Gibson's guitar of the month...will they hold value ???

woodsmandan

• Members

Ok, I'll never buy one of those.

But I have a friend who is probably going to get a Gibson SG El-Diablo, that is part of this years guitar of the month thing. He believes they'll hold their value, as there are only 1000 made anyway. He asked me my opinion and I suggested that if a SG is what he wanted, and investment return was to be considered, that he buys a 70's SG standard, as they go for about the same money.

What do you guys think ? Gibson guitar of the month SG El-Diablo or 70's SG ? (as far as holding it's value)

• Members

I really don't think that any of these Guitar of the Week or Month programs are going to yield guitars that become super expensive. Maybe they'll hold their value a little better than their standard run counterparts because for some (keep in mind that at least with the GOTW models you can still buy some of the less-loved models new online), people who wanted them originally may not have been able to get one (due to the small supply) and pay more for it used. However, I think the goal of the program and what they succeeded in doing is making some different guitars (though some are not so different but that's an entirely separate topic) that have features that make them either more desireable lookswise (color changes) or playability wise(addition of a vibrado on my Explorer, for example). However, I do not believe that they will be serious investment pieces.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

There's no way of knowing for sure about the investment value of these guys. I've bought 2 GOMs and 6 GOWs as well. But I bought them because of the features that they came with. I've noticed that the QC is absolutely nothing special about them, even though they are limited production. So it will really depend upon whether the model is desirable down the road.

just got this one last Friday night

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01845.jpg

GOWs:

DSC01816.jpg

035.jpg

on the right

FireAutumnBursts.jpg

GOW.jpg

Better pic of the LP Studio w BFG

LPStudiowBFG003.jpg

Now of these, the SG Silverburst was around $1169 but folks were flipping them on ebay for $1800. I'd bet some of that fever has cooled off, but it's still probably one of the better buys. But I also bought most of these for a good chunk below street, except for maybe the LP w BFG which I got from the nonhaggling AMS.

• Members

Some series hold their value pretty well. Take the Voodoo for example. Little depreciation. I assume the same will be true for the GOWs and GOMs. Even if there might be some, like the lawn dart vee, that might remain slightly above its original price, my guess is that most will hover around 80% of the price they had when they came out.

• Members

The ones that are more unusual will probably hold value better than the ones that you need to be a real expert to identify as special. So some of the guitars that are just Les Pauls or SGs with a particular finish or pickup configuration might not end up worth more than any other Les Paul or SG, but some of them will probably end up being collectible.

The Reverse Flying V, if nothing else, has probably carved itself a niche in Gibson lore. It was sufficiently popular that Gibson re-issued it very quickly, at over double the price, which I think has simultaneously brought the prices up (a higher new price translates to a higher used price) but also maybe held it down (because they are still available new, albeit for more money). That run is supposedly also limited, so when it's gone, we'll see if they go up even more. I think they will always be collectible, moreso that the other GOW instruments. Some of the GOMs look like they might have some long-term collectibility too. One thing I do know is that I bought a Reverse Flying V, and I was able to sell it about 6 months later for a 30% profit, which is a pretty good return on investment. I didn't buy it to flip, and in fact I loved how it sounded, but I couldn't get used to the shape.

I also have a blue Les Paul Money Bass, which I didn't buy as an investment, but it's a pretty cool bass and I wouldn't be surprised if it at least holds its value. I think some dealers are still blowing them out; once they are finally gone from the dealers they might start to go up too, because I think they went pretty much under the radar.

One thing both of those models have going for them is, they are unique guitars, not variants of a well-known style. (Well, the Money bass is supposedly a Les Paul bass, but it doesn't look like one, having two cutaways and a contour on the body.)

• Members

To be perfectly honest, none of the Guitar of the Week or Months have appealed to me at all, the Gold top w/ bigsby looked nice and that BFG Studio is a much better idea than the awful BFGs with that finish that they're doing atm!!! other than that they look a bit pants.

the reverse flying V thing is weird

• Members

the reverse flying V thing is weird

Agreed, but yet that lawn dart was about the best investment of the bunch and they sold out very fast. I forget exactly what that one sold for, but then Gibson reissued them as a standard production run model for several hundred dollars more. But I noticed that Sweetwater recently had to drop the price of those, but they are still more expensive than the GOW version.

• Members

If I was looking for an investment,...I'd be looking for a mid 60's ES 335 for @ $6k

But it is interesting to ponder what unknowns of today will be worth bucks in the future. It's like you see the example of the guy on "Antique Road Show" who bought the '60s Jazzmaster and it's now worth a few grand, and the dealer's giving him that "now if you'd only bought a strat instead" speech. You just don't know which one's will take off on the current production runs, if indeed any.

