Do you drive less in response to higher gas prices?

• Members

I definitely drive less. Up until gas price increases, I would not give a second thought to driving 35 miles into the city. Now, I don't do it unless I have to and I combine needed trips into one. And in the past two weeks, there was an article in the paper about people driving less.

It was just two or three years ago, gas was, say, $1.60.

So, if Americans are driving less, I suppose that is surpassed by the Chinese driving more, increasing overall demand. Or maybe it's all a conspiracy.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dive less .....I ride my motorcycle less. I do what i want to do ,, but i have cut back on my recreational use of gas. We need to build some new refineries... and drill for oil and natural gas along with developing no oil types of energy. We need to insact short term stop gaps while working on long term solutiions. Its not an over night solution... but more of a long term thing. cars have gone from 9 miles to the gallon to mid to high 20s. small trucks get over 20. We have made progress ...if you are 20 sumthing ,, you prolly havent noticed it, since you have only been driving a short while. rat

• Members

Gas here in CO is about 3.30/gal right now.

yes, I try to drive less. I try to ride my bike to work (bicycle, not motorcycle). I was contemplating buying a motorcycle, and more and more it seems like a decent decision. I mean, getting the same range as my Jeep, but with a 4 gal. tank is very tempting.

• Members

Hey, CO is a great place to ride (used to live n Ned and commute out by Gunbarrel -- of course those were harder core days -- OK pretty hardcore days)

Whew - good thing the Boulder Library is at the bottom of Canyon! it got me addicted to audiobooks

wouldnt trade the experience - a beautiful thing

I have no numbers I get the sense not too many 20-somethings are on this side of the forum world

we dont yell at each other enough ;)

• Members

Gas here in CO is about 3.30/gal right now.

yes, I try to drive less. I try to ride my bike to work (bicycle, not motorcycle). I was contemplating buying a motorcycle, and more and more it seems like a decent decision. I mean, getting the same range as my Jeep, but with a 4 gal. tank is very tempting.

Motorcycles are fun ,, but i question if the savings are that huge. I get a 40 + mpg but I also go though a rear tire in 10,000 miles and a front one in 20 sum thousand miles. You have an extra insurance bill. Bike tires are expensive and unless you want to install them yourselves you are going to have some labor. I change the oil and filter every 2000 miles , and trans and primary every 4 thousand miles ,, I do that myself. It all adds up, I ride it because its fun .. i may fool myself into thinking i am saving money lol. rat

• Members

ugh I hear ya there -- used to do roadtrack and there we had to measure tire life in how many times you spun the bitches up to heat!!

[it was kind of neat b/c roadracing is really really smilar between bicycles and motorcycles - so I got drafted to moto )

even chumplies like me (I was never that good) you are looking at maybe 4-5 cycles

I gave i

the good guys 1-2 max

It's what eventually got me out -- the expense and consumption

A rush though, that's for sure

• Members

How come nobody ever talks about just changing the WAY they drive. When you see the light turn yellow a quarter mile ahead, take your foot off the gas. The red light will still be there when you arrive.

Cars still roll even if your foot isn't on one of the pedals.

• Members

I have definitely eased up some on my adventure cruising, but I haven't resorted to the strict adherence of driving only when necessary yet. Being able to break away and find some "ME" time preserves my sanity. Breaking away isn't walking next door or visiting a park located down the street; it's getting away from the city and chilling out with Mother Nature by myself.

Getting away from it all helps with the creative process and allows my mind to escape the burdens of everyday life. I meditate and I create; it's a very theraputic process. I write songs, I'm working on a novel, I do scenic landscape and wildlife photography, and sometimes I even pick up the oils and canvas and paint.... I can't do these things while STRESSING myself out about getting around to all of the things that need to be done on my never ending "things to do" list. I find myself NEEDING a "ME" day about every 2 to 3 weeks.

I used to do a LOT more driving on my days off while the kids were at school, and we'd all go out joy riding after school... I've always been a taxi for the kids and all their friends, but high gas prices have slowed down the taxi bit for sure. Rather than let my kids volunteer me for all the driving, I contacted the parents of the other kids and worked out arrangements to SHARE the love.... If I drive the kids "to" events, one of the other parents will pick them up and vice versa. If one parent does all the driving for one event, then another parent will do the deed the next time around.

Actually, in a way, the gas price hike has benefitted me in some ways... I'm not as EASY as I used to be. :D It feels good not to be a slave to my kids. :thu:

• Members

There's a pretty long list of ways to cut gas usage without cutting mileage:

- keep tires inflated

- don't goose the engine when the light turns green

- don't drive above 60mph (haha)

- stay out of stop/start traffic as much as possible

- keep engine tuned

- don't use the a/c as much or at least not as cold

- don't impatiently rev or creep at the red light

Stuff like that. I don't like to be a slave to all these little rules, but they do add up to uselessly burning gas and money nevertheless.

I prefer to just drive less. I enjoy driving more anyway when I'm not on the road everyday.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I just came back from Mexico, I filled up my thank in Waco Tx, @ $2.52 per gallon.....Why is that? when everybody else is between $2.92-$3.15?

