So I played at a Nursing Home yesterday afternoon

BigBone

• Members

Went to an 80th Birthday party/ Dinner for someone at a barbque joint. They brought him over from a nursing home. After the person I rode with was asked to come over to the "home" and play. He had a banjo and guitar in his truck which he always does, we get to the home, the Old Man gets permission, then they announced it over the P.A. at the Nursing home there was gonna be music.. I'm a little concerned because I have doubts they want to hear me but the other guy plays and sings old music and stuff like Slim Whitman etc but mostly old music from the 20's and 30's. Anyway we go in, I take the guitar and he starts, people start rolling in (literally). Some of them look next to dead and really down in the dumps which is understandable. One Lady said she dreamed the night before someone told her She was "going to a concert Tomorrow". Anyway after we played a few songs, the atmosphere in the room was so thick you'd need a knife to cut the air. Nurses would go by the door dancing and smiling, Damn that guy could sing, any song that the old folks requested he knew it cold. Somebody requested a song called Mollie Darling and I {censored} you not, even though he was the only one singing I heard someone singing harmony with him and it was loud enough it wasn't someone doing it under their breath, it was almost like there were Angels in the room singing.

I just backed him up on guitar and surprisingly to me didn't get lost, even when he put down the banjo and went ape{censored} on the harmonica a couple of times. We only played about thirty minutes but the difference on those peoples faces from we started and after we finished was something you just can't buy. Their faces went from lifeless and depressed to bright and smiling, eyes sparkling and just looking happy for a brief moment. It was probably the most emotional or spiritual gig I've ever played. I think I may have enjoyed it more than the audience. Definitely something I'd do again.

• Members

Very cool indeed!! gives ya some good karma to do that and its like therepy!So many musicians wanna know what theyre gonna get paid ,,how much and all that happy horse{censored} and you played and made some people feel good!!

• Members

I work in a Nursing Home and activities like this are a delight to the residents!!!!

We have one guy that faithfully comes in every week with a guitar and now has started bring a bass player with.....the residents really look forward to it.

You will never find a more rewarding benefit.

8^)

• Members

We only played about thirty minutes but the difference on those peoples faces from we started and after we finished was something you just can't buy. Their faces went from lifeless and depressed to bright and smiling, eyes sparkling and just looking happy for a brief moment.

A big thumbs up to BigBone and any musician who donates their time to play at nursing homes and hospitals. Around '89 my friend Chris grabbed me, 3 other musician friends and a D.J. (!?!) to perform a little "music revue" at nursing homes and V.A. hospitals.

Chris would come out first walking around the room playing banjo and telling corny jokes for a bit. He'd sit down and play accompanied by acoustic guitar and washboard playing Bluegrass & Country. A buddy and I on "those electricial guitars" played some 40's - 50's Pop and Jazz adding a little vintage rock at the V.A. hospitals. The D.J. played a "name that tune" game spinning songs going back to the 30's.

We did this off and on for about two years before Chris got called up for the Air Force reserves. Sadly, the "revue" dissolved and never rematerialized. But for a time, we loved bringing a smile to at least most of those who saw our little one hour show.

We couldn't please everyone... :bor: At one nursing home, a little old lady sat in silence watching us set up.

Then, just before the show started, she quite loudly asked "WHERES THE PIANO?"

• Members

:thu::thu::thu:

My mom is in a senior residence home and they have people come in and perform music or sing.

It is such a great thing to donate time like that. For a lot of residents, it is something to really look forward to, cause it isn't like they tend to get out a lot.

Nothing like doing something for others that makes you feel real good. Nice job.

• Members

Fantastic stuff, thats great,

I get overly emotional regarding the old folks homes, I had a fair bit of contact with them when I was young, anyway, What you did was worth way more than just about anything else I can think of.

"Spare a thought as you pass them by, take a closer look and you'll say,

he's our tomorrow just as much as we are his yesterday"

• Members
Their faces went from lifeless and depressed to bright and smiling, eyes sparkling and just looking happy for a brief moment. It was probably the most emotional or spiritual gig I've ever played. I think I may have enjoyed it more than the audience. Definitely something I'd do again.

That's what it's all about. :thu:

• Members

That's a great thing to do. Too many people forget about the elderly, period. When my mom was in a nursing home, I brought my guitar and played. The people there loved it. There was a resident in the room next to my mom's who literally cranked classic '50s and '60s Country on a daily basis on his CD player!

• Members

I worked at nursing homes for 8 years before blowing out my back(working with both geriatric and developmentally disabled adults) - the toughest job you'll ever love. It was very rewarding spiritually-speaking. It takes a very special person to do that kind of work, no doubt about it.

• Members

When I was nineteen I got stoned every day, ,,,I'm going to do it again when I'm 90. Music is a great gift to anyone, but especially those who are misfortunate enought to be stuck in the confines of a senior care center. Let's rock their world and pray that someone does it for us when we're there.

• Members

There is a guy at my Mom's nursing home, he performs 3-4 times a week. He is very popular. Probably a great way for musicians to pick up a little coin during the week.

This kinda thing is usually done on a volunteer basis out of human kindness......

Archived