Some of the signature models seem to do well though.

The 90's model Jimmy Page LP is one that gives me the "coulda woulda shoulda's"

• Members

I think most will go up in value. It's a safe bet if you buy a Gibson Standard, Classic or Custom anything and hold on to it for 10 years or better it will go up in value (assuming you didn't get hosed on the original price).

I've owned 13 Les Pauls over the years and sold all but 4. I made money on every single one. If you do your homework and grab one that's something special, like with an extra nice top, or super light weight you can make a bunch.

I think the Diablo is one that will go up in value over the years, but again, you're better off if you get a good deal (this means buying from somewhere other than MF or GC)

I also think the the LP Classic Customs like my Creme and GAS Man's silver burst will go up. Gibson released the black as a production model this year and MF is selling them for $2800. That's $900 more than I paid for mine 5 months ago. . .

89361603.jpg

• Members

I think most will go up in value. It's a safe bet if you buy a Gibson Standard, Classic or Custom anything and hold on to it for 10 years or better it will go up in value (assuming you didn't get hosed on the original price).

I think the Diablo is one that will go up in value over the years, but again, you're better off if you get a good deal (this means buying from somewhere other than MF or GC)

I also think the the LP Classic Customs like my Creme and GAS Man's silver burst will go up. Gibson released the black as a production model this year and MF is selling them for $2800. That's $900 more than I paid for mine 5 months ago. . .

Yeah, I picked up that Diablo for $1650 and the CC Silverburst for just under $2K and the CC-P-90 for about $2.1K. So I'm not too deep into them. The Supreme was one of my better discounts at around $2.2 IIRC. Supremes sell for over $3K

So right now, I could probably get my money back on some of them, but no gain, since they are now used or in my case "previously owned" ;) ,but they may go up with time. I'm counting on it so I can sell them off to buy my gruel in my happy toothless retirement years. :lol:

• Members

Out of all of Gas Man's beauties, that little black LP with the gold hardware and dual P-90s is my favorite by a country mile. And I don't even like black guitars! Scha - weeeet!

Thanks, but oddly enough, that's one of the GOW models that didn't move that quickly.

MF still has some (or one :confused:) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Custom-Electric-Guitar-with-P90-Pickups?sku=514568

They've had some pretty good price on them for a while, but then they've rasied them back up again. MF likes to yo-yo the prices. Sell off a few low, then bounce the price back up for remaining stock. Kind of like fishing on the tides.

• Members

hang on...

gas man must be very rich!
:p

GAS cured any chance of me coming any where near rich. And I actually keep telling myself, "this is it". But then the demons creep in the night and tempt me. But I usually just use free financing and pay them off over 12 months.

But I've got less $ in guitars than some folks have in their German car, and the guitars have better resale.

• Members

Not as an investment, but I was looking for a nice V and found this for under a grand.

84reissueV_800.jpg

I'm very happy with it and plan on playing it not looking at it.

I love the neck and the pickups. The setup was surprisingly solid also!

• Members

Here's my only Guitar of the Week. Only problem with that neat pickguard inscription is it's just an etching filled with white paint which flecks/scrapes as a pick hits it. As soon as I noticed a little scratch in the paint there, I had Pickguardian make me a pickguard for it without the flowers but otherwise identical, 5-ply black and white. Now I can play the shit out of it and not have to worry! The original pickguard's in my parts drawer.

giblpn1.jpg

giblpn2.jpg

I got it because at the time it was only $50 more than a Special Faded (now it's $50 less) and you get an ebony fretboard, hardshell case, and white finish out of the deal. Plus, it's just a satin/faded finish, not the worn one with the artificial damage marks they put on the faded specials.

It seems to be fairly desirable as far as guitars of the week go because it's unique and Gibson currently doesn't sell anything quite like it. I've never seen one sell for less than they originally sold for, and I check 'em on eBay now and then just to be sure. There's one up for $615 but it ends in 6 days.

• Members

Here's my only Guitar of the Week. Only problem with that neat pickguard inscription is it's just an etching filled with white paint which flecks/scrapes as a pick hits it. As soon as I noticed a little scratch in the paint there, I had Pickguardian make me a pickguard for it without the flowers but otherwise identical, 5-ply black and white. Now I can play the {censored} out of it and not have to worry! The original pickguard's in my parts drawer.

I have it as well and love it dearly. I am intrigued by the replacement pickguard idea. How much did you pay?

• Members

I have it as well and love it dearly. I am intrigued by the replacement pickguard idea. How much did you pay?

I think it was $30 + shipping. The 5-ply material isn't listed on his website, but he has it if you specifically request it in an email.

Archived