Pignose G-60VR tube combo amp - how bout it?

brandass

• Members

Extracted from the Hot Deals thread:

http://www.goingtoday.com/memorialday_sale.cfm

Pignose G-60VR Guitar Tube Combo Amp

$269.00 + $5.00 shipping.

g60vs.jpg

as compared to $529.99 at MF.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G60VR-Guitar-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=489058

Edit: the amp doesn't seem to come up on my link... you'll have to refresh to find it... sorry.

Maybe in part as reaction to the supa lame GC MD "sale" (what a waste!) I'm GASsing really hard for this guy. Reviews generally look positive, as usual. Any opinions? I should say that I'm looking to use it in my "home studio" (read "guest bedroom"), so good tone at low volume will be important (maybe need an attenuator?), and it'd be for raunchy blues and blues-rock. Thanks!

• Members

If youre expecting to use a G-60VR in your bedroom, youre as crazy as a rat with his tail on fire!

$260 is a great price for a G-60VR! I recently bought one of those NOS for half that price and immedietely sent it to my local tech for a bias cirduit, a standby switch, a new fuse holder and a complete tube swap to JJ's. After that, I added a used ToneTubby 12" speaker and never looked back.

What I ended up with is a REALLY nice, solid amp. Good cleans, pedal friendly, superb reverb and slammin Blues distortion but no extra channels or other gegaws or frills.

My amp tech estimates that this amp puts out about 45 "real" watts, which means that it's loud as Hell and he says that it's very "mod friendly" so if you want a Blues amp thats simple, rugged, reliable and servicable (Quality and style at a price we can all afford...), you cant go wrong. If you want or need anything else buy a different amp.

If you really need a recording amp, build a 1/2 watt Gilmore Jr. That Pignose kicks way to much ass for that! On the other hand, if you need a good reliable mid powered amp for giging or garage play, buy a Pignose 60VR.

• Members

Saw The Dirtbombs recently and that's what Mick Collins was playing through. Sounded great and had plenty of volume for a huge stage. They miced it through the PA for sound though...probably a 3-500 capacity venue.

• Members

They are available again (5/26) @Goingtoday for that price. The 40 watter is also there for 100 bucks less. I don't know how they compare beside wattage but if you act fast you may have some options.

• Members

It does have a volume and a master, so you can play it at lower volumes, too, no?

Obviously you won't get the same power tube breakup, but you could still use it at home.

Oh yeah, and if you hit refresh at goingtoday.com, they have over 100 items up, including the 40 and 60 pignose tube amps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Mine came and I finally got a chance to play through it extensively last night. I'm impressed.

Very nice clean, reverb sounds good to me, the tone stack is very responsive and the amount of distortion on tap is pretty good. It really starts to shine as you open it up and drive the 6L6GCs. It liked most of the pedals I tried with it, and it really took to my Boss SD1.

I tried a Squier with the cheap ceramic single coils (they sound OK at bedroom volumes...but otherwise not so much), a Gretsch with a TV Jones Powertron (loverly) and my new Gibson Melody Maker (that was fun!).

It's a good amp, period. For the price they sold them at, it's an excellent value. Now I wanna play it with our band, see what it sounds like in the mix.

• Members

Got my Pignose last week I got the G40V and am also impressed for such a diminuitive amp in size it makes up for in sound. Using an OCD I just bought with the Pignose just about at breakup is pretty friggen sweet. Way more than I expected sound wise. The question is do I buy another for that price for a killer stereo rig???? hmmmm....

• Members

It's a good amp, period. For the price they sold them at, it's an excellent value. Now I wanna play it with our band, see what it sounds like in the mix.

I can't speak for the G60v but my G40v to my band mates, they seemed more impressed with the tone I was getting from the Pignose G40v than the tone from the week prior with my then new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered tweed edition. The sound mixed well with bass and drums. Odd thing was the Hot Rod Deluxe didn't seem to mix as well as the Pignose. The HR Deluxe took more tweaking to get the sound I wanted but in the band context it seemed either too quiet or too loud. Strange. The Pignose fits perfectly though!

Kind of makes me laugh that to my band mates a $180 amp sounded better than the $550 amp a week before. I might sort of agree with that myself.

Also the speaker didn't sound as bad as I was thinking it would from reviews I had read. I did bring my Raezer's Edge "One 8" cabinet, and plugged in it did sound thicker than the stock speaker even though the Raezer's Edge has an 8" speaker compared to the 10" Pignose stock speaker. Must be that awesome Eminence Alpha 8A speaker. I may have to pick up an Eminence Alpha 10A for a replacement as it sounds sweet through the 8A extension cab.

• Members

I think they both were a steal. I sorta wish I'd bought one of each instead of two 40s, but that's ok. The speaker in the 40 doesn't sound bad, but the Fender Special Design that I put in it sounds MUCH better.

Anyone looking at boutique amps who doesn't seriously considering getting one of these and modding it, is missing out. And potentially spending a LOT more money than they have to.

• Members

Extracted from the Hot Deals thread:

Maybe in part as reaction to the supa lame GC MD "sale" (what a waste!) I'm GASsing really hard for this guy. Reviews generally look positive, as usual. Any opinions? I should say that I'm looking to use it in my "home studio" (read "guest bedroom"), so good tone at low volume will be important (maybe need an attenuator?), and it'd be for raunchy blues and blues-rock. Thanks!

That f*cker will peel the paint from your walls, crack your ceiling plaster, and blow out your windows.

NOT a bedroom amp.

Get a Champ and couple pedals. :wave:

• Members

That f*cker will peel the paint from your walls, crack your ceiling plaster, and blow out your windows.

NOT a bedroom amp.

True...but having said that I had mine dimed in my bedroom for 20 minutes yesterday.:p

Still...my Sovtek MIG50 through my 2X12 seems louder.....

Archived