ok, so i dont own a beatles album.

fuzzylogic220

• Members
watch what you say Griffin, we live in the same town.
:cop:

:D

I never actually insult the fans of any particular bands..just the bands themselves. I have no idea of why anyone would like Tom Waits, either...the vocals either make it or break it, IMO.

I'd better stop typing before I stir up a hornet's nest here..

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:D

I never actually insult the fans of any particular bands..just the bands themselves. I have no idea of why anyone would like Tom Waits, either...the vocals either make it or break it, IMO.

I'd better stop typing before I stir up a hornet's nest here..

Get out my town!:mad:

by the the 51 and 202 are messed up cause the President is here talking with McCain today. Messed my drive home up.

• Members

When I think of the Beatles, I think of the band first. One of my favorite bands that thoroughly enjoy listening to.

The second thing the Beatles bring to mind is all of the people who want to force down your ears how great they were blah blah blah which ruins the music experience for me and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I try not to think of the second idea too much, lest it ruin the music for me.

• Members

Bottom line, I'd rather listen to the Beatles than almost anything. Even a track like "Your Mother Should Know" (from "Magical Mystery Tour") is light years better than anything I'm hearing these days. There is way more personality and character to their music than exists in the entire music scene these days times ten, as far as I am concerned. Their impact on popular music cannot be overstated or overestimated. The Beatles rule, period.

• Members

Too?

Is that Rick Wakeman in your avatar? Is he your musical hero?

I don't think he'd agree with your musical taste. If I'm not mistaken, he did a tribute CD of Beatles music.

no he isnt my all time favourite, who cares if he likes them, i still dont, sorry, just not my thing, not everyone has too like them, i never have and never will, everyone is entitled to an opinion and i have given mine

• Members

I've never grown tired of listening to the Beatles in at least 37 years of consciousness. I most likely heard them in the 5+ years before that, too. But, it's hard to remember. The appreciation thereto may be diminished as generations pass, for some. But you cannot deny their contribution if you study music at all. Groundbreaking stuff.

• Members

Two rules on listening to music critically:

1- Music is supposed to move you, so listen to whetever makes you happy, or sad, or whatever, and don't apologize for it. However, just because it moves you in some way, don't insist that it's "great" or "influential," when in fact most of what we like is derivative crap.

I refer to this as the Jimmy Buffett rule.

It's corollary:

2- Just because it doesn't move you, or appeal to you, or if you're just sick of hearing it, don't insist that something is "crap" or "overrated" when, as a matter of fact, it's hugely influential and within the context of Rock music, "Great" and "important."

I call this the "U2 rule," and it's the one that is relevant to this discussion.

It's okay to not care for the Beatles, or to be sick of hearing their hits. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Even the most hard-core Beatles fan doesn't get all that excited when "Let it Be" comes on the radio for the billionth time. Ignore everyone who wants to "convert" you and listen to what you want.

But to claim that the Beatles are overrated, or that they only have one or two good songs is just silly.

• Members
Abbey Road
The White Album

Those are the only 2 you NEED.
Then if you like them enough (and you should) you can move on to:

Revolver
Rubber Soul

And if you like those 2:

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

But forget the Beatles, check out Genesis' "Selling England By The Pound" and "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" :)

Archived