ok, so i dont own a beatles album.

fuzzylogic220

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd go with Magical Mystery Tour as a starting point - It's a wonderful introduction to their psychedelic era.

Side A is a collection of their more spacey, psychedelic moments, and Side B a selection of their more radio-friendly stuff at the time. Because it's part soundtrack and part compilation, it lacks the unity of albums like Sgt. Pepper, but it more than makes up for it with it's powerful collection of of amazing songs.

• Members
i don't bother with the beatles.

doesn't do anything for me in this day and age,

as every rock band to date has taken and improved on them.

:eek::mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::cry::cry::cry::arg:
As a 14 yr old, I assure, no one especially among my generations music, has come close to The Beatles

• Members
Anyone who says the Beatles are overrated has no business posting on a music site. They should go to whiningbabieswhodontknow{censored}.com and post there.

Can't do it. I don't enjoy listening to it.

I'm not going to make any friends here so if you're sensitive don't read it. :)
All the die hard Beatles fans I know say their music is the best ever, they are right, you are wrong, no matter what. Kinda reminds me of all the die hard tool fans who feel the need to post comments on youtube about how everything is a ripoff and tool is the greatest band to ever walk the face of the earth. I happen to disagree on both counts.

FYI I can listen to a little bit of tool, so don't hound on me if you disagree with that. Maybe that will cut down on half the people flaming me. :lol:

• Members

hmm, this is a question where the list of what Beatles album NOT to buy would be shorter.
I recommend buying them ALL, but if you only could get three, lets say, i recommend:

White Album
Revolver
Meet The Beatles

Heck, there are 10 more Beatles releases in my mind that are ready to go next on the list but i'll limit it to those for now...

I sure didnt start out a Beatles fan, but I found my way there over time and now find great enjoyment in the masterpieces they wrote.

• Members

gee, where have i been? - i just looked up what people are referring to as "one" and i see it is a VERY decent looking compilation (released 2000), absolutely perfect for the unindoctrinated - heck, i may just go pick it up myself.
great recommendation!:thu:

• Members

Hate to hijack the thread, but it seems like many people don't care for Let It Be...why's that?

I love Let it Be but I would never put it as my favorite just because I think they have way stronger albums. Dig a Pony rocks tho.

My suggestion to the OP is to start at the beginning. Listen to them chronologically and stick to it. See how they evolved. You will want to hear it all.

• Members

Im so burnt out on the Beatles I cant even stand to hear them in the car next to me as I drive. Here in LA, all you have to do is tune the radio to K-Earth 101fm and you will hear a Beatles song within 10 minutes.

This is why I don't do radio. I almost quit listening to nirvana since i live in seattle

• Members

Don't worry, one day you'll know. Just listen to music untill you get them.

I'm 21, I've grown up mainly with older artists, I own some Beatles albums, as do my parents. They've done some good stuff, but there is no chance in hell I will ever see them above some of the artists I listen to ever, and it's not a case of 'getting them' - there just isn't that much to get.

They're not in a list of my parents top 10 bands ever either. The poster talking about Tool is right - it smacks of narrowminded people who refuse to believe that as music is totally subjective. I'm sure you're certain in your own head that anyone who doesn't love The Beatles is somehow insane, but alas, most probably the reverse is true.

Again, I've heard all The Beatles stuff, and I 'get them', I'm just also aware there's other stuff out there too, and that John, Paul, George and Ringo are not in fact the gods of music. Rather, they're 4 guys from Liverpool who put together some good records, just like 10CC are a good band from Manchester who put together some good records.

• Members

Buy these: :idea:

Please Please Me - (Parlophone, 1963)

With the Beatles - (Parlophone, 1963)

A Hard Day's Night - (Parlophone, 1964)

Beatles for Sale - (Parlophone, 1964)

Help! - (Parlophone, 1965)

Rubber Soul - (Parlophone, 1965)

Revolver - (Parlophone, 1966)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - (Parlophone, 1967)

Magical Mystery Tour - (U.S. only. Released as a Double EP in the UK) (Capitol, 1967)

The Beatles ("The White Album") - (Apple, 1968)

Yellow Submarine - (Apple, 1969)

Abbey Road - (Apple, 1969)

Let It Be - (Apple, 1970)

• Members

I don't like em either. I think they're overrated. Out of over 12,000 songs on my main iTunes playlist, there are no Beatles songs.

No I'm not 14 years old. I'm much, much, much older. In fact when I was 14, I did own all the Beatles lps, every last one of them. They've been abandoned in various apartments over the years.

My problem with them is a) overexposure and b) the suspicion that so much hype has gone into the whole "Beatles are the best rock band ever!" thing that people can't listen to them critically any more.

I think their songs are fine, a bit naive-sounding, with a fair amount of "poetic," clunky lyrics. Their harmonies are very well done. But I feel like for every good Beatles song, there's another one from that era by some other group in the same general style that I like better--and it's not just because the Beatles influenced everybody; in fact, the Beatles themselves acquired influences from everywhere (which I applaud, not blame them for). I don't like the over-production of the "Sgt Pepper" and after phase, though I bet I'd think "Revolver" was well-produced if I listened to it again.

I admit it's possible I'm just burnt out on them and their overbearing image. But who can keep the two separate any more?

• Members

wow!! thanks for all the responses! I'm differently going to buy some Cd's. i like the idea of starting from the beginning and seeing how they grew as a band..... so would anyone wanna post their albums in order? or post a link to somewhere that has a list.

Archived