Do you study music theory, or just wing it?

ebidis

• Members

I'm a little of both. Study theory to broaden my horizons (don't understand how some people think it will actually hurt their playing), but love to cut loose and just let it flow witout thinking when I can.

Since learning theory, I have realized there are fantastic places my playing can go that I never would have known (thought of) before. However, after you know it, you can pretty much just run on auto pilot and not have to worry about it. If that makes any sense.

• Members

i study it pretty strictly. working on modes, jazz theory, chord theory, progressions, etc.

it REALLY helps.

for example, right now i'm about halfway through learning django's "the world is waiting for the sunrise" playing by ear. i've got it pretty spot on and am almost done with the solo.

and my guitar teacher has also forced me to not look at tabs anymore and when possible learn everything by ear.

i want to go to berklee college of music when i get out of high school so it's something i'd have to learn anyway :thu:

• Members

i study it pretty strictly. working on modes, jazz theory, chord theory, progressions, etc.

it REALLY helps.

for example, right now i'm about halfway through learning django's "the world is waiting for the sunrise" playing by ear. i've got it pretty spot on and am almost done with the solo.

and my guitar teacher has also forced me to not look at tabs anymore and when possible learn everything by ear.

i want to go to berklee college of music when i get out of high school so it's something i'd have to learn anyway
:thu:

Yeah Iv'e been working on ear training lately. Can be dificult but the rewards are great.

• Members

I have a four-year music degree.

Barely a fraction of it gets applied to my guitar playing.

Three chords and the truth is all you need to rock.

So true! It's not like when I am soloing I am thinking "Oh I can or can't do that" but it comes in handy in analyzing/learning other peoples music. I also find it has improved my rhythem playing greatly just because I now understand how cords are structured, so I can experiment more. Plus I just find it fun and interesting.

It's funny too, because most people I know who have studied theory say they don't apply it to their playing much. I guess, just like me, after learning all the stuff they realise that you can pretty much do anything you want and it will work. :)

• Members

I have a four-year music degree.

Barely a fraction of it gets applied to my guitar playing.

Three chords and the truth is all you need to rock.

I also studied music extensively in college; truth be told, it can be very useful in composition, especiall with chord work and melody. It seems a little less important in soloing and just plain rocking out. Point well taken- it can be a valuable tool in music composition and rounding out your sound/style, but it's not absolutely necessary to get down and rock out

• Members

both.

as a youngster it was mostly learning on my own after on and off lessons between the ages of about 7 to 10.

now that i know better (and am a very busy teacher) i've been steadily brushing up on theory that i've 'kinda' known thru experience, but have been really tightening up on with lots of reading and discussions with other teachers.

• Members

I've not heard people say it can 'hurt' your playing - but there are a helluva lot of BIG guitar heroes that don't have a clue about music theory... sometimes it's the things you play that are "wrong" that make a song interesting. :idk:

some people need to know how their car works & why - some are content to just drive.

• Members

Wing it all the way :]

I've only ever taught myself how to play, and as much as i like the idea of little me being taught from an early age, i'm really liking where i am with my playing at the moment.

I have a friend who is basically a walking encyclopedia of music theory, but he can't write a good song. On the other hand, all my writing is basically drawn from improvisation, so i'm running the risk of eventually sounding samey unless i can keep up with learning as much music and as many songs as possible week after week, which gets tiring to be honest...

Both have their merits and their restrictions i guess...

• Members

I don't believe education has restrictions

I half agree with you, but education does have its limits- the limits of the instructor for starters. That said, having someone there to say that your fingering of a chord would be easier if you did this or that instead etc would be a massive help and learning tool.

However I don't feel that there's anything that i could be taught by someone else that i couldn't teach myself in the same amount of time- definitely would have been awesome to have when i was starting out- but once you've reached a certain level of competance with the instrument there's not really that much out there that you can't tackle yourself...

• Members

I half agree with you, but education does have its limits- the limits of the instructor for starters. That said, having someone there to say that your fingering of a chord would be easier if you did this or that instead etc would be a massive help and learning tool.

However I don't feel that there's anything that i could be taught by someone else that i couldn't teach myself in the same amount of time- definitely would have been awesome to have when i was starting out- but once you've reached a certain level of competance with the instrument there's not really that much out there that you can't tackle yourself...

i think you're horribly wrong and are short changing yourself from many possibilities.

• Members

I've always winged it and regret doing so when I started 20 years ago. I never progressed like I had hoped. Now that I'm back playing again after a 12 year hiatus, I'm making an effort to learn at least SOME theory and practice practice practice.

• Members

It's funny too, because most people I know who have studied theory say they don't apply it to their playing much.
:)

Of course they do. They just don't think about it. They apply it subconsciously. Music has a structure. If you stray too far from the structure you will lose a lot of listeners. You can put a cat on a piano keyboard and sounds will come from the instrument. But it has no structure. It is not music. It is just sounds. You can learn the theory formally or you can figure it out for yourself but you can't play music without applying music theory.

Archived