Can Rosewood necks be dressed? +NGD

Into Nation

• Members

I had no intentions of buying a guitar today, but this Schecter C-1 was on the rack, had a great price and very nice neck, sound (it has a coil splitter) and is NOT as orange as it looks, and the Abalone inlays are amazing. Anyway, it there anything that a rosewood neck can be dressed with to make it less 'sticky'? This guitar has a bit of that. My other guitar seems not to, but it is 30 years old or so. I am retiring the L6-S and hope this guy makes a good replacement.

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_7798.jpg

IMG_7794.jpg

• Members

Light spraying of guitar polish on back of neck, buff it off real good.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PolishMartin/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PolishClothM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AILC965/
Take off the strings, put a drop or less on each fret space, spread around with finger tip, let soak in for 15 minutes, wipe off excess with clean cloth.

Follow up with Fast Fret on new strings and after playing.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastFret

Free shipping - no minimum

Here's my C-1

Guitars004.jpg

• Members

Do you mean sticky as in "it feels gummy, like someone spilled Pepsi on it" or sticky as in not smooth, like textured? I've heard of people calling rosewood rough before, but never actually tacky.. I'd hit it with some Windex if it was actually tacky, then re-oil and polish..

• Members

Raven,

It is consistent over the entire neck. How is can be best felt is when bending a string. The part of your finger that contacts the fretboard sort of 'binds', moves slightly then stops in a staccato fashion. New to me like I said, but I think maybe some polish on it will to the trick... Thx.

• Members

Raven,

It is consistent over the entire neck. How is can be best felt is when bending a string. The part of your finger that contacts the fretboard sort of 'binds', moves slightly then stops in a staccato fashion. New to me like I said, but I think maybe some polish on it will to the trick... Thx.

The board looks rough.

Maybe polishing the frets a little would help as well.

• Members

I recently acquired a (new) Edwards LPC with ebony board and the board on that felt just as you describe with your Schecter. It went away after a bit of playing (just a couple of weeks), so I don't think you need do anything bar let nature take its course...

• Members

Try getting some super fine steel wool. The next time you change string, take them off completely and rub the wood with it. This will help get some of that grime off the wood and will polish the frets up at the same time. Then hit it with some kind of conditioner. I use Gerlitz Guitar Honey.

The only issue with this is you have to cover your pickups or they will attract little bits of steel wool. I usually cover the body of my guitar with a cloth or a towel first.

• Members

Your problem is probably mostly because of the more pourous texture and larger grain with rosewood compared to ebony, or maple etc.

Some boards are more pourous than others, so it is possible you have never ran into this on other rosewood boards.

The gaps between the fibers are larger, and form actual ridges that your fingers grip onto and it tends to stop them in place almost like grip tape, but of course, not as drastically, but the idea is the same.

The fact that it happens mostly when you are doing bends, is exactly as it should be, because you are going against the grain and your fingertips are catching on the ridges.

You can sand the top of the neck(without the frets in of course) and you might knock off the tops of the peaks of the fibers, but the valleys will still be there just due to the more pourous nature of rosewood.

You can never get rid of it unless you actuall fill the grain in with some sort of sealer, which I DO NOT reccomend, as most people like to leave rosewood natural.

Dressing the neck with lemon oil, or guitar dressing, and keeping it dressed will go a long way towards helping your problem.

It wont get rid of the ridges, but all you need is a tiny bit of loob or silkiness to help your gingers glide more smoothly and a well dressed neck should mostly cure your problem.

I know alot of guys that wont even play with out spraying an absurd amount of Finger Ease on their boards and necks, and I also know people that cant stand it.

But you need a dressing of some sort, and of course, absolutely, you can and should be dressing a rosewood neck.

• Members

I recently acquired a (new) Edwards LPC with ebony board and the board on that felt just as you describe with your Schecter. It went away after a bit of playing (just a couple of weeks), so I don't think you need do anything bar let nature take its course...

It went away after a couple hours of play. I guess I didn't expect that given this was used, but it must not have been used much I suppose...

Archived