Michael Angelo Batio

EvanAgee

• Members

Yeah, it is a pretty proccessed sound but....

I could STILL hear EVERY note clear as a bell.

The effects are there just for "effect". They are not being used to "mask" anything.

some people, me included, actually like the use of effects for enhancing tone. Wow, immagine that!!

And considering he is an 80's style player that honed his style in the 80's, I would say that he didnt have any more effects than most other guitarists from that era.

Sounds like you are suggesting, correct me if I am wrong, that he couldnt play that well, fast, clearly withgout the use of effects, delay?

I am pretty sure that the use of effects are not enableing him to play any differntly than he can without them, and as far as masking anything, well, they simply....arent.

When I saw MAB at the clinic, he was actually talking about that video. According to him, he played the track pretty much dry, and the chorus/delay was added in by the production team who thought that it would make the track sound more impressive.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember first hearing/seeing this guy in the old REH video series with shredders like Tony MacAlpine, Paul Gilbert, Chris Impelliteri, etc.
It was such a thing to want to be like those Shrapnel guys back then.
We just watched him play and laughed uncontrollably at the way this guy ripped.
If not for him referencing Django Reinhardt, I might not have ever been turned on to one of my favorite musicians, and some of my favorite musical styles. Unfortunately all that shredder stuff was so short-lived except for a select few, and now it almost seems like the punch-line to a joke, but there was a time when these guys ruled. It's actually kind of a shame that technical proficiency and sincerity has taken a back seat (wayyyyyy back) to hipster disassociation and irony.

• Members

I have an old VHS copy of his Star Licks video lesson.

He's a superb technician, though his band Nitro's originals were pedestrian.

Not sure how musically effective all that technique is, either, though it's very impressive.

• Members

Twp best guitar players I respect:

1. Paul gilbert
2. Michael Angelo Batio

Why - did you really listen to his work? He broken down from minor, to major, to sus9, through dim7 and linked them so tightly together that you didn't even notice.

did you notice he was playing and entire classical piece along with arpeggiated chords. Totally intense and totally musical.

Oh and Yeah he railed the pentatonic scale throughout and never once did he have to sound like Clapton, SRV, or any other "same old guy".

As for Paul Gilbert - both of these guys are willing to give you insights into what they do and how they break chordings/phrasings down. they're great and I wish I have six weeks of uninterrupted training with these guys.

Why do widdlers always have names that sound like Italian ice cream salesmen?

scared-skeleton.gif

http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

• Members

Twp best guitar players I respect:

1. Paul gilbert

2. Michael Angelo Batio

Why - did you really listen to his work? He broken down from minor, to major, to sus9, through dim7 and linked them so tightly together that you didn't even notice.

did you notice he was playing and entire classical piece along with arpeggiated chords. Totally intense and totally musical.

Oh and Yeah he railed the pentatonic scale throughout and never once did he have to sound like Clapton, SRV, or any other "same old guy".

As for Paul Gilbert - both of these guys are willing to give you insights into what they do and how they break chordings/phrasings down. they're great and I wish I have six weeks of uninterrupted training with these guys.

it doesn't sound like someone opened up protools and starting jabbing on the keyboard to you? the speed and accuracy are amazing. but just like the world, perfection is boring.

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of shredders but MAB is really a fantastic player, if only a bit boring. It would be hard to name 10 players who could play faster than him. Whether or not he is musical or not is a topic up for debate that will almost always turn into someone saying he doesn't play with feel, which is a complete opinion.

• Members

Do you think he could play one slow song without introducing shred play?

I believe he's done so, although I think everything he does has at least some fast runs. That being said, while he does play lots of slow leads, I think it often lacks dynamics. Maybe it's the tone, but none of his slow solos have that great touch of Gilmour or May.

When I wanna listen to all-out shred, I sometimes put on an MAB tune, he always delivers the goods. "Prog", "Planet Gemini" and "The Finish Line" are great for pure speed.

• Members

Not much of a shred fan myself, but I'm digging MAB's playing. Much more interesting that what I heard from Malmsteen. Which of MAB's album(s) are worth buying?

Dude should get a haircut and maybe reinvent himself as a DiMeola-style New Age jazzer; would make more $$$

Archived