re-sharpening picks

ilovemystrat

• Members

I know how you feel. I can only use a normal pick for around 30 minutes before it's "used up" . that turns out to be pretty expensive around here, so I usually buy picks as many as I can at a time and ask them for a discount, they usually give it to me

• Members

I don't see how you guys are killing picks so fast. 3 years ago, I bought a 12 pack of the Dunlop Tortex in orange and I STILL have most of them and hardly any have the turtle worn off yet.. Then, about 6 months ago I started using Big Stubbies, which is a more normal type of plastic and more prone to wear.. I've yet to wear the sharp point off of one... I have a light touch I guess, but still.. You guys must beat the crap out of your strings (I've also not broken a string in at least a decade, probably longer)..

• Members

hmm raven, that is lucky. :thu: I think i play way too hard, but I'm getting better. I used to break a string every week at least, but I havn't broken one in about a year now.

I just feel I can't play unless I have a brand new pick. The edges have to be sharp and perfect, once they start getting worn down I can't get the accuracy i need

oh yeah.. and sorry I was an ass to you before

• Members

oh yeah.. and sorry I was an ass to you before

It's not a problem, I'm used to it. I have a very pointed "tone" to my posts I guess, and a lot of people take my attempts at humor or my sarcasm as some sort of direct personal assault with a deadly weapon, so they treat me like {censored} in return. I usually mean no harm, but it runs off a lot of people that would otherwise be quite nice to talk to. I honestly am not an ass, nor do I intend to sound like one, it just happens.. :rolleyes:

• Members

I have this rough edge on my desk and I rub the edge of the picks on it. Smoothes them up fairly well.

Mostly I get notches worn in the edges from tapping with the pick. So it kills two birds.

Archived