Gibson's guitar of the month...will they hold value ???

woodsmandan

• Members

Well, while we're taking an opportunity to post our GOTWs also... this is my only one. I haven't seen too many selling on ebay but those that I have seen have been around the new price. GOTW #43 - I got it because it has the ebony board, the vibrado and the 57 pups. If I had gotten a standard Explorer I would have gotten the natural color (this is transparent amber so somewhat different there too), swapped out the pups for burstbuckers or 57s with pup covers, and put on a bigsby. This way I saved a lot of money and got some extras that I wouldn't have been able to get (i.e. ebony board).

P1020903-1.jpg

P1020828.jpg

• Members

This way I saved a lot of money and got some extras that I wouldn't have been able to get (i.e. ebony board).

Gorgeous Guitar.

I love the ebony board that some of these come with. My V has that too.

BTW, am i the only one that actually plays their reissue? I was surprised at the 'Why' comment, I thought most people would get the most enjoyment by playing it.

• Members

Well hell I'll join in. I just pulled the trigger on the week 48 RD, should be here tomorrow or the next day. here's a pic from Sweetwater. (ya gotta love pics of your guitar even before you get it)

034970667-front-l.jpg

• Members

(ya gotta love pics of your guitar even before you get it)

yeah, I do. 3 of my GOW/Ms came from Sweetwater and couple other guitars before that. It's nice to be able to look at the grain and also you can see differences in the lines of the burst finish paint jobs as well. Like how wide or in close the burst pattern was sprayed. And whether or not it's aligned evenly on either side with respect to pickup rings or other such symmetrical markers.

^^^ I'll be real curious what you think of that guitar. Even though they've been one of the slower movers of the GOWs, I have a hunch they might end up being one of the more collectible models. Just more unique than the average Gibby.

I'm also major curious about those uber hot Dirty Fingers pups.

Hope you like it.

Did you work them on the price a bit?

• Members

BTW, am i the only one that actually plays their reissue? I was surprised at the 'Why' comment, I thought most people would get the most enjoyment by playing it.

T'is just that I like to play them but I look at them a lot so I would enjoy playing and looking at this particular guitar. To me it almost sounded like it was meant it was not a very pretty guitar as well ... personally I like it a lot. If I did not already have three GOWs and just gotten a Goddess, I might have pulled the trigger on that one ...

• Members

There's no way of knowing for sure about the investment value of these guys. I've bought 2 GOMs and 6 GOWs as well. But I bought them because of the features that they came with. I've noticed that the QC is absolutely nothing special about them, even though they are limited production. So it will really depend upon whether the model is desirable down the road.

just got this one last Friday night

DSC01857.jpg
DSC01845.jpg

GOWs:

DSC01816.jpg
035.jpg
on the right

FireAutumnBursts.jpg
GOW.jpg
Better pic of the LP Studio w BFG

LPStudiowBFG003.jpg

Now of these, the SG Silverburst was around $1169 but folks were flipping them on ebay for $1800. I'd bet some of that fever has cooled off, but it's still probably one of the better buys. But I also bought most of these for a good chunk below street, except for maybe the LP w BFG which I got from the nonhaggling AMS.

That V is the most beautiful V I have ever seen.

You are one lucky prick.

Congrats.

• Members

That V is the most beautiful V I have ever seen.

You are one lucky prick.

Congrats.

Hey, thanks, but it's not "luck" it's callous irresponsible disregard for one's consumer debt driven by the psychosis we endearingly call GAS. ;)

Weird thing is, I'm 51, so I can almost do the math. Remaining days of expectancy of guitar playing /divided by number of guitars = number of days I can possibly play each guitar. :freak: Which simply means, some day not too long from now, I'll have to set a bunch of these free again to new happy hands.

• Members

I couldn't unload my GOW back when I needed the money for more than 75% of what I paid 6-7 months earlier. Who knows where it'll be a few years on?

My general rule of thumb is that "used" sells for 70% of current street price of "new". Give or take.

But ya know, guitars do wild {censored}. I bought my Gibson '61 RI SG for $1400 a couple years ago or so, now they're asking over $2,000 for them. So sometimes, and on some brands, the prices can jump pretty fast.. But I always try to get my guitars for less than street price (blowout deals, discounts, negotiations, etc) so that I can take some of the bite out of that initial 30% drop in value off the showroom floor.

Another example, Fall '06 Gibson LP Studios were selling everywhere on sale for $1K flat. A little earlier SG Standards were selling for $1050. So you can see some big and fast increases so if you time your buying, you can hedge your resale losses and maybe even make some gains with enough time. Trickier with the imports though. Less import models become collectible. Stuff like Japanese made Squiers are one exception that readily comes to mind.

• Members

T'is just that I like to play them but I look at them a lot so I would enjoy playing
and
looking at this particular guitar. To me it almost sounded like it was meant it was not a very pretty guitar as well ... personally I like it a lot. If I did not already have three GOWs and just gotten a Goddess, I might have pulled the trigger on that one ...

I surely didn't mean it wasn't pretty. I think these are the most aesthetically pleasing guitars I've ever seen. i know that playing it daily prolly isn't great for its resale value, but thats cool with me.

• Members

Gorgeous Guitar.

I love the ebony board that some of these come with. My V has that too.

Thanks! I play mine constantly!

• Members

I couldn't unload my GOW back when I needed the money for more than 75% of what I paid 6-7 months earlier. Who knows where it'll be a few years on?

Which one was it? I only keep my eye on the one I've invested in, and not one single Gibson Nashville Jr has sold on eBay for less than $800, their original price.

Archived