Summer Project? (Lots of Pics)

FUBTAG

• Members

Happy Friday everyone!

I took off today to extend my holiday weekend (will be going into the studio this afternoon..... woo hoo!) and took the opportunity to size up a 'project' I want to undertake.

First the backstory...

In 1983 or so, I worked all summer and saved my pennies and bought this

IbanezArtist.jpg

It is (was?) a great guitar but in my youthful ignorance (and the stores greed) I installed a Bowen Handle (trem system) and Bowen locking tuners. The problem with the Handle was that they had to widen the holes so the original posts wouldn't fit.. and I don't believe that I recieved them back way back then.. but what do I know.

headstockback.jpg

The bridge has been changed to something I found on a trip to Nashville, I believe that it is a Gibson stop bar. I also lost the back control cavity cover

bridgesaddle.jpg

bodyback.jpg

Sometime in the late 90's I gave it to my little brother to play.. and it seriously got banged up (I am sure I placed a few myself)

chip.jpg

buttchip.jpg

He had someone attempt to re-wire the guitar.. and it looks like this

ControlCavity.jpg

:mad:

So -- I was thinking of trying to refurb this guitar this summer. And Where else to turn but my buds here on the board to give me some opinions of the guitar, and some ideas to being the guitar back to life.

If you got this far -- thanks for the read! Hope to hear some good suggestions!! :wave::thu:

• Members

Those are great guitars! My friend and bandmate in junior high school had that exact guitar, very sweet. You don't see them around too much anymore and the newer remakes of those aren't half the guitar as the originals. I would love to see you restore it to it's original form as much as possible. I always thought the look of that guitar was fantastic. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Members

So how does it play? How does it sound?

It played fine when I last had it. From the little I was able to noodle on the disgusting strings, everythign still seems to be 'straight'. To be honest - I don't remember how it sounds it has been at least 15 years since I heard it played by me.. and back then .. what did I know?!?!? I would LIKE to think I have been able to refine my ear a bit since then. I did play it for at least 10 years as my #1.

• Members

The Ibanez Artists are supposed to be great guitars.

I was considering getting one before I purchased my Yamaha.

I'd say rewire it, cut yourself a new backplate for it, polish the finish (my guess it's poly like my Yammy), and play the hell out of it.

I think if you tried to polish the hardware (with something like Never Dull), you may take off the gold finish. Just clean up any of the crud that's built up and stop.

• Members

Those are great guitars! My friend and bandmate in junior high school had that exact guitar, very sweet. You don't see them around too much anymore and the newer remakes of those aren't half the guitar as the originals. I would love to see you restore it to it's original form as much as possible. I always thought the look of that guitar was fantastic. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I would have to disagree... the re-issues are great guitars. I had one at the end of last year. I sold it to help fund another purchase but it took alot of contemplation to let it go.

This is what it looked like..

CIMG1294.jpg

• Members
I would have to disagree... the re-issues are great guitars. I had one at the end of last year. I sold it to help fund another purchase but it took alot of contemplation to let it go.

This is what it looked like..

CIMG1294.jpg

That's cool - I just think the originals are much better IMO. FWIW, I like the look of your reissue too.

• Members

In my opinion, leave ding and scratches where they are. That's too much of a complex guitar to repaint in a DIY project, the risk is to make some kind of sloppy job (for istance dealing with bindings, trasparencies and stuff...) ruining the guitar.

You have a stunning piece of wood there as it is now, for me just a good rewiring job + hardware change would be enough. Obiouvsly, the baby needs a clean up and some plastic to cover that hole, but I think you don't need someone to make you notice that :D

And remember, there are people who spontaneously look for that kind of ding-and-scratchy relic finish: you have it for free, under this point of view you're very lucky :p

• Members

In my opinion, leave ding and scratches where they are. That's too much of a complex guitar to repaint in a DIY project, the risk is to make some kind of sloppy job (for istance dealing with bindings, trasparencies and stuff...) ruining the guitar.

You have a stunning piece of wood there as it is now, for me just a good rewiring job + hardware change would be enough. Obiouvsly, the baby needs a clean up and some plastic to cover that hole, but I think you don't need someone to make you notice that
:D

And remember, there are people who spontaneously look for that kind of ding-and-scratchy relic finish: you have it for free, under this point of view you're very lucky
:p

Kinda free -- I paid $600 way back when! But I understand what you mean. Just fixing it up to be playable is the way to go... I agree.

hmmm.. now I have to decide if .. since I am ripping it all out and starting fresh... what pups should I put in there? Since I just got an LP with Burstbuckers what other 'voicing' of double humbuckers should I look into.

• Members

What a lovely guitar! It's been said many times already but I echo the sentiments, I'd keep her just as she is cosmetically, looks naturally worn and all the better for it.

Personally I'd stick in a full new set of electrics and a couple of bare knuckles and rock her little socks off. You can easily cut a plate from any old plastic. Job done.

Have fun! :)

• Members
I like the way it looks man - mojo to spare! If it were mine, I'd just rewire it and get a new backplate for it, then call it a day... Just my 2 cents.

big time cudos! that thing is breathing life... lotta mojo, do the least to it. just the repairs that are in the way concerning playability and maybe inferior sound...

damn sexy!!!! :lol:

• Members

Odd comment about the bridge - are you sure about that? The one that's on there is a dead ringer for the bridge on my 82 AR300.

If you wanted to replace that stop tail, you could probably order one from Ibanez, as they seem to be identical to the current issue tails. It'll be shiiiiiney though, compared to everything else.

If it were mine - and it looks quite similar to the condition that mine was in when I got it - I'd get the gunk off the body with windex and a rag (can't beat it on poly), and follow that up with a swirl remover polish and 3M hand glaze, and then see what you've got. EBMM fretboard wipes, too.

Re-re-wire it with decent components and cut a new backplate. That's all it looks like it needs. My 2

• Members

Odd comment about the bridge - are you sure about that? The one that's on there is a dead ringer for the bridge on my 82 AR300.

If you wanted to replace that stop tail, you could probably order one from Ibanez, as they seem to be identical to the current issue tails. It'll be shiiiiiney though, compared to everything else.

If it were mine - and it looks quite similar to the condition that mine was in when I got it - I'd get the gunk off the body with windex and a rag (can't beat it on poly), and follow that up with a swirl remover polish and 3M hand glaze, and then see what you've got. EBMM fretboard wipes, too.

Re-re-wire it with decent components and cut a new backplate. That's all it looks like it needs. My 2

• Members
The bridge is definitely a replacement -- I found it in Nashville in the mid 90's. Great suggestions for cleaning it up too... Thanks!

That's ... odd. Here's an old pic of mine:

IMG_2635.jpg

the bridge looks pretty much identical..

• Members

That's ... odd. Here's an old pic of mine:

IMG_2635.jpg

the bridge looks pretty much identical..

You're talking about the reissue.... not the original I was posting about at the beginning of the thread... by the way -- that is GORGEOUS! needs a switch though.... :-)

• Members

You're talking about the reissue.... not the original I was posting about at the beginning of the thread... by the way -- that is GORGEOUS! needs a switch though.... :-)

Yeah, that's an old pic - i'd just cleaned it up at that point. It has a new switch and a couple year's worth of hard playing on it now. I love it. Between that and my tele, there's not a lot of ground I can't cover. It's my gibson gas killer. Every time i think about buying a les paul, i pick it up and bask in the double-cut goodness...

I'm drunk (and fair enough, it's 2:30 in the morning here) but I'm pretty sure that I was talking about the bridge on the original, although "pretty sure" is relative at this point of the night. Did you mean tailpiece, not bridge?

Archived