What's the deal with Bill Lawrence these days?

belovedmonster

• Members

Now they have lost the court case do Bill and Becky still make the L500 type humbuckers? I emailed them about it and I've bad no reply so far (though it was only a few days ago so maybe I'm just being inpatient).

Are they just going to carry on as usual but under a different brand name? What's the deal?

I searched the forum but couldnt find anything. Point me to the previous thread if this has already been discussed. :thu:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're too busy making pickups to answer email. Their website kinda sucks too, but their pickups rule. The best way to get information, order pickups, etc. is to call them. Here's the number: (951) 371-1494

Here's the toll free number: 877-647-2651

• Members

bill sold to his partner

beckie spread rumours (apparently)

bill and beckie started making pickups identical to the other bill lawrence ones, but instead of the original company making the money, they make the money

so now you have 2 groups of people selling VERY similar pickups under similar names. Money grab.

• Members

I don't think anything has changed recently with the BL situation :confused: Bill is still making pickups at home that he can't market under the name Bill Lawrence, as he doesn't have the rights to that name anymore. His old business partner is kicking out the same pickups BL was making in the 70s, but in some factory in Asia I imagine as opposed to the hand made ones the man himself still makes. Even if the design is exactly the same (and supposedly BL has changed it somewhat) I'd take the ones hand made by the guy who originally created them.

• Members

Aside from Rich4Once's sensible advice, everything else in this thread is essentially misinformation -- rumors and hearsay. I don't know everything about the situation, but I do know enough to offer some corrections:

1. There is no business relationship between Bill Lawrence, the sole and indisputable holder of the "Bill Lawrence

• Members

I think that it is one of those situations where no matter what side of it you hear there are going to be contradictions between stories.

I do know that I bought a set of pickups that were made by Bill and Becky Lawrence.

I know that he helped to design the Fender SCN pickups and that his name is good enough for Fender to use it as a selling point.

I know that they replied to me quickly through email though that seems to be the exception.

The only other fact that I can present from personal experience is that their pickups kick ass.

• Members

bill sold to his partner

beckie spread rumours (apparently)

bill and beckie started making pickups identical to the other bill lawrence ones, but instead of the original company making the money, they make the money

so now you have 2 groups of people selling VERY similar pickups under similar names. Money grab.

Incorrect.

• Members

As the 2nd post says, CALL THEM. I ordered one a couple of months ago and they aren't really internet savvy and don't respond to email that much. I got Becky on the phone right away.

Bill Lawrence USA is the "bad" company's name. Bill Lawrence just markets his pups as Bill Lawrence.

• Members

Isn't his name really Willi Lorenz or is that the bad company?

Willi Stich, I think.

He's the engineer/builder...the one that collaborated with Fender designing the SCN's, and he was Gibson's pickup guru for a while.

Willi Stich's legal name is now Bill Lawrence. He is associated with this website, as well as the brand names "Wylde" and "Keystone":

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/Introduction.htm

He's the "real deal", so to speak. His products are excellent. The website is a little difficult to navigate, and a little primitive when ordering products, but you'll be rewarded for your efforts with some of the best stuff on the market, in my opinion.

• Members

He's the "real deal", so to speak. His products are excellent. The website is a little difficult to navigate, and a little primitive when ordering products, but you'll be rewarded for your efforts with some of the best stuff on the market, in my opinion.

could you describe his pickup (the famous one)?

Is it hot? Is it trebly, middy, bassy? Does it have great note definition? anything?

• Members

could you describe his pickup (the famous one)?

Is it hot? Is it trebly, middy, bassy? Does it have great note definition? anything?

The "famous" one that everyone talks about is the humbucker that Darrell Abbott used (which I have no experience with). I think that it was called the L-500. You should call Becky at their workshop for information...she'll give you specifics.

His noiseless single coils are what I have experience with...and they're absolutely fantastic.

• Members

2. Saying products are "the same pickups BL was making in the 70s" is a marketing claim, not a fact -- nobody associated with Bill during the 1970s is currently making such pickups and therefore nobody is in any position to say if their stuff is "the same" or not!

I'm pretty sure BL would be in a position to say that. Or, you could compare a 70s original BL to a current BLUSA and a current BL and find out for yourself.

And as far as his workshop, I meant he's making them himself, not that it was literally in his garage :rolleyes: You know, not being made in a factory somewhere.

