"The corner of shame"... or what gear do you regret buying?

AlexMC

• Members

A post on another topic said (in reference to a Digitech Bad Monkey):

"OK, I'll admit I wasn't that impressed with mine after I first got it and it sat in the corner of shame for a while."

I like that 'corner of shame' expression... I have a few bits of kit in the corner of my music room which I guess I wish I'd never bought:

- Bad Monkey pedal (I use a POD XT Live and no amp and rarely if ever plug the BM into the front of the XT)

- Shine semi-hollow guitar (it looked great and was at a bargain price but it doesn't have any 'stand out' tones hence is never played)

- Epiphone Special II (fancied a cheap LP-style guitar for GnR/Led Zep stuff but the pickups are horrible, the selector switch doesn't work too well and the neck isn't particularly nice). Played maybe 3 times in 2 years.

Anyone else?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really, to be honest. I always do a ridiculous amount of research before I buy a piece of gear (listen to clips, read reviews, agonize over specs, actually try it myself, etc.). As a result, it's very rare that I sell something or banish it to the corner of shame.

• Members

I tend to get rid of stuff if I don't bond with it after awhile. So I cycle through guitars pretty frequently, although the four I have now don't seem to want to leave me.

I'm still learning, and I bought a bunch of pedals that I never use, but I'm keeping them with the expectation that I'll use them later: Boss Blues Driver, Boss Chorus Factory, Danelectro compressor, etc.

• Members

Not really, to be honest. I always do a ridiculous amount of research before I buy a piece of gear (listen to clips, read reviews, agonize over specs, actually try it myself, etc.). As a result, it's very rare that I sell something or banish it to the corner of shame.

Yeah, no regrets so far.

• Members

None of my gear is for sale. Sure as I sell it there will come a day that I wish I had it back.

That being said... I guess it would be my old "Patents Applied For" Peavey T-60 guitar. Not that it is just "bad". It is everything that it's supposed to be. It is just heavy as hell and has a small neck profile. I just can't seem to develop chemistry with it. Except for string changes about once a year, it doesn't cost anything to hang on to. It just takes up space.

• Members

Right now I love everything I have but that is due to a ton of trading and buying and selling over the last two years to figure out what I really wanted. I did buy/trade for the following and didn't have them long:

Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSp head: Couldn't really get into either the clean or drive sound

Fender Hot Rod DeVille: Too much of a 1 trick pony

DiPinto Belvedere Standard semi-hollow: I really wanted to like it but it refused to grow on me.

• Members

Boss DS-1. It just doesn't good on any amp I have tried it on. It makes my tube amps sound like cheap solid state amps.

I never bonded with my Ibanez tube screamer either. I now have a FullDrive2 and an OCD and will probably never use the tube screamer again.

Max

• Members

All of my Boss pedals (BD-2, TU-2, OS-2, DF-2, PS-5, CS-3). They sound so artificial and they color my cleans. Also, my crybaby wah. I barely use it.

My Fender Jaguar HH I semi-sorta regret buying. I enjoyed the sound and feel, but not the lack of versatility, which surprised me because of all the switches and stuff. I ended up selling it at a 50 buck loss or so.

• Members

By far, the two biggest blunders.

Spider 15 "insane" tone has to be worst tone in history. I was in love with it for about 5 minutes, then realized how idiotic it sounded.

Special II didn't have awful tone, but then I got a decent LP clone and it revealed how subpar it really was. It also had totally {censored} tuners, then I really screwed up and put a duncan distortion in the bridge, which actually made the guitar sound worse.

• Members

Washburn WI-64D with EMGs- looked good on paper, but was totally muddy, and the practical lack of finsh turned me off.

Not to mention that I bought it (totally unknowingly) off ebay from the infamous Chad Dyer of the ZakkWylde.com/.357 Customs scam- bad, bad karma.

I sold it a month later for exactly what I paid for it.

• Members

1. Zoom 707 although I got my money worth by using it as a tuner and metronome.

2. Marshall Valvestate VS30R. Not bad for bedroom/apartment use but I think my similarly priced Laney LC15R is better.

I don't have a lot of gear :idk:

I regret buying lots of music books though, especially those that contain *gasp* tablature.

Archived