Fender Blues DeVille

cratz2

• Members

So... where does a 1993 4x10 Blues DeVille fit in in comparison to the Hot Rod DeVille? I'm mostly after a decent Fender clean, and in all honesty, I don't HATE the dirtier channel on the Blues DeVille/Hot Rod DeVille, but is the Blues DeVille appreciably different. This isn't a re-issue amp.

Ideas? Suggestions? $400 sound like a decent price? It's in kinda rough condition, but was just serviced and I kinda like the idea of it being in rough condition.

• Members

So... where does a 1993 4x10 Blues DeVille fit in in comparison to the Hot Rod DeVille? I'm mostly after a decent Fender clean, and in all honesty, I don't HATE the dirtier channel on the Blues DeVille/Hot Rod DeVille, but is the Blues DeVille appreciably different. This isn't a re-issue amp.

Ideas? Suggestions? $400 sound like a decent price? It's in kinda rough condition, but was just serviced and I kinda like the idea of it being in rough condition.

I saw that one. Looks beat to {censored}.

The Blues DeVille is a 410 and costs $950 if you were to buy one new today. The Hot Rod DeVille comes in two sizes. The 410 sells for $850 new and the 212 sells for $700 new.

Both 410 DeVille versions are rated at 60 watts but the Blues DeVille has a few more features and is geared toward the quintessential blues player. The Hot Rod series is geared more toward harder rock with 3 gain stages.

Personally, the Hot Rod series wouldn't be my first choice for heavy gain applications but Fender needs to cover all niches with their products or lose market share.

• Members

Back in the day - the Blues series was replaced by the hotrod series. The hot rod series added another gain button, and some of the electronics were slightly changed. The amps were still essentially very similar - though when you compared them back to back, you did hear some differences.

Both clean channels will sound very similar.

I had a Blues Deville 2x12, which I loved (but didn't trust the movers to transport cross country, so I sold it to a friend for cheap). They really sound great to me - warm. They certainly color your sound, that's for sure! But it does it in a way that I really like.

I haven't liked the Hotrod Deville very much - it sounded less warm to my ears - though still not bad.

• Members

I use an old Fender Blues Deville 2x12. Changed power tubes to SED 6L6, and since the old amps have no bias pot I also installed a such (I also swapped out the pre-tubes). Now the clean sound is the best I ever have had. The dirt channel is not to my liking, so I use a Boss OD3 for overdrive.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, it's not the ideal amp for my needs/wants, but I like the fact that it looks beat up and to be honest, I don't hate the clean tone on the Hot Rod Deville.

I think I'll hold off for a couple weeks and see if anyone else buys it. I would really prefer a little lower powered amp, but I'd really prefer a 1x12 or 2x12 to a 4x10 so we'll see what happens.

Doctor Morbius, did you see the black tolex Blues Jr with the reverb that doesn't work? Might be able to get that for a GREAT price. I can't imagine paying more than $200 or maybe $250 for it though. Get a better reverb tank and replace the speaker and that'd be pretty sweet for the price, but I'd prefer an amp with a bigger cabinet.

:idk:

• Members

Doctor Morbius, did you see the black tolex Blues Jr with the reverb that doesn't work? Might be able to get that for a GREAT price. I can't imagine paying more than $200 or maybe $250 for it though. Get a better reverb tank and replace the speaker and that'd be pretty sweet for the price, but I'd prefer an amp with a bigger cabinet.

:idk:

I saw it and thought $350 was a bit ambitious on his part. It could be a real easy fix though.

There's a 5-Star used Blues Jr. at our favorite GC listed for $300. Frankly, I think my Super Champ XD covers the Blues Jr. territory pretty well if not a little better. Lowbrow was over last night for a little while and spent some time with the SCXD. I think he liked it.

I PM'ed you about a 40 watt 112 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe at Sam Ash that was $430 a few weeks back. You should have looked into it. It sold pretty quickly.

• Members

$400 is a good price for a 4x10 usa blues DeVille, they go for more then that. I just picked one up a few weeks ago. The overdrive is usable if you dial it in right. I like the overdrive tones of the blues DeVille much more then the hotrod. The cleans are very nice and swapping in 12at7

Archived