:rolleyes:

Um, maybe because that's closer to the price of gasoline. The extra's all taxes. Here in NJ we have by far the lowest prices of all the neighboring states. But that's soon to end - our 'I can't (be) drive(n) 55' governor is talking bout raising the taxes on it.

• Members

May 2002:$1.09/gal

May 2007:$3.25/gal

that was here. it cost $58 to fill my wifes car today, it cost me $56 to fill mine yesterday. thats $114 about every 2 weeks. so $228/mo. compare that to $70 in 2002. plus, the cost of food is going up at the markets, clothes at the stores, all merchandise is going up... everything increases because of the gas prices.

and these oil companies are posting their biggest profits EVER.

must find time to work on that cold fusion device.

• Members

The economy is doing just great! America RULES!

so $228/mo. compare that to $70 in 2002. plus, the cost of food is going up at the markets, clothes at the stores, all merchandise is going up... everything increases because of the gas prices.

and these oil companies are posting their biggest profits EVER.

Why do you hate America?

• Members

We aren't just paying higher gas prices at the pump but in the supermarket and stores because the transportation of goods and services is climbing too. I believe this will all escalate as foreign competition for oil climbs and the remaining oil reserves are depleted. This time next year we may all fondly remember $3/gal gas and the year after that it may be double that and rising. Oil companies know this and they are raising prices as a way to reduce consumption and keep from having to invest in new refineries.

No matter what the government says, if we're not completely off petroleum within ten years then our country will go bankrupt.

• Members

How come nobody ever talks about just changing the WAY they drive. When you see the light turn yellow a quarter mile ahead, take your foot off the gas. The red light will still be there when you arrive.

Cars still roll even if your foot isn't on one of the pedals.

Yeah, I totally get it now cause this saves a lot over the course of a tankful!! It's a wonder more folks dont practice this.

I peep the light changing ahead, and my foot instantly leaves the pedal. Cars on both sides of me race by, killing themselves to be 1st at the redlight. I coast up to the light a few seconds later smiling. :wave:

• Members

I travel the same amount as a year ago, but use half the gas. Work is 21 miles away and girlfriend is 11 miles away - the rest is negotiable, but I tend to avoid unnecessary driving.

I bought a car - a Toyota Yaris - that uses half the gas as my last one.

Yup, me too, except I bought a Scion XB (the ugly little square van thingy).

I just went to St. Louis yesterday & came back today (about 13 hours round trip), and it cost me like $50 for the 700 or so total miles. I got 37.5 mpg, including about a half an hour sitting in traffic jams (I got pretty lucky there... St. Louis freeway jamups are a bit of a bitch!).

• Members

Yeah, I totally get it now cause this saves a lot over the course of a tankful!! It's a wonder more folks dont practice this.

I peep the light changing ahead, and my foot instantly leaves the pedal. Cars on both sides of me race by, killing themselves to be 1st at the redlight. I coast up to the light a few seconds later smiling.
:wave:

Not only is this easier on gas, but it's also easier on you (stresswise) and on your vehicle (brakes last longer, engine lasts longer).

If you get good at it, you can time it so the light turns green and the people who raced around you to get there first have enough time to start moving, so you don't have to slow down at all.

It's all about conservation of momentum - - any time you have to slow down you are dumping momentum, which will need more gas burning to regain. And any time you have to speed up, of course, that is burning gas to regain momentum.

• Members

We aren't just paying higher gas prices at the pump but in the supermarket and stores because the transportation of goods and services is climbing too. I believe this will all escalate as foreign competition for oil climbs and the remaining oil reserves are depleted. This time next year we may all fondly remember $3/gal gas and the year after that it may be double that and rising. Oil companies know this and they are raising prices as a way to reduce consumption and keep from having to invest in new refineries.

No matter what the government says, if we're not completely off petroleum within ten years then our country will go bankrupt.

Hah! Bankruptcy will be the least of our problems! Food riots, starvation, martial law, mass imprisonments (the 12% of the populace in prison now will seem like a picnic). But enough prognostication - - it's sort of a waste of chi; no one who sees it would believe it anyway.

• Members

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5979

Basic FE:

1) Slow down, and never speed. The faster you travel the more the air resists your vehicle, and the more fuel your engine needs to use in order to keep moving forward at the same velocity (speed). There is a marked increase in air resistance above 55 MPH, and a drastic hit above 65 MPH.

2) Accelerate and brake slowly and steadily, avoiding jackrabbit starts and stops. No one ever got a trophy for getting to the next red light first or getting up to highway speed in the first 200m of an on-ramp, and you can't beat the timing of a stop sign. In the Yaris I try to never let my RPM get above 2,000 unless I need to merge quickly, in which case I allow for 2,200. The only time I get higher than that is on the climbing side of my mountain commute, as once you get into 6% and 7% grades it simply requires more fuel to keep moving.

3) Keep your tires inflated to at least the manufacturers recommendation, or as high as the maximum sidewall rating. This decreases rolling resistance.

4) Keep your vehicle properly tuned. A poorly-running engine will almost always burn more fuel. A failing exhaust system can create more back pressure, making the engine work harder. Etc.

