There isn't a bad sound out of any of the PU selections - I usually use the Bridge PU, but also like the 2nd position, which is Bridge and Middle PU (Strat PU).

Thanks for all the info - much appreciated.

That Crimsonburst Tele is a beauty also. Quite an arsenal of Tele's you've got there! My second Tele is a limited edition model that came with dual DiMarzio humbuckers in Aztec Gold with white bindings. It's a totally different sound than the Thinline.

• Members

Thanks for all the info - much appreciated.

That Crimsonburst Tele is a beauty also. Quite an arsenal of Tele's you've got there! My second Tele is a limited edition model that came with dual DiMarzio humbuckers in Aztec Gold with white bindings. It's a totally different sound than the Thinline.

I've seen the Aztec Gold Tele - very nice! I bought my 1st Tele in '94 (a Fender Tele Special, which I don't own anymore). Curently. I have 6 Fender Teles - the 2 Tele Pluses and the Thinline like yours and in ordeer below, a 90's Custom, an American Standard and an FMT Custom and can always be tempted to buy another. In my arsenal of guitars, there's always room for another Tele!:thu:

3RosewoodTeles.jpg

Archived