• Members

You sure about that "Asia" part? Scroll down to the very last posting.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-467725.html

Did you see the "I imagine" part of my post? I'm glad you posted that information, but I already answered that question ;)

It also supports what I was saying earlier - that BLUSA is basically carrying on with what BL did in the 70s whereas BL has continued to change his designs and create new pickups as well.

• Members

too much bull{censored} involved; imho the brand is tainted and I wouldn't buy from either one, even though the pickups are fine from either as far as I've heard- "Bill" shoulda took a queue from Gary Kramer and Wayne Charvel and come up with a new brand after he took off on his own.

Also, if you are doing internet business and have a business email, you oughta be "savvy" enough to check it a couple times a day, also imho.

• Members

This should be stickied since it pops up every few months.

Here's the facts:

Willi Lorenz Stich (The guy now named "Bill Lawrence") started Lawrence Sound Research (LSR) in 1976. Jzchak Wajcman joined Stich in 1982.

In 1985 LSR went bankrupt and was liquidated. Wajcman bought the assets of LSR including the trademark "Bill Lawrence".

Stich sued to reclaim the trademark claiming that he had been using that name since the early 60s, but at least as of August 2007 the courts have agreed with Wajcman.

As to the pickups themselves, "Bill Lawrence USA" (Wajcman's company) claims they are using the original manufacturing equipment from the LSR days. So, presumably, if you want an L-500 like Bill Perry played back in the 70's, Bill Lawrence USA is the way to go.

If you want a "boutique" pickup made in a small shop by the man who designed the L-500, then Bill & Becky Lawrence is the way to go.

Neither man is a villian, neither pickup is "fake". Wajcman continues to do business as "Bill Lawrence USA" which he is certainly entitled to do since he purchased the company and all of its assets.

Bill Lawrence (Stich) sells pickups as well. He has tried for years to reclaim the "Bill Lawrence" trademark (which is certainly his legal right), but has failed. He now seems to be switching to "Wilde" and "Keystone" names for his pickups.

• Members

Well neither obviously wants to lose the association with the name, that's for damn sure.

I know that plenty of people give Bill and Becky a hard time about slow email response...let me reiterate; I sent them an email and was replied to in great depth within a few hours.

As for being internet savvy, well lets just say that Bill's talents obviously don't include HTML; its a pretty spartan website. Fine with me, I ain't buying pickups based on his made coding skills. He's an older guy that builds pickups and builds them very well. They've got a phone number and state pretty clearly that they prefer that for communication; shouldn't be a big problem.

Someone asked what pickups I had; I have the noiseless strat L280 set and the noiseless Fender SCN's that he helped design. I've never been interested in the humbucker to be honest, the noiseless stuff is phenomenal though.

• Members

This should be stickied since it pops up every few months.

Here's the facts:

Willi Lorenz Stich (The guy now named "Bill Lawrence") started Lawrence Sound Research (LSR) in 1976. Jzchak Wajcman joined Stich in 1982.

In 1985 LSR went bankrupt and was liquidated. Wajcman bought the assets of LSR including the trademark "Bill Lawrence".

Stich sued to reclaim the trademark claiming that he had been using that name since the early 60s, but at least as of August 2007 the courts have agreed with Wajcman.

As to the pickups themselves, "Bill Lawrence USA" (Wajcman's company) claims they are using the original manufacturing equipment from the LSR days. So, presumably, if you want an L-500 like Bill Perry played back in the 70's, Bill Lawrence USA is the way to go.

If you want a "boutique" pickup made in a small shop by the man who designed the L-500, then Bill & Becky Lawrence is the way to go.

Neither man is a villian, neither pickup is "fake". Wajcman continues to do business as "Bill Lawrence USA" which he is certainly entitled to do since he purchased the company and all of its assets.

Bill Lawrence (Stich) sells pickups as well. He has tried for years to reclaim the "Bill Lawrence" trademark (which is certainly his legal right), but has failed. He now seems to be switching to "Wilde" and "Keystone" names for his pickups.

+1

Thank you for posting that.

I get so tired of the whole thing. I won't buy from either one of them because neither can seem to be able to run their businesses without slinging mud at each other.

They need to start acting like adults.

• Members

The pickups Bill makes are excellent. I suspect the reason that he's upset about the Wajcman deal is this...he's selling what Bill believes to be an inferior product under the name Bill Lawrence. Bill designed the damn thing, and I would think he could tell the difference.

In fact, Bill has continued to design and build pickups...he's got a lot more than just the L-500 to his credit.

I have 7 of Bill's pickups in 4 different guitars, and I highly recommend them.

Archived