5) Use the smallest, lightest vehicle for the job. In other words, don't take the Suburban to the grocery store if you have a passenger car available.

6) Get the junk out of the trunk. This goes for you as well as for the vehicle. The lighter the vehicle is the less fuel it takes to move it.

7) Run all your errands together, starting with the one furthest from your home. This will allow the engine to stay warm the whole time.

8) The shortest route isn't always the best one. Know the traffic and construction conditions.

9) When not in use remove the camper, bike rack, or any other addition that creates drag.

10) Never drive your vehicle hard before it warms up, and never idle it to warm it up. The Yaris offers a low coolant indicator light in the dash panel that let's you know when it is running in its least fuel efficient state. As for idling to warm it up, remember that you're getting exactly ZERO MPG while idling.

11) Never rev the engine. This accomplishes absolutely nothing but extra wear and tear on the engine for no reason and more fuel burned for no reason.

12) The realities of pumping fuel. The cost of fuel is generally somewhat arbitrary but is statistically higher near the weekend, so try to fuel up in the middle of the week. It is also more expensive around recognized holidays so try to fuel up early or wait the holiday out. Like most other fluids gasoline is more dense when cold, so filling up in the coolest part of the day will net you as much as 1% more fuel for your dollar. Never fill beyond the automatic shut-off as this dumps raw emissions straight into the atmosphere. When automatic shut-off occurs rotate the pump handle 180 degrees (upside down) for a few seconds so that the remaining fuel in the nozzle goes into your tank.

13) "The Myth of Torque", or "Why you don't need 200bhp to pick the kids up and get groceries". One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard is someone making fun of a Yaris owner for a lack of torque in the vehicle. We do not live on a race track or rally course and we do not get a trophy for getting home 3 seconds earlier than our neighbor. The Yaris climbs mountains, merges onto the highway and carries a proper weight load just fine, so there is no need for more torque than the stock engine and transmission offer.

more...

• Members

It's insane, and there's no reason for it other than gouging.

When I see this sort of thread I try really hard to hold my tongue, because I tend to be a bore on the subject. But there is just really a giant black hole of understanding about how oil & gas markets work. It's frightening to me because oil is really critical to our way of life, yet most people have little or no understanding of the oil business.

Chip, are you sure there's no reason for high gas prices other than gouging? What research have you done to come to this conclusion?

My car (2000 Toyota Celica) is rated at 28 mpg city - but I can get 33 mpg out of it with certain "tricks".

What sucks though, is that my yearly splurge - driving to Indianapolis for the United States Grand Prix (that's F1 racing, not NASCAR...), is going to kill me this year. I've gotten about 34+mpg doing it the past 2 years, but... I'm afraid this year.

In these two little paragraphs you say so much about our American culture and our relationship with the automobile. 28 MPG, and I know that you are giving this information to show that your car is reasonably fuel efficient.

The average fuel efficiency of a car being sold in France today is 46 miles per gallon.

You are complaining about high gas prices in between long driving trips to a spectacle centered around burning gas at a high rate. Do we have a supply problem or is maybe there a demand problem at work here as well?

The oil companies have record profits. It's destroying the economy. My own business is getting wrecked because I'm losing customers that used to routinely drive from 15+ miles away - who now can't afford to.

I'm trying to remember back around 2000, if you were making any posts about how rough things were for the oil business at the time. People were villifying Exxon for spills back when gas was $1 a gallon in some places. There seems to be a constant urge to bite the hand that feeds you when it comes to gasoline. Maybe if people were driving cars that were more efficient instead of driving clunkers for long trips to watch motor racing... again, are we talking about a supply problem, or a demand problem?

People never like to examine their own behavior....

It would seem to be a "national crisis" sort of thing - and it would seem the oil industry has the government tied into pushing non-electric "solutions", while raising prices arbitrarily.

I agree that many if not all of the alternatives currently being pushed are scams and boondoggles, but I do not agree that it is the oil companies behind these programs. For example, the ethanol program is supported by the farm lobby.

It's going to wreck our GDP (we won't see it, though - they'll continue to cook the books as per David Stockman).

I just want my car to hold out long enough that I can save up to get an electric car one day, and I hope prices in the mean time don't completely destroy my business (and the rest of the economy).

Oh well. "All Hail the Homeland!"....

Yes, the GDP will suffer, but why would oil companies want to torpedo the economy of their biggest customer?

The fact is that market forces are setting the price of gasoline. Gasoline is traded on international markets and the US imports about 1/3 of the gas it consumes. Furthermore we import 75% of the oil that we use to refine the remaining 2/3 of gasoline. This means that the whole world is paying more for gasoline and nation is bidding against nation. Explosive growth in demand from Asia and other developing nations is added to growing demand from the US- the result is increasing prices. Big oil does not set gasoline prices- if they did, they would not have allowed the glut and price crash of the 90's to have occured. Markets and demand are the part of the equation that you are not considering. That demand = your own behavior. And I mean the average American Chip, you just did a good job of sounding like him there for a second.

Archived